Speaker doesn’t work on my Go-Find

1715Hunter

Hi-
Just joined this forum. I have a MineLab GoFind 60 that I take down to Florida. This last trip, the speaker quit. Still works with head phones. I assume too much sand blew in- any ideas on how to fix it? I blew canned air in, no luck.
I know it’s not high end, so maybe a connection got fried. No visible way to open it up, either. I’ve had it about 4 years, but haven’t used it much it total.

Thanks!

Hi John-

I bought this about 4 years ago when I was going to Florida for the first time. It was actually Gary Drayton that recommended this for a beginner detector- I was going to try for an Equinox, but they weren't shipping it yet.
I like that it folds up fairly small and fits in my carry on. It's pretty basic, and I have some issues, though it might be me and my inexperience at detecting.
I get a lot of false signals, especially on wet sand- but now I just scuff the surface with my foot, and don't bother to dig unless it's a repeater. Ditto in the surf. I think it does pretty well in dry sand.
The telescoping body has kind of gotten loose, but I think it's just too much sand stuck in everything- I'm not the best at cleaning it out.
My opinion is it's a nice travel detector, but if you are more experienced, it might not be high end enough for you. I've found mostly change, and a couple of silver rings; but as I only use it on vacation, I haven't had much usage time.
I'm in NY, about 2 hrs north of NYC- we have so much clay and rocks, I haven't done much detecting around here, but I should try harder!

Don't know if this is your problem, but years ago on an old White's machine, my speaker stopped working while the headphones did. Finally figured out that where the headphones plugged into the socket the little leaf spring that cut off the speaker had gotten bent to where the speaker was always off. Bent the little part back and all was well. As I said this was on an old machine and the plug/jack was a bit different than today's machines.

Last edited:
Thanks. Do you mean you fished around into the jack hole, or could you open the machine’s casing?
I’m sure the newer machines are different- they don’t want you to open anything yourself!

Hey, guess what, 1715 hunter, I've owned a go find. Yeah. My migration form detector was HF9FMD, then GO-Find 44, Simplex+, Vanquish 440, then Equinox 800.

5 detectors! The go find was decent, good ergonomics, acceptable depth. But if you had it for 4 years, maybe switch to a simplex+ or Vanquish 440. ;)

Josh

Thanks. Do you mean you fished around into the jack hole, or could you open the machine’s casing?
I’m sure the newer machines are different- they don’t want you to open anything yourself!

This was a very old White's BFO Coinmaster detector that you opened the back to change batteries. You could also get to the earphone socket. As I recall there was a small leaf spring and when you inserted the headphone jack the leaf spring was pushed back and that turned the speaker. Somehow the spring was stuck and was always pushed back and turning off the speaker even when the headphone jack was removed. I simply bent the leaf spring back and the speaker began working.

Probably not your problem and you would have to open up the box to see.

Guess I really showed my age by this comment. :lol::lol::lol:

Thanks, Josh-
I'll muddle with the GoFind for now, I appreciate all your input. I do want to graduate to a better detector eventually, but I don't spend enough time with it to warrant it right now.
But reading all the members' posts makes me want to do it more. Just wished I lived near a beach!
Thanks,
Adrienne

Thanks, Josh-
I'll muddle with the GoFind for now, I appreciate all your input. I do want to graduate to a better detector eventually, but I don't spend enough time with it to warrant it right now.
But reading all the members' posts makes me want to do it more. Just wished I lived near a beach!
Thanks,
Adrienne

Don't fret, the beach is an hour's drive away from us. :D. So you hunt land?

Josh

we have dealers who sponsor this forum and they would appreciate the opportunity to talk to you about your needs. They are listed under list all sponsors in the upper right hand corner of the page.

Ive never seen a Go Find up close. Is it easy to pop the hood? With an extra speaker with similar specs, you could get two wires and connect to the test speaker, then touch the other ends to the terminals of the speaker that not working. If the internal speaker is just broken, when the detector is switched on, the test speaker should sound even if the internal one doesnt because juicce would still be flowing. If both speakers wont sound, then its something deeper in the machine. D/A converter or or the amp or amp circuit...which unless you're good with a soldering gun and know electronics a little wont be able.to do yourself. However, a simple speaker replacemnent IS something I would do myself and might even attempt deeper repairs if peripheral components weren't in the way

Been a musician with keyboards since 1984.
You just learn to tinker with stuff after awhile when glitches happen, and you want to do your thing but dont have alot of money for repairs. :-)

Instead of answering each post, I'll do a group reply-
JOSH-

It seems that the 44 is what replaced the 60; it looks exactly the same. Do you still have it? Maybe you can poke around and see if hubby and I are missing anything, we couldn't find a way in...

METAL PIG- if I can ever find a way in, I will try to figure out what the heck you are talking about , and give it a go...:laughing:

I have lots of hobbies, but electronics aren't on the list YET!

Back
Top Bottom