• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Don't accuse me of planting this!

Country Dirt Kid

Elite Member
I never got a chance to post the best bottle that I ever dug last year. An old house in the neighborhood was bought by a remodeler and flipper. I ask the new owner if I could try to find the old outhouse that was certainly there. For once in my treasure hunting career something actually worked and I found a bottle that wasn't broke. This is a Pikes Peak Gold Rush Bottle. It was sold to people that were on their way to Pikes Peak in Colorado for the gold rush of 1868. Amazing that I found one in Illinois.

Attachments

• A1.jpg
    A1.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 553
  • B1.jpg
    B1.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 546
  • C1.jpg
    C1.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 544
  • E1.jpg
    E1.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 560
  • G1.jpg
    G1.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 550
  • H1.jpg
    H1.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 551
  • F1.jpg
    F1.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 532
Lot of history behind Pikes Peak today.
Would have been aged nicely if it had of been full .
What's the pipe made of ???

Lot of history behind Pikes Peak today.
Would have been aged nicely if it had of been full .
What's the pipe made of ???

I believe that is a clay pipe. Awesome bottle! Assuming you found the privy, did any other interesting bottles come up? My uncle and I have a few permissions this season to locate some old privies. Just gotta find the time! :roll: congrats, and hope you find some more!

That's a really cool bottle. Clearly planted and set up. No way you could have dug that hole with that small of a shovel. And it cleaned up just like it looks on ebay before you bought it. :lol:

Nice bottle but why is there a new cork in the top?

Putting water in it somehow makes the glass look more clear. Without water the glass looks hazy.

Thanks for the replies everyone this was meaningful for me in that I have been treasure hunting for years and have mostly found junk but not this time.

Putting water in it somehow makes the glass look more clear. Without water the glass looks hazy.

Thanks for the replies everyone this was meaningful for me in that I have been treasure hunting for years and have mostly found junk but not this time.

I agree. I have a bag of different sized corks for that purpose. If you are going to display it with the water I'd suggest putting a few drops of bleach in the water to prevent slime growing..

I would proudly display both pieces. Great finds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice find! :thumbsup: Flasks are ALWAYS a great find. I dug a "clasped hands" Eagle flask years ago but it has a small edge chip.

What other bottles came outta that hole? Should be some good ones with that age you have there.

Nice find! :thumbsup: Flasks are ALWAYS a great find. I dug a "clasped hands" Eagle flask years ago but it has a small edge chip.

What other bottles came outta that hole? Should be some good ones with that age you have there.

I tried and tried but there was nothing else but a broken drinking glass and 2 broken oil lamps.

Such a cool bottle. Congrats. I would’ve loved to have found that. I went up pikes peak in the back of a station wagon when I was a teenager and we were on a cross country vacation. It was the first time I had ever experienced the effects of high altitude. And I was born in Pittsburgh.

I saw you mentioned filling the bottle with water to make it appear clear. If there is a film on the outside, you can wipe it down with something like baby oil or olive oil and it will clear it up also.

Back
Top Bottom