Corregidor ,Philippines

this post was about the historic battle site of Corregidor

I know this is a very old post, but .... re.: the supposed Yamashita treasure legend :

I say that it's exactly as you say : Merely "tales". And I am highly doubtful of the supposed "reports of finds made". They are typically just attempts to raise $ investors for treasure hunts.

There is just so much cultural superstition lore over there. They are very keen on suspecting treasure in "every cave" or in "every swamp" blah blah. And sure, it's always "someone who told someone who told someone who told someone" blah blah. Typically traced back to supposed WWII witness who 'saw something suspicious" ,etc... And it's always nothing more than embellished lore. Always a "bit deeper". A "bit more to the right", and a "bit more to the left", etc... (kind of like Oak Island, eh ?) .

And the entire Rogela Roxas bologna has been debunked. Ie.: sure as heck, nothing to show, despite all the hoopla. But sure, that's all because of a giant conspiracy. Right ? Yup.

Sorry, but I lump all the Yamashita treasure lore into the same category of Oak Island, Lost Dutchman, Dents Run, etc... Just fun camp-fire stories, and nothing more.
Tom only bothered to quote on line out of my post , the thread was on the historic battle site of Corregidor for those interested in learning some war history in the Philippines . Lots of information on the island , first hand accounts on what it was like holding out against the Japanese , Mac Authors escape from there , the dumping of the silver coins in the bay to keep them out of Japanese hands and later retaking the island by the Americans. As far as I know the whole island is off limits to treasure hunters . The full post that Tom didn't bother to quote was .
Philippines
My dad served in the Philippines during the later part of the war ,he served on some of the smaller islands in a medical unit. Never liked to talk about it much. I think thats why i found it interesting, I married my wife from Bohol Philippines in 1989 and still married. I have been to Bohol several times that is where i got to use my detector for the first time. I would like to check out Corregidor on some future visit. In the mean time i have been doing research on my wife's island history during the war and possibly get some targets that i may be able to hunt. Still lots of tales of hidden Japanese gold there and a number of reports of small finds made. I am a lot more interested in the large silver coins that the us minted after the take over of the Philippines the first few years 1903-1906,and old Spanish coins. It might be nice if you can get your aunt to tell her first hand account of the war there on the site ( corregidor.org ).

Last edited:
Tom only bothered to quote on line out of my post ,....

Well, sure. Because that's the one thing part-of-it that I was addressing. I don't/didn't have any difference of opinion on the other things you're citing. Was just seeing the thing about the "Japanese (aka Yamashita) treasure" part.

.... As far as I know the whole island is off limits to treasure hunters . .....

Huh ? There's lots of md'rs there. Detectors are a common site on the tourist beaches, for example. I haven't been there personally, but have followed the subject whenever it's come up on forums. And md'ing seems to be common-place over there in the Philippines. Thus can't be "off-limits", eh ? :?:

.... Still lots of tales of hidden Japanese gold there and a number of reports of small finds made......

Yes, lots of tales. It's steeped into their culture. Another place where scores of treasure stories get told, is Mexico. Seems they're convinced of treasures in every cave, every old ruin, etc..... And they always sound so iron-clad true (who can resist a good treasure story after all).

And also the "tips of icebergs" of "small finds made" . Eg.: Someone knows someone who saw a treasure dug up , blah blah. So when my guide and I were down there chasing multiple of these stories, I began to smell that these were all just camp-fire-stories gone awry. So , on a suspicion, I asked my host about some of the treasures that he'd told me about that were already past-tense found. After some pressuring him, to introduce me to these people who'd "seen a treasure", well, ... when we finally track down the individual, it turns out that they didn't actually *see* it. But ... not to worry ... they got it on good authority from so & so who saw it. So we track down THAT person. And guess what ? They too didn't actually see it either. BUT NOT TO WORRY. Because they got it on good authority from so & so. And so forth back to permanent regression.

And with each telling, it's always told in first-person-singular-present tense. So I began to sense that .... so too were all these treasures we'd gone down there to find. They sounded SO COMPELLING here in the USA . Ie.: Detectors will make child's play on finding more of them, eh ? Yet one by one, with a little healthy skepticism, they all crumpled into simple ghost-story-legends.

So too do I have my doubts about all the Philippine lore. There must be 100,000 maps floating around (you can buy them on the street corners). Each with a pedigree lineage and compelling authenticity, eh ?

Corregidor , Philippines

Well, sure. Because that's the one thing part-of-it that I was addressing. I don't/didn't have any difference of opinion on the other things you're citing. Was just seeing the thing about the "Japanese (aka Yamashita) treasure" part.

