My first dig (so far)

MAD Mitch

Taking a break from digging at the moment. So far just junk—some weird metal pieces, an eyepiece from binoculars, a non-brass padlock. I had a screaming 98 but when dug it it was an edge of a long (maybe two foot) piece of metal. I just left it there. I haven’t even found a lousy Zincoln yet. Maybe some kind soul can send me a jar full of silver dollars so I’ll know what it looks and sounds like on the Simplex😁

Btw I decided running in park 1 with 0-15 notched.

Gonna do one more dig and then make lunch. I’ll keep y’all informed of my progress.

Last edited:
It’s too wide for a sword. I’m detecting right over where the old house stood. It’s in a very rooty spot being next to a Camilla. Maybe I’ll fight it up later.

Attachments

• 137BE99F-06A4-4EFC-B93F-0C77A9C34A5D.jpeg
    137BE99F-06A4-4EFC-B93F-0C77A9C34A5D.jpeg
    73.7 KB · Views: 247
Take a few coins out of your piggy bank and plant them in your yard at different depths, this will give you an idea of what to listen for. Go over them with different settings, sweep speeds, and try to memorize those tones. The more you hear them, the better chance you can identify them in the wild. Most importantly, have fun! This is supposed to be a hobby, some get so bent out of shape in regards to not finding anything of value. I remember when I first started, took me a good year to understand that old coins arent always where they should be, and they arent always where you would expect them to be either. Good luck, and if you have any questions, this forum has plenty of answers!

Thanks for the advice. I’m not really mad about it. This is my learning period to figure out what the squeaks and squawks and VDI numbers means. 🙂

So ends my first hunt. I was getting tired but I kept hearing this voice “just one more dig, it could be the mother lode”. I guess everyone here has heard that little voice 😁

Finds were various iron pieces and nails, a padlock, a couple of ceramic tiles probably from the old house, a copper ring, an eyepiece from binoculars, clad spoon, 6 porcelain jar lid seals (1 broken) and two Zincolns.

Interesting about the seals is that I found 1 and the broken one in one hole and about five feet over I found 4 more in a single hole. My first spill😁. There were some more signals near the hole so I dug it up and it was a couple of nails. But near those nails were the ceramic tiles.

All in all I enjoyed myself. I like the porcelain seals. I don’t know how old they are but I like them. I’m looking into electrolysis so I may do the padlock for the hell of it.

Attachments

• B964737B-F15D-4BFF-8347-FC224796C0D1.jpeg
    B964737B-F15D-4BFF-8347-FC224796C0D1.jpeg
    117 KB · Views: 226
You have a bright future with your Simplex+!

My first silver coin was a quarter. Rang up a solid 90 from all sides. A very pure tone , you will hear it soon.

You have a bright future with your Simplex+!

My first silver coin was a quarter. Rang up a solid 90 from all sides. A very pure tone , you will hear it soon.

Thanks, I hope so 👍

Your post got me wondering what the Simplex’s VDI number would be for silver dollars. The chart I found online didn’t include them. I have a silver dollar my great-grandfather left to me so I decided to dig it out and test it. It rang up as a 95, the same as silver half dollars and the 4 and 8 Reals.

I haven’t seen this coin in years and all this time I thought it was a Peace dollar. Someone had told my father that it was. I just discovered using the Red Book I just purchased that it’s actually a Morgan dollar.

Attachments

• 177C97A2-66BD-45B3-B421-7C4E38CFEF13.jpeg
    177C97A2-66BD-45B3-B421-7C4E38CFEF13.jpeg
    162.5 KB · Views: 201
Possibly a sword? I'd dig it out just to get it out of the way.

Cliff

I thought exactly those two things.
1. Sword
2. Dig it out so it is never a problem.
I will never forget digging a 8 foot t post out of my own yard.
That would have been a mower killer.

Back
Top Bottom