• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

No coins today, so how about a Sailfish?

RainorShine

Forum Supporter
Decided to go out for just a couple of hours today to a nearby older downtown area. Only hunting curbstrips for this trip. Dug 4 or 5 wheats, all from the '40s and '50s, and a load of junk. The only thing that really made the trip worthwhile was this sterling swordfish. Rang up as a 26 on the Nox 600. Surprised the heck out of me when it came out of the ground, and was really questioning what metal it was made of. The only reassuring thing was that it came out of the ground shiny! Got it home, washed it off and dug out the dirt. Shazzam - it is hallmarked sterling. Nice surprise for the day.
Thanks for looking and HH.

Attachments

• 20210921_162507.jpg
    20210921_162507.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 330
  • 20210921_161815.jpg
    20210921_161815.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 333
Last edited:
.... It does look a little odd for sterling though.

I thought the same thing, that the silver had a sort of stainless steel silvery look. But I think it's just the camera and lighting (glare) . Notice the color of the other stuff is especially brilliant too, in the pix.

I thought the same thing, that the silver had a sort of stainless steel silvery look. But I think it's just the camera and lighting (glare) . Notice the color of the other stuff is especially brilliant too, in the pix.

Yeah, I took the picture under direct sunlight which affected the appearance. In natural light it looks just like good old regular silver. Probably should have put on a black background and controlled the lighting a little better. Just wanted to get it posted before all the east coast guys went to bed.

This reminds me of a fella I once met in Florida. He went out marlin fishing and caught a good one – but the fish poked his eye out while he was trying to wrangle him into the boat. After that he'd wear a silver marlin pendant, which he worked into his story of how he lost his eye. Well, one day this fella was playing a friendly game of basketball when his pendant flipped up to stab him right in his remaining good eye. Went to the hospital, where the doctor only barely managed to save his eye. He avoids marlins altogether these days.

Decided to go out for just a couple of hours today to a nearby older downtown area. Only hunting curbstrips for this trip. Dug 4 or 5 wheats, all from the '40s and '50s, and a load of junk. The only thing that really made the trip worthwhile was this sterling swordfish. Rang up as a 26 on the Nox 600. Surprised the heck out of me when it came out of the ground, and was really questioning what metal it was made of. The only reassuring thing was that it came out of the ground shiny! Got it home, washed it off and dug out the dirt. Shazzam - it is hallmarked sterling. Nice surprise for the day.
Thanks for looking and HH.

I love it Gale! Your track record on silver as of late is IMPRESSIVE :shock:. Looking forward to our next adventure.

This reminds me of a fella I once met in Florida. He went out marlin fishing and caught a good one – but the fish poked his eye out while he was trying to wrangle him into the boat. After that he'd wear a silver marlin pendant, which he worked into his story of how he lost his eye. Well, one day this fella was playing a friendly game of basketball when his pendant flipped up to stab him right in his remaining good eye. Went to the hospital, where the doctor only barely managed to save his eye. He avoids marlins altogether these days.

Interesting story. I think he'd be wise to avoid any future contact with marlins, or any other long pointy objects.

Nice swordfish! Unfortunately I'm only finding jellyfish lately. :laughing:

Thanks Kev. Still, it's nice to be able to get out in some beautiful weather, knowing what's coming for the fall and winter.

I love it Gale! Your track record on silver as of late is IMPRESSIVE :shock:. Looking forward to our next adventure.

Thanks Paul. We've both done fairly well. I regret not being able to get out with you tomorrow. Hope you hit it big!

Back
Top Bottom