Back to the Colonial Haul (image heavy) 07/08 updates **

EmuDetector

Forum Supporter
Not going to type a long story for this one, just show the pictures. The crew and I went back to a very solid permission we have and this weekend's efforts put me with 3 more large cents, 2 unknown coppers, a 1773 VA Half Penny, 1952 silver Quarter (D), some wheaties, maybe a gun part?, and other goodies. My crew also scored an 1854 Half Dime, sterling silver cross, and an 1832 Nova Scotia penny. A previous weekend I did not get with them also netted a trime, and some barber quarters and dimes. I believe we are up to ~30 significant coins and a ton of other relics. It has been a great spot with a massive mix of history so far.

The previous postings are here:
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=291215
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=291556

*** Updates for later IDs. I believe one of my unknown coppers is a 1670s Charles II Farthing. The size lines up and you can still see a bit of the silhouette. A book I recently received as a gift for relic hunting, was actually written based on finds in the area and some of these were found by the author as well.

**My data plate is going to be a Brown Bess Wrist Plate, from the famous brown bess series rifles used by the British in the area. The marks are for Company D, rifle 93.

As always, check them out, play spot the coin in the hole and thanks for looking!

Maybe a plate from a gun?

1830-1850 Federal Navy button with thread in the hole

Last edited:
Great old finds. That half dime is in outstanding condition! Congrats.

The cross made me chuckle though.

Steve

Last edited:
Great old finds. That half dime is in outstanding condition! Congrats.

The cross made me chuckle though.

Steve

Steve, Chuckle ? If you are referring to call a Priest. It was important to a Catholic if gravely injured to have the sacrament of the Last Rite's performed before you pass. I have dug at least 6 of those, but never a sterling one. And yes I guess you can tell I was raised Catholic. I was on the choir, thank God I wasn't and Altar Boy after learning what a lot of them went through. Sorry, not trying to make fun of others pain. Good luck. Mark

Steve, Chuckle ? If you are referring to call a Priest. It was important to a Catholic if gravely injured to have the sacrament of the Last Rite's performed before you pass. I have dug at least 6 of those, but never a sterling one. And yes I guess you can tell I was raised Catholic. I was on the choir, thank God I wasn't and Altar Boy after learning what a lot of them went through. Sorry, not trying to make fun of others pain. Good luck. Mark

Whoa...being non-Catholic I guess I have something to learn. Sorry and thank's for educating me Mark.

Steve

East coast LC's. Sick sick sick. I especially hate the in-situ reveal pix ! :sissyfight:

Thanks all! Can't wait to get back to it. Looking around I believe one of my unknown coppers is a Charles II Farthing. Still looking!

Hot permission! Rock on! Neat pix. Any clues about the arrowhead shaped thing with "D 93" stamped in turns out to be?

Nothing at all, very open to input. There's a small threaded spot on the back. The shape looks like one I've seen on muskets and such and I figure that could line up if the D 93 was a rack or issued number. There's a bunch of examples of the larger plates embedded in the wood stocks if you look around. Below is a photo of the back

Incredible amount of great finds right there!
I swear when I retire I'm moving to the East Coast and finding older stuff!

Nice. Being Catholic, I love the cross pendant. Thanks for sharing.

I wish I could say we get Colonial finds like that all the time here in Idaho. Lucky to find an Indian Head.

Thanks guys! The cross was definitely a cool little piece to add with everything else going on there.

Back
Top Bottom