• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Wahooo, got my new to me Safari today!!

coin pirate

Forum Supporter
Just arrived, finished assembling, pretty sweet. Ordered a Dust cover, and might order a replacement arm cuff bracket, not sure how comfortable the original one is going to be, not sure I like the feel already. Tested it out, all functions good, air tested some coins, tested my headphones, all seems good, now if only my truck wasn't broke down temporarily I could go out and detect today, nice out and in the upper 50's. Might have to settle for playing in the yard, if nothing else, it will help me start to learn it.

picture.php

picture.php

Dust cover I ordered with removable sun visor
picture.php

Obviously I have heard much about the Nox and Vanquish series, but I havent seen much on the safari...how does it stack up in relation to the Nox, Vanquish, or the CTX 3030?

Obviously I have heard much about the Nox and Vanquish series, but I havent seen much on the safari...how does it stack up in relation to the Nox, Vanquish, or the CTX 3030?

I have a safari. It is a simplified version of an E-trac. It is a FBS detector like the E-trac and the CTX 3030 but doesn't have near as many adjustments. It is a really good detector and does great on coins.

The biggest complaint on the safari is it's slow recovery speed. But it actually recovers fairly quick. The issue is that the display lags as it passes from target to target. If a person is hunting by tones, then they won't notice the display lag. If you hear a good tone, you just need to make sure you let the safari settle the display over the target to give you the right VDI.

PM me and ill give you a address to pick up an aluminum arm rest.

I have a safari. It is a simplified version of an E-trac. It is a FBS detector like the E-trac and the CTX 3030 but doesn't have near as many adjustments. It is a really good detector and does great on coins.

The biggest complaint on the safari is it's slow recovery speed. But it actually recovers fairly quick. The issue is that the display lags as it passes from target to target. If a person is hunting by tones, then they won't notice the display lag. If you hear a good tone, you just need to make sure you let the safari settle the display over the target to give you the right VDI.
So a step up from the Nox series then? With the advent of Multi-IQ in the lower priced models (e.g. Vanquish) is FBS that much more capable? My knowledge of the intricacies of the higher-end detectors is rather limited... [emoji53]

So a step up from the Nox series then? With the advent of Multi-IQ in the lower priced models (e.g. Vanquish) is FBS that much more capable? My knowledge of the intricacies of the higher-end detectors is rather limited... [emoji53]

Depends on what you consider a "step up."

It has slower recovery speed, greater weight, higher price and can't be used underwater. But from what I hear, it's one of the best machines at finding silver.

However, I wonder how much better a Safari could do against a properly adjusted Equinox...

Most people won't admit it but the old Explorer XS(FBS) and other models from 15+ years ago are a step up from a lot of the new ones with all their bells and whistles. Anytime a new model comes out with all kinds of hype and extras, it seems like there are tons of returns failures etc, look at the AT pro when it first came out, what a nightmare for owners, supposed to have been waterproof and had failures galore, the Nox has more complaints I've read than positives over any other detector, and I believe half the positives are BS, some people don't want to admit they were buffaloed regardless. Some will claim they are the best detector ever made and nothing anyone will say will ever changer their mind, and that's fine, most will tell you you're not using it right, I don't buy it. The Nox from I understand is lightweight, and a Gold killer, but you'll never beat an Explorer, Safari, E-trac, CTX for coins. Too many professional and amateur reviews to dispute.

However, I wonder how much better a Safari could do against a properly adjusted Equinox...

It depends on what you want out of your hobby, adjusting all the time or just hunt and have fun, seems many people take the fun out of it and made it a business from it. Bottom line, most all detectors cheap, expensive, low to high quality, different detection types all have a place in the hobby. Best not to get hung up on who thinks whats the best, but whats best for you.

Thanks for the insights everyone [emoji16]. I appreciate it. I now return the thread to its originally intended discussion lol. Congrats on the new machine CP!

It depends on what you want out of your hobby, adjusting all the time or just hunt and have fun, seems many people take the fun out of it and made it a business from it. Bottom line, most all detectors cheap, expensive, low to high quality, different detection types all have a place in the hobby. Best not to get hung up on who thinks whats the best, but whats best for you.
This is why I wish there was a MD dealer/store that would allow "test-drives" lol. I like the hands on knowledge, but I cant afford to buy one of everything to see what I like; hence my questions. [emoji23]

Thanks for the insights everyone [emoji16]. I appreciate it. I now return the thread to its originally intended discussion lol. Congrats on the new machine CP!

Thanks, and hey, I don't mind, ask away on my threads, pertinent to the topic or not, I'm not hung up on thread hijacking, been know to do it myself:p

So you're saying the question of whether a Safari is better than an Equinox at finding silver coins is an irrelevant question?

I've considered a Safari as my next detector, but for its price, I don't know how I can justify it. But if it outperforms an Equinox in certain contexts, such as finding silver coins (my highest priority targets right now), then that changes things.

So you're saying the question of whether a Safari is better than an Equinox at finding silver coins is an irrelevant question?

I've considered a Safari as my next detector, but for its price, I don't know how I can justify it. But if it outperforms an Equinox in certain contexts, such as finding silver coins (my highest priority targets right now), then that changes things.
Agreed, but someone else with a Safari might find more than me due to many factors, location, skill, etc. But as far as a consensus, I've read waaaaaay more positive things about the FBS machines at finding coins(my priority target) than alot of other machines, I also choose it for it's ease of use, I haven't played with it more than 20 minutes or so far, but I can tell already I'll spend more time learning it's tell in the field than learning tons of misc settings with this machine. And I was trying not to offend other machine users, as some can easily be miffed by another opinion, and there are plenty of users whom have dug more coins with their specific machine in one year than I will in a lifetime, doesn't necessarily make their machine easier to find them. Do some video googling about the Safari, I think you'll be more than impressed. Oh, and price, don't be afraid to buy used, I did, no regrets, just check it out best you can, I'm a firm believer of getting more for your money used than new. Example; I've found several really nice C5-C6 Corvettes for under 20k with low mileage, or I could buy a New Chevy Equinox for 24k, guess what I'm buying this summer:p

Back
Top Bottom