Copper tags from what or where?

aj0421

Elite Member
I just found these tags on the side of my house. As late as 1970 these lands were open farm lands. Can anybody tell me if these are old or new? The stuff on the right is some kind of paper that was between a few of them.

Attachments

• 20210504_193306.jpg
    20210504_193306.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 330
I think they are tool check out tags from the 1960s or later. The reason being is because I find paper shotgun shells from the 1960s that still have a little bit of the paper left after laying in the mud for years.

Thanks for the suggestions! Over the weekend I found a small 22 bullet casing on the over side of the house.

Attachments

• 20210504_203549.jpg
    20210504_203549.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 300
  • 20210504_203616.jpg
    20210504_203616.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 294
Cow tags tend to be a little bigger maybe around 2" but they still could be.

Miner tags. I've found quite a few of them over the years, I have a baggie full of different ones. I've read they served different purposes at the under ground mines. One was to put on a board to check in and out of the mine to ensure everyone made it out of the mine. Another was to check out tools so they knew who had them. And another I read was they put them on the carts of coal they sent up so the people up top knew the miner that sent the loaded cart. Most of them date between the 20's and 40's I believe.

Miner tags. I've found quite a few of them over the years, I have a baggie full of different ones. I've read they served different purposes at the under ground mines. One was to put on a board to check in and out of the mine to ensure everyone made it out of the mine. Another was to check out tools so they knew who had them. And another I read was they put them on the carts of coal they sent up so the people up top knew the miner that sent the loaded cart. Most of them date between the 20's and 40's I believe.

Always wondered why those guys had tags. Duh !!!

1-1/8" diameter.

Im hunting an old mining townsite, and have found similar tags.

20210424_185030 (2).jpg

Like Azmodeus pointed out the bottom tag is the miners tag. It has the mining company and mine name stamped on the top, with a number at the bottom. It has a 1.5" diameter.

The two top tags are smaller like yours, but just have a number. I believe these were the tool tags Azmodeus mentioned.

If those tags are really from South Jersey then I doubt that they are miner tags. The .22 cartridge is interesting. As a kid I remember seeing what were called .22 shot loads at a local rod & gun club that had crimps like that. Alternatively they might be old impact driver .22 charges for setting nails in concrete. Might it have been a cartridge for a starter pistol for track events? In the picture it appears like it may have a crimp on the base as though it was fired. A dud?

If those tags are really from South Jersey then I doubt that they are miner tags. The .22 cartridge is interesting. As a kid I remember seeing what were called .22 shot loads at a local rod & gun club that had crimps like that. Alternatively they might be old impact driver .22 charges for setting nails in concrete. Might it have been a cartridge for a starter pistol for track events? In the picture it appears like it may have a crimp on the base as though it was fired. A dud?

It has a strike mark on the back yes. I tried doing a little research and believe it is called something like "bird shot" where it throws out small pellets that spread when fired. I know nothing about bullets just going off what I have read.

I have probably 20 of those tags and they were for lockers at a pool. Definitely key tags for something.

Rock Jock got it, it’s either from a starter pistol or a Ramset for putting nails into concrete. The shot shells you mentioned look like a regular 22 round except instead of a single bullet on the end it has a small plastic capsule filled with tiny bb’s, like a mini shotgun shell. Very short affective range on them though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that .22 is snake shot, those tags will clean up nice for key chains, zipper pulls and such.

Rock Jock got it, it’s either from a starter pistol or a Ramset for putting nails into concrete. The shot shells you mentioned look like a regular 22 round except instead of a single bullet on the end it has a small plastic capsule filled with tiny bb’s, like a mini shotgun shell. Very short affective range on them though.

Birdshot shells

Attachments

• R27250932549f73799d055b33549aed52.jpg
    R27250932549f73799d055b33549aed52.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 225
Thanks for the correction stetam, I’ve never seen the shot shells made that way before. This pic is of the ones I was referring to and also one of the Ramset charges.
9f73b4d788186982af4ada1bf2ab3a6e.jpg

I'm calling pickers tokens. The numbers don't make much sense but were probably for a specific farm in the area.

I've also heard of those cartridges being referred to as snake shot on occasion. I think the rod and gun club I was referring to used to use .22 cal shot cartridges for shooting clays in a confined area with a berm backstop. I have often wondered if they used smoothbore barrels (??? .22???) or rifled barrels and simply lived with a bad leading problem in their guns. Arcane sport, but that is NJ, and things may have gotten crazy because the area was more farm/orchard land in the 19th Century and transitioned into a megalopolis.

Back
Top Bottom