Equinox 800 Chatter

Shavnore

Elite Member
Anyone else experiencing high amounts of chatter in beach two mode?

I've tried everything:

Checking for black sand under coil cover
Checking coil connection
Leaving phone in car
Turning sensitivity down
EMI cancel
Ground balance
Turning off auto ground balance
Swapping between beach one and beach two
(I don't use a pin pointer on beach)

This only happens on the beach and in certain spots around my front yard.

Going to single freq defeats the purpose of having a salt water multi machine.

Anyone else have a fix for this? Our beaches here on the Gulf Coast of Fl are pretty clean and not much EMI. It's getting frustrating to the point where I have to turn the machine off and go home our bust out the PI machine. Any feedback would be appreciated - thanks!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Haven't had that problem. It would be good to try with another coil. Do you know someone else with an Equinox?

Single frequency is not available in the Beach modes. I have noticed that Beach 2 seems to be very sensitive to EMI, even more than Beach 1 for some reason. Beach 2 is especially for surf. I would stay with Beach 1 even on wet sand if it can handle it until the coil is actually submerged.

Jeff

Haven't had that problem. It would be good to try with another coil. Do you know someone else with an Equinox?
I tried the Nox 600 out here and had the same problem, didn't swap coils yet.

Single frequency is not available in the Beach modes. I have noticed that Beach 2 seems to be very sensitive to EMI, even more than Beach 1 for some reason. Beach 2 is especially for surf. I would stay with Beach 1 even on wet sand if it can handle it until the coil is actually submerged.

Jeff
I might have narrowed it down to my headlamp. Went out today during daylight and not a sound, worked like a charm. Hard to believe a LED lamp on your head could cause that much EMI.

I might have narrowed it down to my headlamp. Went out today during daylight and not a sound, worked like a charm. Hard to believe a LED lamp on your head could cause that much EMI.

I put LED light bulbs in my garage door openers and it screwed with them!

I have a rheostat light switch that drives any detector I have using 14khz or higher absolutely nuts.

Jeff

Is it one of the new bluetooth head lamps for hunting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it one of the new bluetooth head lamps for hunting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just a regular Energizer LED lamp. Sure enough that is the culprit. Went to the beach without it and it was silent as a gecko drinking beer.

Just a regular Energizer LED lamp. Sure enough that is the culprit. Went to the beach without it and it was silent as a gecko drinking beer.

Try it in the daytime with the light... even in the backyard or whereever. I've never heard of a light doing that... interesting

Try it in the daytime with the light... even in the backyard or whereever. I've never heard of a light doing that... interesting
I did in my yard, when it gets close to the control box it goes nuts.

Good to hear you isolated the problem. I use two different LED lights. One is a head-band light, and the other is on a clip that I either attach to a hat. my headphones, my sleeve, or often to the Velcro arm-strap. Neither of them cause me any issues with any detector, including my Minelab Vanquish models. You might need to try a different brand headlight.

In the salt water you have to use multi freq.
Have to use? Not so. I used to use a couple of single frequency detectors when I lived closer to the Oregon coast with very mineralized sand plus the wetted salt water conditions, and I matched or out-performed a few locals with their Multi-Frequency detectors.

I don't swim and the most I waded out hunting the surf was perhaps 6" to 10", but the effects are the same. It's a matter of having an adjustable detector and knowing how to make the necessary adjustments to handle the site environment.

My BBS Sovereigns did better than my FBS Explorer series, but I preferred the better-balanced and Single Frequency models that I used that worked as well or better. And I hunted a more severe salt water area with friends using FBS multi-frequency models and they were amazed my single-frequency worked so well. But, they had put full-faith in marketing ... and sometimes that can be spiced with a dash of hype.

Monte

Have to use? Not so. I used to use a couple of single frequency detectors when I lived closer to the Oregon coast with very mineralized sand plus the wetted salt water conditions, and I matched or out-performed a few locals with their Multi-Frequency detectors.

Monte

hi Monte,
just like the Minelab Vanquish, the Minelab Equinox 600 and 800 in the Beach modes do not have a selectable single frequency option. So, on the beach it is multi frequency only for the Equinox and of course, for the Vanquish.

That is what Donut was referring to.

Jeff

Good to hear you isolated the problem. I use two different LED lights. One is a head-band light, and the other is on a clip that I either attach to a hat. my headphones, my sleeve, or often to the Velcro arm-strap. Neither of them cause me any issues with any detector, including my Minelab Vanquish models. You might need to try a different brand headlight.

I don't swim and the most I waded out hunting the surf was perhaps 6" to 10", but the effects are the same. It's a matter of having an adjustable detector and knowing how to make the necessary adjustments to handle the site environment.

My BBS Sovereigns did better than my FBS Explorer series, but I preferred the better-balanced and Single Frequency models that I used that worked as well or better. And I hunted a more severe salt water area with friends using FBS multi-frequency models and they were amazed my single-frequency worked so well. But, they had put full-faith in marketing ... and sometimes that can be spiced with a dash of hype.

Monte
The saltwater here in the gulf coast would cause the detector to go nuts if you took it out of beach mode.

When I HAD my Nox , I also ran into the same problem a few times in the wet. The 1 thing you didn't try that's not on your list is a factory reset. When I did this , it worked every time. But IMHO you shouldn't have to do that with this detector - another reason for my sale.

Back
Top Bottom