• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

one reason I don't hunt civil war relics in the summer in GA

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
Of course it is so hot in the summer, mosquitos and of course snakes. I am not afraid of snakes, handled lots of them as a kid growing up. But this monster would scare the you know what out of me.

Attachments

• bigsnake.jpg
    bigsnake.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 453
Why did he kill it? Adamanteus is one of the most docile rattlesnakes and is on the brink of being listed as endangered. Rodents present a much greater hazard to humans with their zoonotic diseases and other damage they cause. Nature built the better mousetrap and it even includes a warning device!?! Sure, they look scary, but as Aldo Leopold put it “Harmless if left to themselves”.

Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake, Crotalus adamanteus. The largest of the rattlesnakes, but also rather calm as they don’t have many predators. That pictured snake is probably 20+ years old and was quietly going about it’s business. I’m all for removing the invasive boas, pythons, and anacondas from the southeast wilds, but give the rattlers some space and there will be few problems. It especially frustrates me when I learn someone was in the woods for their one—time a year adventure and found a snake and killed it, like they view themselves as some kind of hero. I mean, Native Americans coexisted for thousands of years with them; they were able to figure out to avoid the pointy end. If you find one, look upon it in awe, then select a safe path and retreat, and feel blessed with the encounter of an exceedingly rare species.

Sure, they have the potential to harm, but that doesn’t make them a monster. Someone having 1 too many drinks in a bar before driving home is far more hazardous to your safety, but that doesn’t make them a monster either. A healthy world is full of risk and reward, take away the risk and you cheapen the reward. Personally, knowing a danger noodle may be around only heightens my senses, something modern man gets little experience with anymore. I don’t go looking for trouble, but being on alert in the woods beats sitting on the couch any day of the week.

Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake, Crotalus adamanteus. The largest of the rattlesnakes, but also rather calm as they don’t have many predators. That pictured snake is probably 20+ years old and was quietly going about it’s business. I’m all for removing the invasive boas, pythons, and anacondas from the southeast wilds, but give the rattlers some space and there will be few problems. It especially frustrates me when I learn someone was in the woods for their one—time a year adventure and found a snake and killed it, like they view themselves as some kind of hero. I mean, Native Americans coexisted for thousands of years with them; they were able to figure out to avoid the pointy end. If you find one, look upon it in awe, then select a safe path and retreat, and feel blessed with the encounter of an exceedingly rare species.

Just hope you don't step on it before you see it. That snake can kill you if you take a wrong step.. not to mention your children, pets, etc.

I've had my share of close calls and am very fortunate to have not been bitten. Several friends were bitten and it didn't turn out well.

I will not go out of my way to kill one but will not share my space with one either.

Mercy and compassion are advanced human traits. Unfortunately, this guy looks like he's not the sharpest tool in the shed. I swear, I can almost hear "Dueling Banjos" in the background!

Reminds me of that show "Swamp People" Whenever they're torturing an alligator, the narrator refers to it as "the beast" or "the monster". Nope, it's just one of God's creatures that just wants to be left alone. You might be a redneck if you feel the need to kill anything that scares you...

Just hope you don't step on it before you see it. That snake can kill you if you take a wrong step.. not to mention your children, pets, etc.

I've had my share of close calls and am very fortunate to have not been bitten. Several friends were bitten and it didn't turn out well.

I will not go out of my way to kill one but will not share my space with one either.

This

iu

I agree with you Johnny. There is only one snake that I will kill and that is a Copperhead in my yard or garage. I grew up as a teen hunting snakes, keeping them for a week or two and letting them go. Even in the woods and fields (their homes) I won't kill if any snake even copperheads. I just go another route. Had an Indigo snake as a teen for two years.

It was 6.5 feet long and a beautiful snake and very docile. But now it is illegal in Georgia to keep any native to GA animal in captivity without a state license. And for good reason.

I have no problem co-existing with rattle snakes, just so long as we are co-existing in different area codes:laughing:

Why did he kill it? Adamanteus is one of the most docile rattlesnakes and is on the brink of being listed as endangered. Rodents present a much greater hazard to humans with their zoonotic diseases and other damage they cause. Nature built the better mousetrap and it even includes a warning device!?! Sure, they look scary, but as Aldo Leopold put it “Harmless if left to themselves”.

