Metal Detecting Historic Sites

ThunderAndRain

There's an old trolley depot in my hometown that I think I may be able to detect but the site has historical significance. Is this a place that you think would be allowed to detect? How do you figure out what historically significant sites are off limits and what are fair game? Is there a registry of some sorts that's possible to reference?

https://www.portlandmaine.gov/1947/Riverton-Trolley-Park

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there somewhere that it's labeled a "Historic site" ? As in a plaque, a marker, or a trinomial system archie designation, etc....? :?:

Or are you one saying that it's a "historic site" ? Simply because it's an old spot ?

Because, when you think of it : Anytime you see someone here posting show & tell of old coins, old relics, old tokens, etc.... Then *by definition*, they must have been hunting a "historic site".

I mean: No one finds seateds, reales, LC's, gold coins, relics, in "modern sites", right ? They are finding them in sites that have historical usage. Right ? Lest they could never have found the old coins, IN THE FIRST PLACE , if they hadn't been hunting "a historic site". :roll:

Thus yes, we all detect historic sites.

But If you meant: "Historic sites that are off-limits", and hence : "How do I know ?", then here's how you can know :

You look up the rules and laws , for the site in question. Eg.: Dogs on leash, no fireworks, closes at dusk, etc.... If you see nothing that says "No md'ing", then presto, it's not prohibited.

HOWEVER, we all use a bit of common sense. If it's an obvious historic themed monument (and not just simply "an old park" or "an old train station"), then sure, don't be an eyesore at such places, even in the absence of a specific rule or law.

In fact, I see that your link indicates it's within a city muni park. With a whizzbang full website. And although I haven't done it yet, I'll bet that the park rules are there. So you can simply look it up, to see if any such rule or law exists. Eh ?

And it probably has a fast key-word search function, where you can just type in variations of "metal" and "detecting" and "detector", and so forth. If there's nothing that says "no metal detectors", then presto: There's your answer.

The link posted has the following:

“METAL DETECTING

Metal detecting is only allowed in wooded areas and on beaches. Any holes must be immediately filled. Absolutely no metal detecting or digging in park landscaped areas, lawns, athletic fields, cemeteries, or playgrounds. ”

Also mentions fields are artificial turf.

Thanks guys. I should have mentioned that I did find the park rules and regulations. I'm new to this so I'm a bit skiddish. I wasn't sure if there were any unwritten rules about landmarks such as this. But it seems that the best course of action is to dig if it doesn't say you can't and make sure I leave it the way you found it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I mean: No one finds seateds, reales, LC's, gold coins, relics, in "modern sites", right ? They are finding them in sites that have historical usage. Right ?

Not all the time. Fill dirt can be a wonderful thing sometimes :shock:

But back to the question. If it says "National Register of Historic Places", I believe even on private property, it is out of bounds, but you will have to look that up.

I am aware of a couple around here who just bought an NRHP home, and they have to go to the local government for approval just to replace water damaged drywall inside the walls of their own home, so be careful of NRHP and similar official designations.

..... If it says "National Register of Historic Places", I believe even on private property, it is out of bounds, .....

Really? Then I guess that the poor beleaguered private property people that gave me permission to hunt their N.R.H.P. location : Were not aware of this. A highly sensitive historical spot, on that registry.

And if I had known, I certainly would have argued with their "yes ".

Now my conscience is overcome with grief and guilt. :no: Who can I send these reales and seateds to, in order to absolve my conscience of this horrific crime ? :?:

I've detected a NRHP site before with permission from the property owner. Obviously you would run into problems trying to metal detect at a protected archaeological site, but those types of places are public property anyway (national park sites) and clearly off limits. As far as I know, private property listed on the NRHP is still private property, which means the property owner can give you permission to detect.

Back
Top Bottom