Garrett Pro Pointer problem ?

Billw

Hi guys, I just got the Pro Pointer a few weeks and love it so far, don't know how I got along with out it this long.

I am curious about something that happens periodically. Sometime when I turn on the Pro Pointer either inside the hole or outside the hole, I will probe the hole and it starts going crazy. It's beeping and vibrating with no pattern at all. So when I raise it up out of the hole and hold it in front of my face it is still beeping and vibrating ? I have to shut it off to get it to stop. I tried a new battery and it still happens.

Has anyone else experienced this or do I have a bad Pro Pointer ?

Thanks

Bill

Happens once in a while for me. Do you push hard on the tip of the detector when looking in a hole? I know sometimes that can do it.

You should turn the Pro-Pointer on before placing it into the hole, unless you are trying to get a smaller pin-point on the target.

If you are trying to get a smaller pin-point, then place the tip near (not on) the target before turning it on.

Turning it on while near metal can mess up the senititivity of the Pro-pointer.

It sounds to me like a weak battery....are you sure the battery you tried was a good one.

Wouldn't be the first time a new battery was bad.

I hope this helps.

I could have been pushing the tip in the dirt hard, don't really remember. Why, does that screw it up ? I put a new energizer battery in right out of the package. I guess it could have been bad out of the package, but I doubt it.

Should I keep trying it or send it back to Garrett ?

Mine does that too, but only once every time I go out, tops. For me it's not an issue and I just turn it off and back on and it's fine. I'm still on my first battery, so I don't know if that might be the cause.

I've also noticed it acting funny if you push too hard on the tip. Mine starting acting up a lot today, I changed out the battery and it stopped

Yes. If you push hard on the tip it will sound. I see people all the time push the button right in the hole or as they're placing it in hole. It's best if you turn it on away from any metal. Wait until the alert goes off then probe. I have never had the need to detune the machine. It's very accurate right off the tip.

That would happen to me alot. I put a penny in the lid to make better contact and it has worked great. Give it a try and let me know if it works for you.

I do not think it is a big issue. I had my Pro Pointer for some time now and when it does that crazy beeping for no reason... I just turn it off and on as well. And all is fine.

My Garrett went haywire

I picked up a new garrett two weeks ago. I was shown how to detune for accuracy. That part quit today. I turn it on and it goes full vibrate, non stop. A new battery didn't help, neither did a second one. I tested both batteries when I got home both were full charged. I leave next Saturday for an 8 state vacation, without a pointer. I am sure it will be replaced as I hear warranty is good, but I doubt that I can get one shipped to oregon before I leave. I saw on another post that it can do haywire if you push too hard on tip. If that is true, Garrett needs to re-design. How hard is too hard?? I actually didn't see a large improvement from the Bullseye except for side scan, the Garrett is much better on that. Or did I just plain get a totally bad one??

You must have gotten a bad one because the Bullseye is not even close to the Propointer. It takes some really hard pressure to the end to make it click slightly. But in no way should it just start blasting. I'll bet a call direct to Garrett will get you a replacement before you leave.

put the penny in the cap so that it will push the battery down to the contacts.:DIt has worked very well for me. I have not had any problems with mine since I have done that.

Mine goes wonky when I push on the side opposite the logo. It is fine if I push on the logo side. Don't have to push that hard either. I imagine I'm going to have to get it replaced.

Well, I am going to send mine in to Garrett. I went out MD'ing tonight after work and got so frustrated with it, I packed up and went home. If I jiggle it in my hand it starts going crazy. Any dirt I touched with it at any pressure at all, it went crazy. If I push on the sides of it anywhere, logo or backside, it went crazy. It was completely useless. The battery is brand new.

Listen to me whine. I don't know how I got along with out it for all this time. Now that it isn't working right I don't even want to go out. Lol.

I feel naked without a pinpointer! That's a bad image for a 50 year old! Years ago I thought that I didn't need no craping pinpointer! Then I built a cheap one and decided I did indeed need one! Garrett will make it right for you.

Were you wearing a ring on the hand holding the Propointer? I find sometimes my hand will slip down the side a little and the ring will make it chirp.

Nope, don't wear a ring. I spoke with Garrett and they told me it was faulty and I sent it in yesterday for a replacement. Good customer service from Garrett !

Nope, don't wear a ring. I spoke with Garrett and they told me it was faulty and I sent it in yesterday for a replacement. Good customer service from Garrett !

Yes...They have good customer service.....Sue in Customer service/Tech support is a friend of mine and a member of our club here.....She supports Garrett all the way and we pick on each other as I support White's..:p.We have a great time on the hunts....They'll take good care of you.....:yes::yes:..

Propointer Beep, Beep and Beep

I have the same issue everyone is describing touch the ground and it beeps. My other concern, my pointer is not even two months old and it beeps constantly, not near a metal objects. I've replaced the battery many times and constantly still beeps for no reason, this happens with out having contact with the ground. I called KelllyCO and customer support told me to hold the button down 5-7 seconds when turning it on with a new battery. I've tried that and that didn't fix the problem. Should i just call Garret direct or go through KellyCo again? Thank for looking. :?:

Back
Top Bottom