Using e-Bike to quickly get to good spots on beach

Bike is cool. His coil swing is not.šŸ¤£. Gotta be careful though. Slowly , some beaches are outlawing ebikes.

Funny you should bring this topic up maxxkatt...here's my new baby I just got last week! His name is "Beast". I am still learning and outfitting it, but eventually I will be using it to access a couple of beaches I don't normally go to. Completely paid for by my proceeds from detecting - the sunglasses, iPhones, Apple watches, junk rings, and designer silver. (No gold was harmed in the purchase of this baby! :lol: )

Attachments

• 20210906_193729.jpg
    20210906_193729.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 405
Funny you should bring this topic up maxxkatt...here's my new baby I just got last week! His name is "Beast". I am still learning and outfitting it, but eventually I will be using it to access a couple of beaches I don't normally go to. Completely paid for by my proceeds from detecting - the sunglasses, iPhones, Apple watches, junk rings, and designer silver. (No gold was harmed in the purchase of this baby! :lol: )
Very cool Felix. Are you going to outfit with 1 of those surf racks I posted on another thread to carry your detector and scoop ?

The guy in the vid is detecting my area. I started using ebikes before most around here knew what one was. My friend went way advanced and built a bike way more complicated than mine. Still have five ebikes. Don't want to post what kind since i try to fly under the radar:lol:

..... some beaches are outlawing ebikes.

Tell me you're joking ? Why ? (oh why oh why oh why) Why would any beach "outlaw" bikes of ANY sort ? I see bikes frequently on the hard-set-sand of the beach. What harm is it doing ?

Let me guess, because the tire tread marks can hurt sand-crabs ? Or because the bike riders might crash into a pedestrian ? I don't get it.

Tell me you're joking ? Why ? (oh why oh why oh why) Why would any beach "outlaw" bikes of ANY sort ? I see bikes frequently on the hard-set-sand of the beach. What harm is it doing ?

Let me guess, because the tire tread marks can hurt sand-crabs ? Or because the bike riders might crash into a pedestrian ? I don't get it.

It's not the bikes that's the problem, it's the riders raising hell. Senior Citizens and E - Bikes are the new hells angels of 2021. Ripping up the streets ,going 35 in a School zone, flipping off the crossing guards, no helmets, they're just out of control.

If i piled up all my treasure i might scrape enough to buy a used unicycle on craigslist.

Congrats on the new bike!

Not fun going fast on a beach on an ebike anyways. Opened up one of mine to 30 mph on a stretch with nobody on it. One time it kicked up a big shell and cut my leg. Another time after a near miss from a hurricane i hit some type of a steel band. They do have ebikes that go real fast. Keep in mind if it does not have pedals it is NOT an ebike. It is an emotorcycle. Guy where i live has one that goes 70 mph. You want to die go 70 mph on a bicycle!

Yeah , some of these guys are just Donkeys on them. When the beach is packed , then it's a big problem. Guys think they are badass zipping at 30mph 3' next to you. Have seen a few cited here. When it's not crowded , usually no issue. But if I see one coming my way from afar , I start twirling my scoop like Tommy Lee on a drum solo , hoping I connect. They always stay clear. Overall , not many actually on the beach. Bike path: it's a zoo.

Found it!

Very cool Felix. Are you going to outfit with 1 of those surf racks I posted on another thread to carry your detector and scoop ?
OK now I need to see that! I don't remember if I saw it or not. If you could post the link I'd like to examine it. I was going to just use the nox and break it down and get a new scoop for a CF travel handle that I bought from Steve.

UPDATE: Found KOB's post! That thing is huge though.

Attachments

• 20210807_144114.jpg
    20210807_144114.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 363
Yeah , some of these guys are just Donkeys on them. When the beach is packed , then it's a big problem. Guys think they are badass zipping at 30mph 3' next to you. Have seen a few cited here. When it's not crowded , usually no issue. But if I see one coming my way from afar , I start twirling my scoop like Tommy Lee on a drum solo , hoping I connect. They always stay clear. Overall , not many actually on the beach. Bike path: it's a zoo.
In Cali they have one called a Sur Ron. You can get a pedal kit for it from Luna cycles. Has two modes. In off road mode it does 45 MPH. The pedal kit is to pass it off as an ebike. Don't see nutty people riding bikes or ebikes on the beaches i go to.

OK now I need to see that! I don't remember if I saw it or not. If you could post the link I'd like to examine it. I was going to just use the nox and break it down and get a new scoop for a CF travel handle that I bought from Steve.

Felix, private message Digsalot. You may have to friend him? He has a unique set up.

Then you must have seen the other one that just installs under the seat , also with 2 hooks. A bit smaller and outta the way. I would put the detector and scoop in a long duffel and strap it in.

You probably don't remember commenting on this.:lol: His ebike is different now. But i think he still uses the same set up for detectors? Had some weird detector i never heard of last time i saw him:lol: http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=258459

I am cheap I guess. I have a couple spots I have to walk a mile too and a mile back. Thinking of a regular bike.. won't be a loss if someone tries to steal it or borrow it. Figure I can get a Junker for about 40 dollars. Just missed one the other day..

How many use a regular bike?

when I used to ride my motorcycle it wasn't uncommon to be passed by an ebike. They can easily be rigged to go 50mph and if I remember correctly even stock units will go 40mph.
Basically the same as moped.

In Cali they have one called a Sur Ron. You can get a pedal kit for it from Luna cycles. Has two modes. In off road mode it does 45 MPH. The pedal kit is to pass it off as an ebike. Don't see nutty people riding bikes or ebikes on the beaches i go to.

my first ebike in 2006 had the pedal kit. But the pedals actually worked. If the battery was low or the hill a little steep or even if I wanted to save some battery by pedaling I could.

The pedal was specially rigged to something else too but I don't want it to get "BlackJacked".

You probably don't remember commenting on this.:lol: His ebike is different now. But i think he still uses the same set up for detectors? Had some weird detector i never heard of last time i saw him:lol: http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=258459
Thanks Larry - and I saw my comment and the possibility of it being stolen down here still applies. :roll: Got a good lock and I'm going to be looking into one those tracking gizmos. Digsalot's bike looks awesome but I don't like that carrying setup and how much everything sticks up. (That bike has some SERIOUS range with 50AH of battery! :wow:) I think I'll just keep it simple like KOB suggested. :yes: In April of last year, when I tried to circumvent all the Covid closures and was kicked off the beach by the police, I got my regular bike and strapped all the equipment and it was fine. Going to have a test and just try strapping everything on "Beast" and see how it works out. I have a front basket on back order which may help. Let's see once I rig it out. In addition, I am planning on using my new e-bike for some occasional commuting to work since my school is only about 2 miles away and for some jaunts to the grocery store for when I just need a few items.

Attachments

• Bike.jpg
    Bike.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 311
Back
Top Bottom