Huh ? There's lots of md'rs there. Detectors are a common site on the tourist beaches, for example. I haven't been there personally, but have followed the subject whenever it's come up on forums. And md'ing seems to be common-place over there in the Philippines. Thus can't be "off-limits", eh ? :?:

Yes, lots of tales. It's steeped into their culture. Another place where scores of treasure stories get told, is Mexico. Seems they're convinced of treasures in every cave, every old ruin, etc..... And they always sound so iron-clad true (who can resist a good treasure story after all).

And also the "tips of icebergs" of "small finds made" . Eg.: Someone knows someone who saw a treasure dug up , blah blah. So when my guide and I were down there chasing multiple of these stories, I began to smell that these were all just camp-fire-stories gone awry. So , on a suspicion, I asked my host about some of the treasures that he'd told me about that were already past-tense found. After some pressuring him, to introduce me to these people who'd "seen a treasure", well, ... when we finally track down the individual, it turns out that they didn't actually *see* it. But ... not to worry ... they got it on good authority from so & so who saw it. So we track down THAT person. And guess what ? They too didn't actually see it either. BUT NOT TO WORRY. Because they got it on good authority from so & so. And so forth back to permanent regression.

And with each telling, it's always told in first-person-singular-present tense. So I began to sense that .... so too were all these treasures we'd gone down there to find. They sounded SO COMPELLING here in the USA . Ie.: Detectors will make child's play on finding more of them, eh ? Yet one by one, with a little healthy skepticism, they all crumpled into simple ghost-story-legends.

So too do I have my doubts about all the Philippine lore. There must be 100,000 maps floating around (you can buy them on the street corners). Each with a pedigree lineage and compelling authenticity, eh ?

As far as I know the whole island of Corregidor is off limits to metal detecting and is treated as a war memorial and tourist site. but that is just 1 of over 7000 islands . In general there are no issues metal detecting beaches or private land , or under water ,no permits needed. Looking for Japanese treasure on the other hand requires a Philippines Government permit where any finds are split between the government , land owner, and the permit holder. This was a old thread 2014 since then I have been over there several times taking a detector the last 2 times. The public beaches are very trashy , people bury their trash in the sand. There are many nice private resorts on many of the islands which are ripe for detecting lots of rich tourist showing off their gold and silver jewelry. They get a lot of European , American , Chinese and Australian tourist. While you will see some foreigners with detectors very few locals have them . I have read lots of Philippine's history espically World war II period. Reading a book now about the first American tank battles of world War II which took place on Bataan Philippines about 2 weeks after the national guard units arrived. I also collect Philippines coins and have built a nice collection since this thread was started. Due to the large amounts of solders killed on the islands there has to be relics all over the islands. While I found there wasn't much military action on the island my wife comes from and where we have a house, there was a lot on the next island over and have been researching it.

And congratz on marrying a beautiful Philippine lady. Of all the nationalities of the world, the Philippine women are sseeeooo beautiful. :cool:

philippines

And congratz on marrying a beautiful Philippine lady. Of all the nationalities of the world, the Philippine women are sseeeooo beautiful. :cool:

Went over there in 1989 to meet my pen pall had a 2 week vacation , got married ten days after arriving , married by a judge there with a big reception at her house, fell in love with my wife and the Philippines . If you ever decide you want to go over and clean up the beaches be glad to suggest a few very safe places . I have learned a lot about the Philippines since 1989 , just think we got married before internet , personal computers , and to make a phone call you had to go to the city and go to a phone center. Someone like you could probably pay for you trip in found jewelry alone. Japanese war relics go for some big bucks on e-bay as well.

OMG Dave killer links man! Great stuff, thanks for posting. I am for sure going to have to dig up the photos from my visit there.

There was one mention of someone cutting a trail somewhere who had a metal detector and left his holes!

The way the island was blasted apart and reworked might make it tough to find areas where it would be easy to recover relics and stuff. Imagine all the iron.....

OMG Dave killer links man! Great stuff, thanks for posting. I am for sure going to have to dig up the photos from my visit there.

There was one mention of someone cutting a trail somewhere who had a metal detector and left his holes!

The way the island was blasted apart and reworked might make it tough to find areas where it would be easy to recover relics and stuff. Imagine all the iron.....

can you imagine diving off the piers there how many weapons were dumped there , coins , valuables , i heard one report that they pushed Mac Authors car off to keep the Japanese from getting hold of it.

Back
Top Bottom