• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Trade axe? Time period?

TerryEastTexas

Forum Supporter
I believe this is a trade axe. What time period would it be dated to?

Attachments

• 100_4141.JPG
    100_4141.JPG
    145.7 KB · Views: 248
  • 100_4119.JPG
    100_4119.JPG
    142.5 KB · Views: 252
I find axes left and right and none of mine look remotely like that. Considering that my area was uninhabited before 1834 I going to say that your axe is much older than that. That's my logic anyway.

Hard to see the pics, but is it broken at where the eye/hole would be? or is the hole further forward and i just can't tell? Maybe we can get some more well lit pictures from some more angles? the shape I feel is close enough to say trade axe, but need some better pics to attempt to figure out what part of the world it came from and what rough time period.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 100_4145.JPG
    100_4145.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 188
  • 100_4134.JPG
    100_4134.JPG
    180.3 KB · Views: 186
  • 100_4135.jpg
    100_4135.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 181
that helps a lot. it shows the construction which is correct. I am confident is saying 100 percent a trade axe. So these "fur trade axes" came mostly from 3 sources. the french, spanish, british, and then the colonies who started to copy them at later dates in much much smaller numbers. A general rule(but not a exact rule) is the ones from the colonies and british seem to have a top line that slightly curves down. Yours is relatively straight and with a wider blade, so I think it is safe to say for sure this is a imported trade axe from either the spanish or french. The french are more likely due to them being one of the largest supplier of these things, yet your location makes me think spanish is possible. As for a time period I can pretty much give you a shut off date of no later than 1750ish. Its construction and location lead me to believe that it is much earlier than 1750s. The earlist trade axes date into the mid/late 1500s. it is pretty hard to nail these down to a smaller date range.

that helps a lot. it shows the construction which is correct. I am confident is saying 100 percent a trade axe. So these "fur trade axes" came mostly from 3 sources. the french, spanish, british, and then the colonies who started to copy them at later dates in much much smaller numbers. A general rule(but not a exact rule) is the ones from the colonies and british seem to have a top line that slightly curves down. Yours is relatively straight and with a wider blade, so I think it is safe to say for sure this is a imported trade axe from either the spanish or french. The french are more likely due to them being one of the largest supplier of these things, yet your location makes me think spanish is possible. As for a time period I can pretty much give you a shut off date of no later than 1750ish. Its construction and location lead me to believe that it is much earlier than 1750s. The earlist trade axes date into the mid/late 1500s. it is pretty hard to nail these down to a smaller date range.

Thanks for the education, that's great. Hope it helps the finder

Back
Top Bottom