Why I Haven't Been CRHing (Long Overdue Post)

Wolf-Dog

Elite Member
I just thought I would post this to update you all, and answer the question some may be wondering about why you haven't seen any new CRH threads from me in over a year.

My last year of CRHing was 2019, and it was a great year. I found some pretty epic coins, especially towards the end of the year (you can check them out in this thread if you like: My 2019 CRH Wrap-up). Unfortunately, at the end of December '19 I was informed that they were going to start charging a fee of $5/box. :no: So I stopped ordering coins from that credit union, and began my search for a new credit union to get rolls from. By the time I found a new CU, it was right after they had gone drive-thru only. Now that they've reopened, I just need to open an account with them. So, hopefully in the somewhat near future I shall be posting CRHs again. :cool3:

I just thought I would post this to update you all, and answer the question some may be wondering about why you haven't seen any new CRH threads from me in over a year.

My last year of CRHing was 2019, and it was a great year. I found some pretty epic coins, especially towards the end of the year (you can check them out in this thread if you like: My 2019 CRH Wrap-up). Unfortunately, at the end of December '19 I was informed that they were going to start charging a fee of $5/box. :no: So I stopped ordering coins from that credit union, and began my search for a new credit union to get rolls from. By the time I found a new CU, it was right after they had gone drive-thru only. Now that they've reopened, I just need to open an account with them. So, hopefully in the somewhat near future I shall be posting CRHs again. :cool3:

Fee's SUCK! My tellers are so cool and somehow shoo them off. Can't wait to see more CRH hunting posts!

Josh

Fee's SUCK! My tellers are so cool and somehow shoo them off. Can't wait to see more CRH hunting posts!

Josh
I have never once had to pay a fee, either, and I plan to keep it that way. :D Between the two years that I was getting rolls from that CU, I searched through $14,609, which is over 88 boxes. So to continue not paying fees, I am switching credit unions. :D If I were to pay the $5/box fee, I would be looking at spending $500-$750/year for the 2 or 3 boxes a week like I was doing. :shock: Thanks, Josh. I am looking forward to posting about my hunts again; I just need to get an account with them now... :D

KT has never paid a fee, either for a box or for dumping and has dealt with banks from the first day back in 2012. CRHing is a fun hobby, but would never pay to do with any kind of fees, so KT is with you, Wolf-dog! His Majesty missed out on 51 weekly hunts before getting started again. But it has been 6-7 weeks of hunts and KT is on His Royal Way again this year! Have noticed the lack of current CRH posters, but am hoping to see others getting started back into it again! There is plenty of room for more CRH hobbyists to get into it. KT enjoys seeing what others are finding too!

I have never once had to pay a fee, either, and I plan to keep it that way. :D Between the two years that I was getting rolls from that CU, I searched through $14,609, which is over 88 boxes. So to continue not paying fees, I am switching credit unions. :D If I were to pay the $5/box fee, I would be looking at spending $500-$750/year for the 2 or 3 boxes a week like I was doing. :shock: Thanks, Josh. I am looking forward to posting about my hunts again; I just need to get an account with them now... :D

Hey, I'm studying for my math test this week! Stop it with the math! :lol: I go to my local chase and BOA. These guys are so cool. And better off, the one working at Chase, the person that orders those coins (pretty sure it's called manager) stepped down cuz he's retiring. Guess who got the empty slot. Oh yeah, we were celebrating like crazy on the phone ;):lol:.

That might be why he's getting his hands on all these coins that I swear I haven't seen before...

Josh

KT has never paid a fee, either for a box or for dumping and has dealt with banks from the first day back in 2012. CRHing is a fun hobby, but would never pay to do with any kind of fees, so KT is with you, Wolf-dog! His Majesty missed out on 51 weekly hunts before getting started again. But it has been 6-7 weeks of hunts and KT is on His Royal Way again this year! Have noticed the lack of current CRH posters, but am hoping to see others getting started back into it again! There is plenty of room for more CRH hobbyists to get into it. KT enjoys seeing what others are finding too!
I totally agree. That's one of the best parts about CRHing; it's free to do, and only costs you as much as you want to spend! :D

My last boxes were 3 boxes of dimes I did the first week of January 2020, and haven't done one since. :( Hopefully I will be able to get started again soon... :cool3:

Hey, I'm studying for my math test this week! Stop it with the math! :lol: I go to my local chase and BOA. These guys are so cool. And better off, the one working at Chase, the person that orders those coins (pretty sure it's called manager) stepped down cuz he's retiring. Guess who got the empty slot. Oh yeah, we were celebrating like crazy on the phone ;):lol:.

