Woot got a job finally.

Cherry Picker

Forum Supporter
Well I finally got a job. I know we've been hearing how nobody wants to work and jobs are falling from trees, but not if you're 65 believe me. Been look all year and filled out more applications than I can remember, but I finally got one.

Before I went to work at the hospital I worked in auto parts. Been a car guy most of my life. Got a job at NAPA and start this morning. Part-time because I'm still semi-retired, but my social security just didn't fill my wants due to my early retirement.

Soon I can get back to a NOX 800 or Deus and finish retiring.

Well I finally got a job. I know we've been hearing how nobody wants to work and jobs are falling from trees, but not if you're 65 believe me. Been look all year and filled out more applications than I can remember, but I finally got one.

Before I went to work at the hospital I worked in auto parts. Been a car guy most of my life. Got a job at NAPA and start this morning. Part-time because I'm still semi-retired, but my social security just didn't fill my wants due to my early retirement.

Congrats! I think this is a problem many face especially those who have worked 30-40 years and the uncertainty of whether their nest egg can outlast their longevity. We’re simply living longer than prior generations. I personally will face the ability to retire next year after 30 years with the same company. I will be 49 and don’t see myself frittering away what should be my highest earning years. I want to do something just maybe different… anyway glad you found a new adventure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KT is happy for you! People who want to work should not be age discriminated against! You have what KT calls work ethic, something sorely lacking in a lot of the younger generation.

The Queen and KT always lived pretty conservatively, saving as much as we could for our retirement years. Fortunately, also, the state government retirement plan is better and more stable than most company plans. KT retired when He was 64 1/2 and had to pay both sides of the health insurance until His Majesty turned 65. Change over to Medicare with KT's state health insurance becoming secondary provider dropped those rates significantly and when Social Security kicked in, that brought our income level back up to when He was working. Not too many people are so lucky and need at least part time work to supplement what they have coming in.
For years we were a two income family and lived on the Queen's smaller income and saved the Kings renumeration. It meant a few less trips, and staying with relatives on some of them, less eating out, and not buying new vehicles, but it has all worked out well for us now. It also helped that we never took a mortgage on the Castle, but built it ourselves! HA HA There was not much time to get out and party with that project!

Congrats! I think this is a problem many face especially those who have worked 30-40 years and the uncertainty of whether their nest egg can outlast their longevity. We’re simply living longer than prior generations. I personally will face the ability to retire next year after 30 years with the same company. I will be 49 and don’t see myself frittering away what should be my highest earning years. I want to do something just maybe different… anyway glad you found a new adventure!

Mine was mostly bad timing and not having a safety net.

I worked 54 years and spent the last 5 making ready to retire at 65. I had over 100k in my 401k and had the stock market not crashed two days after I called Wells Fargo to cashout my 401k to retire a year early. I had a few bills I need to pay off in that last year of work A new car, so I never had to worry about a reliable car, and a small loan on my house to pay off all CC and anything else so I'd have no debt come August 2020. I lost 70k when I cashed out from the market crash and what the government took for tax.

Now I just got to pay off my car and house loan, but my retirement toys back again, and I'm back to fulltime retirement.

Mine was mostly bad timing and not having a safety net.

I worked 54 years and spent the last 5 making ready to retire at 65. I had over 100k in my 401k and had the stock market not crashed two days after I called Wells Fargo to cashout my 401k to retire a year early. I had a few bills I need to pay off in that last year of work A new car, so I never had to worry about a reliable car, and a small loan on my house to pay off all CC and anything else so I'd have no debt come August 2020. I lost 70k when I cashed out from the market crash and what the government took for tax.

Now I just got to pay off my car and house loan, but my retirement toys back again, and I'm back to fulltime retirement.

You have a great plan! Best of luck with it!:D:D

Congrats on the new job. Sad that at age 65 it is hard to land one.

I retired 9 years ago at age 62. Still freelance a little during the school year photographing high school sports for the local paper. Nice to get out of the house and put a little change in the pocket.

Retired at 58 last year due to current events, from a job I was at for 25 years. Worked full time 40 years straight. Don’t care to work again, but that could always change. Congrats on your finding employment.

I am 53 and want to retire at 55, which is about 16 months from now. I have a pension and a 401k. We live modestly, but I am concerned about health insurance costs. That will by far be our biggest expense annually.

Congrats on finding a job, and I hope it is one you will enjoy!

I am 53 and want to retire at 55, which is about 16 months from now. I have a pension and a 401k. We live modestly, but I am concerned about health insurance costs. That will by far be our biggest expense annually.

Congrats on finding a job, and I hope it is one you will enjoy!

Going on Medicare was no fun for me. I retired at 64 and kept my work insurance. I sure wish I could have stayed with it. I was paying $152 a month for BCBS Silver 2. Covered my ER, Doctor & drugs. Now I pay $148 a month for Part B (Doctor) and $141 a month for Plan G to cover Co-Pays and such, and $16 a month for Part D for my RX drugs. I always thought Medicare was a good thing.

The pension would be a good thing for me to have had. The COVID killed my 401k and so now it is Social Security only. $1,613 a month. That is why I got a part time job. My SS covers everything but my car & a small home loan. My job will take care of that and give me some extra to get me a NOX 800 again.

Going on Medicare was no fun for me. I retired at 64 and kept my work insurance. I sure wish I could have stayed with it. I was paying $152 a month for BCBS Silver 2. Covered my ER, Doctor & drugs. Now I pay $148 a month for Part B (Doctor) and $141 a month for Plan G to cover Co-Pays and such, and $16 a month for Part D for my RX drugs. I always thought Medicare was a good thing.

The pension would be a good thing for me to have had. The COVID killed my 401k and so now it is Social Security only. $1,613 a month. That is why I got a part time job. My SS covers everything but my car & a small home loan. My job will take care of that and give me some extra to get me a NOX 800 again.

I had a financial advisor look at everything we had, and he said I should work a few more years, at least until 57. I asked him how long he had my life expectancy calculated, and he had me going until my mid-80's. I laughed and laughed :laughing:.

Sorry for your misfortune! Was your 401k investment in individual stocks? The last several years have been great for me but I am in index funds. My dad experienced the same issues with Medicare costs.

Sorry for your misfortune! Was your 401k investment in individual stocks? The last several years have been great for me but I am in index funds. My dad experienced the same issues with Medicare costs.

It was partly in individual stocks and the rest in company stock. I also had some HCA stock that was given to me when we were still a HCA facility. My misfortune was from the timing of the COVID crash on the stock market. My stock today would be very nice at 34,000+. I called to cash out my stock the DOW was at 29k, BOOM 2 days later COVID scare hit. Between it and what the government took in taxes, I lost 70k of my over 100k that was going to pay off all my debt and then open a ROTH IRA.

If you look at the graph you can see my bad timing. I cashed out the end of February, and it took them 2 weeks to process my cash out.

Attachments

• DOW.jpg
    DOW.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 137
Congrats on the job and even one you should like having to do with cars ! :thumbsup:

(technically age discrimination is against the law, but obviously if a company chooses not to hire someone due to their age they very likely are not going to admit that was the reason :lol:)

Glad you found a job. Hope they treat you well. Your back / hip (?) all healed up I hope too.

I’m 49 and can’t even imagine returning, my 401k I figure will be part of my “health insurance” to my wife/kids :( along with what my work will pay out.

Not much, but hopefully by that time I can get things in a better place, if not at least it’s something.

I like the Napa stores.

Back
Top Bottom