This will probably be the find of my lifetime

What an outstanding and nearly impossible find! Congratulations Blue! I have question…what machine were you using and what did it ring up as? What numbers?

What an outstanding and nearly impossible find! Congratulations Blue! I have question…what machine were you using and what did it ring up as? What numbers?

Thanks! I was using the Equinox 800 with the 10x5 Coiltek. It rang a solid 5 at 8" but I think it was because it was rolled. I did an air test now that it's sort of flattened and it's ringing 9.

Thanks! I was using the Equinox 800 with the 10x5 Coiltek. It rang a solid 5 at 8" but I think it was because it was rolled. I did an air test now that it's sort of flattened and it's ringing 9.

That makes a lot of sense, my understanding was that small gold coins come in quite low. Since almost all coin hunters never meander below “nickel”, yours was still waiting to be found!
Rolled, flattened, holed…..and STILL a once in a lifetime find!:yes:

Another difficult decision you will need to make now is : Do you charge to autograph other people's metal detectors ? Or do you give autographs for free ?

I used to autograph other people's detectors for free. But it became so burdensome and pesky, that I began to charge $10 each for autographs.

Perhaps you can do a compromise and only charge $5 each ? Decisions decisions :research:

That makes a lot of sense, my understanding was that small gold coins come in quite low. Since almost all coin hunters never meander below “nickel”, yours was still waiting to be found!
Rolled, flattened, holed…..and STILL a once in a lifetime find!:yes:

I'd never wandered that low (a 5 signal at 8") me being a basic C&J hunter, unless I was asked to look at foil numbers and below. For me to have found that, it woulda needed to have been residing close to another higher Vdi and a secondary, accidental find. Of course, digging at the beach means digging all low conductors.

Outstanding find, I would also call it the logical "Find of my lifetime too." Good job!

Super score!! When I saw "find of my lifetime" posted by Blue Hunts Coins, I knew it had to be especially really good. I was not disappointed.
The hole, the "altered" reverse, and the fact that it was rolled up and lost tell us that this very old coin had a few stories to never tell. Very rich in character!
Now it has a new story; about how you came along and dug it up from 8 inches down, and got it's picture posted on the World Wide Web...

Absolutely incredible find! Huge congratulations to you and it’s going to be tough to top that but that’s what gets you coming back for more. Awesome job

That's certainly a great find, well done.:bling:
I've only ever found one gold coin, and that was a small one.
Over here in the UK, it's said that sometimes a farmer would throw a gold
coin in the field for good luck, how true that is I don't know.

Strangely enough, over here once a coin has a hole in it, it ceases to
be a coin, and becomes an artefact.

Congrats on a real winner. I’ve learned that you must carefully check out all finds carefully because sometimes that junk find is not junk. I found a rusty chunk of iron but a second look revealed a rusted pistol. A folded up piece of aluminum foil was really silver foil and it was a commemorative for President Harding. A small sliver of copper was actually a Spanish copper maraverdis coin (1598-1621, my oldest coin). And what appeared to be a dried mud coated can lid was my greatest find ever. An antique silver Scottish medallion that referees to William Wallace, Robert the Bruce and MY OWN FAMILY.

Back
Top Bottom