Minelab EQX 800 over 9” dime- changing GB video

I can't imagine not ground balancing a machine that has it as a feature. Seems to be a pretty basic step on every start up.

I agree and I have only been detecting for 2 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree and I have only been detecting for 2 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bless your heart. Two months and sticking with a GB every outing, on the newest generation machine, where the engineers who made it, states a GB is not reeded.

Are you sure you just started metal detecting 2 mos ago? Which machine do you use?

There might be something to that explanation, but the difference between 40 old coins and 1 due to ground balance on the Nox? I'm not saying it doesn't matter, but that's a dicey conclusion given the possible "user error." You were able to see his technique, so I'm sure you would have helped him with any obvious technique problems. But, you can't put on his brain and ears. Ideally, you'd link two headphones to his machine using the WM08 units and walk with him and listen along. Most of us have likely done the simple, less ideal option and removed the headphones to compare signals. I know I've done this and people have said they wouldn't have reacted to signals I was pointing out.

I cannot 100 percent say that is what it was... but i did set up his machine and turned off my headphones so he could hear. Then i showed him on several targets what i was doing and he could hear what i was hearing. Now whether he put his headphones back on and just did not learn a thing i was showing him? I cannot guarantee he learned anything. But as frustrated as he was in that i was finding lots of old coins i thought he might try to do what i showed him. But you are correct , i was assuming he learned at least to some degree what i was doing and tried to put that to use and find some coins. But until these posts on GB i was stumped , because i honestly did not feel like i was that much better at finding deep masked targets than him. Now had he found even half of what i did i would not put much into the whole GB thing. But i am being totally honest with you he really found one merc dime and that is it. But to be sure i probably need to hit that old spot again and see if i can find a few old coins and try both 0 and then GB myself and compare myself on a live target.

Seems at least one here thinks one can get best performance anywhere really using Nox in USA or the world without doing auto GB.
Check out this link.
You’ll see where I posted YouTube of 9” deep dime video.
Notice what NASA Tom says in his reply- good capture.
He also makes a comment talking about GB and different ground bars wise as dirt is related to say Fisher F75.
This gent btw was part of the Minelab team, yes a tester but even more than this.
https://www.dankowskidetectors.com/discussions/read.php?2,173794k

Yeah go to Birmingham Al and use Nox with zero GB. If you do good luck, you’ll need it.

Got my Nox several months back. Have had machines before, but long enough ago to be considered a newbie. I was GB every outing for a while, but the places hunted never seemed to make a difference, so I let up. That was the central valley Ca. Am in SE Az, and hit a local ballfield while here, GB was required to get anything accomplished. A huge shift, as apposed to basically none at home?

On the same page above that highlighted box, the manual says:

"Using Auto Ground Balance is the recommended Ground Balance
Method."

But, the gist of that statement is: IF you are going to change the ground balance due to ground mineralization noise, then the way to do it is "auto" rather than manual.

Something I've never in the manual until now is the recommendation to ground balance when using lower sensitivity levels. That seemed counter intuitive to me at first. If I had to guess, perhaps multi-frequency's ability to effectively compensate for ground mineralization on its own is decreased at lower sensitivity levels....perhaps (I'm speculating) because different individual frequencies don't dial back relatively evenly.

I'm always GBing--if I can. I think it makes a difference. Most places I hunt are sooooooo trashy there is no place for me to GB without some iron or non ferrous trash screwing it up. I dont want iron or trash affecting the GB. Lowering the sensitivity is a way to minimize the effect of trashy ground on the GB. With lower sensitivity it is easier to find a "clean" spot with no targets to do a proper GB.
But if I just can't GB then I don't worry about it much as the machine will still work. Maybe just not super optimized.

Back
Top Bottom