Pointer by harbor freight bites

Dr. Detroit

Elite Member
Just my opinion, but one crapy pointer...the button hadn't been pushed 25 times and already messing up...Need a pro pointer...anyone has one for sale PM me please....don't waste your money..

Tis true, The button needs to be upgraded.

But is also true it's damn good for the 17.00, and way better than no pointer.

Also true the garrett rocks :yes:

If I could replace this button it wouldn't be as bad. It only two week since new. They have a 90 day workmanship warranty. I think I will return it or swap it.

It's all I can afford right now, but mine has been working great. I'm sure it is nowhere as nice as a Garrett but you can only do what you can do. I've seen threads on here where people modified speaker for vibrating indicator, I'm sure you can solder a new button or switch. Again for 17 bucks you can't beat it. Take it back since its within 90 days.

I have four of them on order, 2 for friends and 2 for myself. I read up on the switch problem before I ordered them and it shouldn't be a problem since I'm a ham.
If I hadn't just bought a new detector I would probably have gone with the Garrett and will more than likely have one in the future.......But they have problems too.

mine is 3 Years old, have replaced the button, removed annoying speaker and replaced with vibrator from cell phone and tweaked the receive pot, it now works better than My Sons Fisher pointer. and for what I paid for it (14.00) it is a hell of a good pointer. Yes I would like to have a Pro Pointer and will one day, just cant afford it now.

I wouldn't bother returning it, it's guaranteed the switch will go out within your 1st 2-3 hunts. I didn't belive all the posts I read, but sure enough, it went out on my 3rd hunt. I'd spend your gas $ on a trip to radio shack for a switch.

I have a post on it that shows the switch I put in.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=151019

will return and look into replacing the switch in the future....

As of late, it seems issues with the Garrett, and the Centech, are about neck and neck... I have used my stock switch for 3/4 of a season so far, and it is giving me a bunch of heck now, I keep having top push it till the light comes on.. I will be hitting radio shack in a little bit...

Like XRR said, I would not even bother to return it, just a waste of fuel and time, you should spend that fuel, and time, getting a new switch, if you are a HAM, it could not be easier for you!

Just my 2¢

<*)))>{

I soldered a new switch in last night, loving it even more now!! Besides cutting the hole larger for the new switch, it took all of about a minute to solder the two wires on the new switch...

RTG now...:yes:

<*)))>{

My switch started going bad on the first hunt.
A trip to Radio Shack later, a new one was installed.

Didn't seem to fit so good so I just used some electrical tape.
Worked fine after that for the next 3 months I used it, and then I put it away when I got a Propointer.

Attachments

• tttt.jpg
    tttt.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 190
That thing looks beat:laughing: Too many rings found with it and the F2!

My switch started going bad on the first hunt.
A trip to Radio Shack later, a new one was installed.

Didn't seem to fit so good so I just used some electrical tape.
Worked fine after that for the next 3 months I used it, and then I put it away when I got a Propointer.

Stopped by the shack on my way to a hunt yesterday...

5 minutes at Radio Shack, 5 minutes at my bar + a $3.00 switch= a $17.00 pinpointer I love even more!!

0508132147_zpse6e71cff.jpg

So far (since 8/1/2012) 8 silver coins, 2 silver rings, over $80 in clad, over 50 wheats..

I'm ok with mine...

YMMV :roll:

<*)))>{

For the price, the Centech does great. For me, a hobby isn't a top financial priority. Think that's about the same for most. You try to keep the cost down, buy what you need most, do the best you can. It's something you do for fun, in your spare time. If you have to work at it, to pay for your equipment, or justify the expense, it's not quite as rewarding, more like work. You make do, with what you can afford to spend on your recreation. Part of the fun, is being creative. The Centech, is no ProPointer, but then again, it only costs a fraction. Must be pretty good though, since it's discussed quite a bit in comparison. I got one, fully aware that it was cheap, and would likely need some work, might not last for long. It's very simple to work on, and has out lived my ProPointer. Replaced the switch, before it even had a chance to fail, didn't like holding the button in to use it. Beep was loud and annoying, had several pager motors I'd been saving. Works well for me, haven't really missed the propointer that much. Summer heat is here though, and that will start being a problem though.

Back
Top Bottom