That might be why he's getting his hands on all these coins that I swear I haven't seen before...

Josh
Lol. Fine, be that way! :lol: That's great! Hopefully you find many silver coins & other keepers, and they don't start charging you fees, either. :cool3:

You were on a roll when we left off roll hunting, Garrett! It will be good to resume CRHing together; we will both enjoy it. :grin:

I haven't done it in couple of years, my finds became very scarce.

I've found that a number of banks don't accept rolled coins anymore, you have to use their coin machine. The coin machines and coin stars tend to reject the good stuff so it never makes it to the new rolls. I've had better luck with silver in the Coin Star reject try vs roll hunting.

Regions bank takes your change in a bag and sends it to a federal bank for counting. You get a deposit in your account 7-10 days later.

I think the days of Kitchen Coin Shooting will soon be behind us.

When I quit, I was still pulling a silver dime per $130. I found over 1,000. Halves were sporadic. My CU closed their lobby to customers over a year ago. I sold a car and when I went to deposit the cash, the teller came out to my car. My other CU has been open for months. :?:

I've found that a number of banks don't accept rolled coins anymore, you have to use their coin machine. The coin machines and coin stars tend to reject the good stuff so it never makes it to the new rolls. I've had better luck with silver in the Coin Star reject try vs roll hunting.

Regions bank takes your change in a bag and sends it to a federal bank for counting. You get a deposit in your account 7-10 days later.

You have an incorrect statement given above. You are correct that Coinstar machines do not accept silver, but bank machines are not Coinstar machines and do accept silver. How do you think all the silvers KT has recovered came to be in Loomis rolls? By folks dumping coins at their local banks! Sorry, but I cannot accept your statement that the days of coin shooting will soon be behind us. KT is in the middle of his efforts and until He gets too old and feeble to do it, will continue on, getting whatever silver He can recover.

Coinstar is the only counting machine that I know of that rejects silver. I love buying the half dollar bags off the machine at my CU, for the silver and also the bag has other goodies and is usually over count by at least $20 in the form of quarters, dimes and pennies. I also choose an institution that will give my cash back immediately. I used to dump dimes and halves in $500 bags and get my cash on the spot. They never counted the coin (neither did I :lol:), I never once had any issues. They even sometimes let me enter the vault!

Coinstar is the only counting machine that I know of that rejects silver. I love buying the half dollar bags off the machine at my CU, for the silver and also the bag has other goodies and is usually over count by at least $20 in the form of quarters, dimes and pennies. I also choose an institution that will give my cash back immediately. I used to dump dimes and halves in $500 bags and get my cash on the spot. They never counted the coin (neither did I :lol:), I never once had any issues. They even sometimes let me enter the vault!

:cool12::dancing::dancing::clap::clap::clap:

Wait, if coinstar rejects silver, then... ARE YOU THINKING WHAT I'M THINKING?

Automatic coin roll hunting machine? :lol:

Josh

You were on a roll when we left off roll hunting, Garrett! It will be good to resume CRHing together; we will both enjoy it. :grin:
Yeppers! :D

When I quit, I was still pulling a silver dime per $130. I found over 1,000. Halves were sporadic. My CU closed their lobby to customers over a year ago. I sold a car and when I went to deposit the cash, the teller came out to my car. My other CU has been open for months. :?:
You have an incorrect statement given above. You are correct that Coinstar machines do not accept silver, but bank machines are not Coinstar machines and do accept silver. How do you think all the silvers KT has recovered came to be in Loomis rolls? By folks dumping coins at their local banks! Sorry, but I cannot accept your statement that the days of coin shooting will soon be behind us. KT is in the middle of his efforts and until He gets too old and feeble to do it, will continue on, getting whatever silver He can recover.

I agree with KT & Amc on this one. Some banks also take customer wrapped rolls, and those can be loaded with good stuff sometimes. Silver coins are still being circulated, though not as frequently, but they're still out there waiting to be found nonetheless. :cool3:

Wait, if coinstar rejects silver, then... ARE YOU THINKING WHAT I'M THINKING?

Automatic coin roll hunting machine? :lol:

Josh
Hey that’s a good idea if it weren’t for the 12% fee for Coinstar! :cool3:
You could do it on the gift card, I guess... but who needs 2.5k in a gift card? :lol:

Josh
:lol::bouncy::lol:

Back
Top Bottom