• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Wasps-Ouch

Tinhorn3

I was detecting my Simplex about 10' from a building when Red Wasps got me all around me, about a dozen. It only got my ear but - Ouch -
Apparently their nest was on the building near the roof

Hot Shot Spray fixed the nest [ after dark, when they are all home ]

Red Wasps are mean for sure but...

I wonder if the detector sound on a target got them mad??? that's when they got me

That is puzzling as you would think that you were not close enough to appear as a threat to their nest :?: Hope your ear is doing okay !

It would be interesting to know if the detector sound got their attention.

Normally you would think ground wasps would be something a detectorist would need to watch out for.

That is puzzling as you would think that you were not close enough to appear as a threat to their nest :?: Hope your ear is doing okay !

It would be interesting to know if the detector sound got their attention.

Normally you would think ground wasps would be something a detectorist would need to watch out for.

ground wasps generally do not sting and are not aggressive

ground wasps generally do not sting and are not aggressive

You've never had a run in with a yellow jacket?

Yellow jackets, bald-faced hornets and paper wasps construct their nests in the ground, in trees, under eves and inside wall voids and attics.

Yellow jackets, bald-faced hornets and paper wasps construct their nests in the ground, in trees, under eves and inside wall voids and attics.

A lot of people refer to CICADA KILLER's as ground wasps. The males can't sting, the females rarely do.

When I did a google search for " do ground wasp bite"

I get......

Ground wasps can be beneficial or potentially harmful depending on their species. While most types of solitary ground wasps help people by eating pest insects. They generally do not sting and are not aggressive.

Never had a run in, I stay my distance :) I also have a bee suit, and a 15' pole to pump delta dust into their nests.

A lot of people refer to CICADA KILLER's as ground wasps. The males can't sting, the females rarely do.

I get......

Ground wasps can be beneficial or potentially harmful depending on their species. While most types of solitary ground wasps help people by eating pest insects. They generally do not sting and are not aggressive.

Never had a run in, I stay my distance :) I also have a bee suit, and a 15' pole to pump delta dust into their nests.

Google can only get you so far, the rest you have to actually experience it.:D

And yellow jackets ARE aggressice!

"The yellowjacket is one of the most menacing insects known to man. These brightly colored wasps possess a fiery sting and bite seemingly out of proportion to their size."

Source: https://www.rescue.com/latest-buzz/outdoor-pests/what-makes-yellowjackets-so-dangerous/

Just to clarify,yellow jackets are not what,s referred to here as ground wasps,even though they nest in the ground. What,s usually referred to as a ground wasp looks similar to a dirt dauber wasp and live one to a hole.Not aggressive and rarely sting.Yellow jackets on the other hand are aggressive and do sting!

I get......

Do you ever go outside or hide in your bubble and read what people write on the internet.
You are in conversations with people on here that go detecting ...so that means they are outside a lot ...not just sitting around reading things on the computer.

Get a life and stop being a TROLL.

Google can only get you so far, the rest you have to actually experience it.:D

And yellow jackets ARE aggressice!

"The yellowjacket is one of the most menacing insects known to man. These brightly colored wasps possess a fiery sting and bite seemingly out of proportion to their size."

Source: https://www.rescue.com/latest-buzz/outdoor-pests/what-makes-yellowjackets-so-dangerous/

I get those "Cicada Killer Wasps" in my yard every summer and have never had a problem with them.
Those yellow jackets which arrive late summer are a nuisance though.

I get those "Cicada Killer Wasps" in my yard every summer and have never had a problem with them.
Those yellow jackets which arrive late summer are a nuisance though.

Roughly about 1 1/2 to 2 months ago I was doing some yard work and moved an old piece of a tree trunk that had been sitting near the edge of my property a long time (I was raking up pine needles that had accumulated over time) and some fairly small bees/wasps/whatever starting flying around near the ground and there seemed to be a small hole in the ground they had come out of, now I could not get a close up pic (should had took a pic from a distance and zoomed in) but kept my distance and continued my yard work when I felt a sting around my ankle, got stung right thru my sock :lol: but kept working and was not stung again.

As small as they were I don't think they were yellow jackets, but whatever they were one of them stung me even though I was not real close at the time. :roll:

Back in my teen years I was riding a motorcycle and a yellow jacket managed to get in the sleeve of my jacket. In a matter of seconds the like bugger got me at least 5 time on the inside of my elbow. I was flying down a dirt trail no hands trying to jerk my jacket off as fast as I could, surprised I didn't eat dirt.

Ha!
I was BrushHogging with my Tractor a few years ago I and ran over a Yellow jacket nest, my old John Deere model 40U tractor didn't ran faster enough LOL & got me several times. It was raining pretty good & ran along several cedars limbs & wiping them off. My buddy with me told me to stay away from ~10' & they usually won't getting you. I waited an hour & tried it again, it worked...

I think a Yellow jacket can sting you several times but other wasps can only sting you once, his stringer part pulls off the wasps & can't do it again. I think even the wasp dies then - good -

I was detecting my Simplex about 10' from a building when Red Wasps got me all around me, about a dozen. It only got my ear but - Ouch -
Apparently their nest was on the building near the roof

Hot Shot Spray fixed the nest [ after dark, when they are all home ]

Red Wasps are mean for sure but...

I wonder if the detector sound on a target got them mad??? that's when they got me

They may be like our yellow jackets in Georgia. You get near their nest they all attack. They have no friends. and ouch, ouch. ran over a nest with the lawn mower and my wife and I were out in the yard in shorts and tee shirts. ouch, ouch, ran in house and brought about a dozen in with us, ouch, ouch.

burned the nest with kerosene after dark and put a clear glass pie plate over the hole. Makes them think they can fly out and they get burned. Ouch. Hate and fear those suckers.

Man I don't know what a bullet ant is but I hope I never see or feel one!

Attachments

• sting index.jpg
    sting index.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 175

I can testify to the yellow jacket aggressiveness. During the day when you see maybe one or two yellow jackets out foraging, not a problem. But in early morning or evening when they are leaving or returning to a hole in the ground you better get out of that area. The are super aggressive and this stings will give you a red circle about the size of a fifty cent piece and hurts like heck for about 10 minutes. This has happened to me twice, multiple stings.

We have several stinger equipped critter here. Wasps get me three or four times a year. They p?ss me off more than hurt really bad.
IMO a bald hornet is way worse than a wasp, by far.
I got stung by a red-velvet ant years ago. extremely painfull; the local name for them is cow killer ants!!!!

"nasty! all! can
hit ya again and again!..unlike a bee which will hit ya once and rip its ass out stinging you!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

I know for a fact you can't outrun an angry wasp :dontthinkso:

Steve

I know.. was cutting an account on my zero turn mower got close to a holly tree what didn't see was the white faced hornets nest that my mower found I pushed on my paddles forward was traveling 14mph and they still got me... I went back in the evening and killed them all with a spray... my ear looked like dumbo the elephant for a week :lol:

Back
Top Bottom