Hot, dry and slow around here - trying something new.

CallMeGrey

Forum Supporter
We're in the middle of a drought here in south central Wis. Can't dig without leaving a dead plug. :( It's also hot and the ground is hard. So I've only had one chance this month to do any detecting (after our only rain of the month).

Since I'm fairly new at this and still have a LOT to learn, I've been watching MD videos and taking notes. So I thought I'd set myself a challenge. My backyard is pretty small (about 25 X 35) and I don't really care about dead plugs. I spent about 6-7 hours detecting it in the spring when I was first learning and found 12 lincoln pennies and 1 clad dime. Figured I had it pretty well covered. There is lots of iron and trash in the ground also. But, as they say, "you never find it all".

So I set a challenge - find one possible target each day and dig it. So far I'm 5 days into the challenge and have found 4 coins - 2 toasted zincolns and 2 clad dimes. They've all been fairly deep and there were nails in every hole.

Today's find - a '75 clad dime with a nail, a bolt, and a foil top in the hole also. The dime was 10-11 inches deep also. So much work for so little. But I keep telling myself that I'm improving my skill and someday, somewhere, I'll come across the right area where it will pay off.

Attachments

• BkYd7_28.jpg
    BkYd7_28.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 206
Neat !!!!

Yep, when I first started I practiced in my own yard, and have hunted it numerous times since then, many times I have hunted it when I really needed to "scratch the itch" to detect but hadn't had time to make it worthwhile loading up the equipment to run somewhere, and even though I knew I likely might not find much, I still enjoyed the challenge of trying to find something in my already much hunted yard, maybe not as much fun as hunting in an area with more potential, but still more fun than not hunting at all :lol:

Way to stick with it Grey. And no matter what, mding is a learning experience everytime we go out. You might try some wood spots, digging may be a bit easier and plugs don't matter, just fill in your holes and kick some loose topping over them. Friday I hunted a grassy strip on a woods line, on a slope in the shade and I still had to chop with my shovel to make a plug. So yeah can't wait for some rain and cooler weather. Good luck, Mark

Back
Top Bottom