Why are you assuming the guy in the photo killed the snake?
All you see is a photo of a man holding a dead snake on a stick.
You do not know the circumstances of how the snake died.

I'm afraid the adrenaline rush might cause a heart attack if I walked up on that thing. It is huge !

Why are you assuming the guy in the photo killed the snake?
All you see is a photo of a man holding a dead snake on a stick.
You do not know the circumstances of how the snake died.

I see multiple lesions on the snake, a shovel in the background, and a smirk on the guy's face. That, to me anyway, appears to be a guy proud of his actions.

I did Timber Rattlesnake surveys in the 90's that eventually lead to Protected Wild Animal status in Wisconsin due to the decline in their population, mostly caused by human predation and low reproductive capacity. Another surveyor inadvertently stepped on one, and still, all the snake did was attempt to retreat. Now Copperheads and Cottonmouths are a whole other family, and as the do have many predator's, they are certainly more aggressive. As we advised homeowners with Timber encounters, spraying a snake with the garden hose is the safest way the get them out of the yard, as most bites occur when someone tries to handle the snake, whether to move or kill it.

Now the good news is if bitten, simply getting to a emergency room will save you. Of the very few envenomation's that are fatal in the USA, there is often some other circumstances involved, such as they didn't seek professional treatment, drank alcohol to "counteract" the venom, or even tried to pray it away (that's another story all unto itself...) So sure, there are risks, but mitigation is simple: wear boots that cover your ankles (second most likely bit area, hands are first), be aware of your surroundings, and if you do encounter a venomous snake, simply retreat.

Thank you for attending my TED Talk.

I'm afraid the adrenaline rush might cause a heart attack if I walked up on that thing. It is huge !

Hanging off the stick, close to the camera, probably not quite as big as you'd think.

Still big enough to kill, so I guess that's the important part :lol:

I see multiple lesions on the snake, a shovel in the background, and a smirk on the guy's face. That, to me anyway, appears to be a guy proud of his actions.

I did Timber Rattlesnake surveys in the 90's that eventually lead to Protected Wild Animal status in Wisconsin due to the decline in their population, mostly caused by human predation and low reproductive capacity. Another surveyor inadvertently stepped on one, and still, all the snake did was attempt to retreat. Now Copperheads and Cottonmouths are a whole other family, and as the do have many predator's, they are certainly more aggressive. As we advised homeowners with Timber encounters, spraying a snake with the garden hose is the safest way the get them out of the yard, as most bites occur when someone tries to handle the snake, whether to move or kill it.

Now the good news is if bitten, simply getting to a emergency room will save you. Of the very few envenomation's that are fatal in the USA, there is often some other circumstances involved, such as they didn't seek professional treatment, drank alcohol to "counteract" the venom, or even tried to pray it away (that's another story all unto itself...) So sure, there are risks, but mitigation is simple: wear boots that cover your ankles (second most likely bit area, hands are first), be aware of your surroundings, and if you do encounter a venomous snake, simply retreat.

Thank you for attending my TED Talk.

In my state the rattlesnakes are fast but not as fast as the copperheads and cottonmouths. I wonder if the much higher 100 plus degree temperatures here make them faster than their rattlesnake brethren in Wisconsin where the temperatures are lower?

Yes you can see where the snake is been chopped behind its head.
the man in the picture is a metal detectorists. I copied the image from a metal detecting Facebook newsgroup.

The biggest threat to us in Pa. is not the poisonous snakes but the ticks..especially the deer tick.The rattlesnakes prey on the mice that are the main carriers of ticks and studies have shown that areas with healthy rattlesnake populations have lower tick populations....and thats a big plus! I understand that many people have a natural fear of snakes but they really shouldn't kill them.

Mercy and compassion are advanced human traits. Unfortunately, this guy looks like he's not the sharpest tool in the shed. I swear, I can almost hear "Dueling Banjos" in the background!

Reminds me of that show "Swamp People" Whenever they're torturing an alligator, the narrator refers to it as "the beast" or "the monster". Nope, it's just one of God's creatures that just wants to be left alone. You might be a redneck if you feel the need to kill anything that scares you...

Wow, that seems rich coming from FBT. Judge people much?

Back
Top Bottom