• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Another Half Pinter!

Diabolik

Elite Member
I was crawling through some brush in a local park I was hunting today after spying what looked like remnants of an old stone wall. There were a lot of beer bottles but nothing special until I found this one. I have found 3 similar wide mouth half pint bottles in and around this park. Not sure why I like these so much but I really like finding them. This one is labeled Silver Seal Meadow Gold.

Attachments

• Bottle5.jpg
    Bottle5.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 460
  • Bottle6.jpg
    Bottle6.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 456
Great looking half pint. Nice save!

Thanks!

Very cool looking bottle, I've only found pieces of bottles so far. Hope to come across some whole ones some day. Congrats :)

I only collect glass when I come across something cool, I would like to find a "purple" glass bottle. I thought had one a few outings ago, but the bottom was broken. I was bummed. I always find pieces of them.

Cool find Ryan. I have only found one intact. I use it for the marbles I find. Mark

Thanks! I love the wide mouth on them. makes them great for storing stuff in. I had never thought about marbles. I have only ever found a few of them which I do save.

Nice find - when I was in first grade in 1956 they were still using those for our lunch milk. I think they switched to paper cartons a year or two later.

Great bottle! The Meadow Gold milk brand was sold by Beatrice Foods Co, based in Chicago and Irvine, CA. Meadow Gold was one of their many, many brands. They were founded in 1894 and was acquired by Conagra in 1990. Here's a neat 1950's ad, different bottle and carton, but still cool. Based on the style of lip your bottle has, I would guess it's 1950's to early 1960's.

Great find!

Attachments

• 1953-meadow-gold-ad-you-re-never-too-young.jpg
    1953-meadow-gold-ad-you-re-never-too-young.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 336
Great bottle! The Meadow Gold milk brand was sold by Beatrice Foods Co, based in Chicago and Irvine, CA. Meadow Gold was one of their many, many brands. They were founded in 1894 and was acquired by Conagra in 1990. Here's a neat 1950's ad, different bottle and carton, but still cool. Based on the style of lip your bottle has, I would guess it's 1950's to early 1960's.

Great find!

Thanks, the other half pints I found were from dairies in this area but I didn’t know if Meadow Gold was sold here. Definitely cool history though.

Yeah that's a design patent. There *may* be a faint 2-digit date code on the bottom, but not all milks have them or sometimes so faint they are about invisible. I would guess your bottle to be 50s to 60s.

I’ll look again but initially I could only see a raised circle on the bottom that looked smooth. Thanks! I’m still amazed this survived.

Love it! Here's a 1934 ad, the Silver Seal apparently meant the aluminum cap. Those caps sound pretty good when you swing over one, dug dozens at one old home site.

Attachments

• Oklahoma_City_Star_Fri__Nov_16__1934_.jpg
    Oklahoma_City_Star_Fri__Nov_16__1934_.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 298
Love it! Here's a 1934 ad, the Silver Seal apparently meant the aluminum cap. Those caps sound pretty good when you swing over one, dug dozens at one old home site.

Thanks for sharing this. I would love to find one of those caps to go with the bottles that I have.

They are usually mooshed flat but you might be able to shape it over the mouth of your bottle. In fact, I need to do that to the few i saved. I have a half pinter somewhere.

Here's one of the better ones of dozens I dug. These people drank milk like I drink Mountain Dew! Fron a dairy about 15 miles from me

Attachments

• Clay Center dairy milk cap.jpg
    Clay Center dairy milk cap.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 282
Here's an example of one of our local dairy's foil caps. Found a few thru the years but yes they are quite fragile. Still nice to find 'em in any condition.

Attachments

• Scholl Cap.jpg
    Scholl Cap.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 244
Pint and half pint bottles are some of my favorite sizes for some reason.

Back
Top Bottom