Your vote is needed

cointroll

When I introduced myself a week ago I was ready to buy the Vanquish 540. In some ways I have not changed my mind but the money part keeps coming up. Now I am considering the Vanquish 440 as most of my hunting will be park hunting. Not many reviews out there for the 440. If I took it to the back woods would it do the job? If you where to get one which would it be. Please vote 540 or 440 and if you have time why did you vote that way. Thanks

Hmmmm. Had to go look at the Vanquish 540 and 440. I've never seen or used them. You say, "back woods" where a smaller coil would come in handy, so the V10 on the 440 would be nice.

But, as most of my hunting is at parks, yards, and beaches, I would want the V12 on the 540 for better depth. We all want better depth. All the time.

Plus the 540 has Bluetooth. I have come to hate headphone cords.

Plus, being one who started with a lower-end model. I soon came to realize, I wanted the higher end model.

Myself, I would go with the 540. It is easier to forget the few extra bucks I spent on a better detector, than to deal with a lower end detector wishing I had spent a few extra bucks for a better one.

Minelab

I don't think Minelab makes a bad detector, no matter what model you decide, 540 vs 440, you're paying for a larger coil and wireless headphone capability.
What's important to you? You will sacrifice some depth with the 440, just presuming this because of the coil size, how much depth...unknown. Wireless headphones...you can live without, most do.
If its a money issue which it seems it might be, get the 440, upgrade later when it doesn't become an issue, no sense in spoiling your fun if money becomes an issue, and the 440 can always be a keep in your car spare for when your out and about and wasn't expecting to detect but the opportunity arose.

Don't see any coil options for upgrades, so whatever you buy, that's all you'll have to use.

Want more bang for your buck, buy used, used X-Terra, Explorer, Safari, E-Trac nothing like starting off with a $800-$1500 detector for $300-$750 average used prices. Then upgrading really won't be necessary...or for a long while other than accessories.

540 or 440

I do not have a Vanquish yet but have been studying these detectors. A huge benefit/feature is "iron bias". The 540 has high and low bias so its adjustable. 440 has only high. If you've ever detected in a spot that has lots of twist off bottle caps you'd really appreciate this iron bias. Looks to me like set on high it'll block twist offs, nails and such but whats nice is knowing whats in the ground by keeping it on low bias then swithching to high to give a quick check. I saw a video on this by "iffy signals". Was pretty cool. Me I'd have fun switching bias so Im voting 540, but 440 is a nice price. 540.

Not many votes but it is what I thought it would be. The 540 Pro has been ordered and should have in a few days. Already sharping my old digging tools. Need to find a cheap pinpointer all money has been spent on the vanquish. Thanks for your votes.

The 540 is alot of bang for your buck. I had big plans for it until a company where I pre ordered it was way wrong on the date of shipment so I got a Nox 600 and what I hear the two MD are very close to being the same MD.

Good luck with it!

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

The 540 has arrived. So I hope to have a picture of lots of finds. Just my playing with it tells me I have a lot to learn as far as numbers and tones. Pictures soon I hope.

I just noticed this topic. Sorry I did not notice it sooner. I have an Equinox 600, Equinox 800 and a Vanquish 440. I really like all of them very much. I like my XP ORX and Deus too!!!

In my opinion you did the right thing by purchasing the Vanquish 540 Pro pack. If I had say a Fisher F44 or a less featured Fisher/Teknetics, Garrett Ace, just about any Tesoro, Whites Coin Master/Treasure Pro or similar or any other detector in that class built in the last 20 years, I would be seriously upgrading by moving to the Vanquish 540 Pro Pack. Just the wireless audio alone is a substantial upgrade. The Vanquish detectors have incredibly good audio and numerical target ID. It is superior to most (even many mid-level) detectors in that category. Most of all it will hunt coin sized targets in the surface to 10" range (with the V12 coil) very well and will probably hit even deeper larger targets. My 440 with the 10" coil gives very clear "Dig Me" signals on 10" US quarters and my dirt is really mineralized in most places I hunt.

Plus.......the Vanquish detectors are really comfortable to swing, operate and transport AND they are a lot of fun to use!

For a simultaneous multi frequency detector, your only better options would have been the Equinox 600 or 800. Maybe our other manufacturers will come out with some viable competition soon.

The Vanquish detector users are all in the same boat experience wise so don't be afraid to ask questions or give us your observations. I am just beginning to get to know my Vanquish 440.

I hope you enjoy it.

Jeff

My ace 250 was great. but now i see i should have upgraded much sooner!

My 440 will be here today. I will let you know how I feel about it. I planned to use it as a backup to my Simplex. I love my simplex so much my AT pro had not been turned on it quite a while.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Had both,and I sold the 540.. 540 wont get you any extra performance and the coils are either too small or too big for everyday park hunting. Just my opinion,I sold the 540 and kept the 440.
The 440 will perform just as good if not better than anything out there,regardless of price. I see the nail tests, been seeing them for a long time and people beating up this machine over that one.bla bla bla.. in the field the 440 just pulls coins from curbstrips I hit hard with a lot of machines including the vanquishs bigger brother the nox..And I’m always wondering how those machines missed those coins on a little curbstrip ,while the vanquish 440 had no trouble? You cannot go wrong getting a 440, I grab it and my more expensive machines sit

Not many votes but it is what I thought it would be. The 540 Pro has been ordered and should have in a few days. Already sharping my old digging tools. Need to find a cheap pinpointer all money has been spent on the vanquish. Thanks for your votes.
'cointroll', how has it been working out for you. I am also tardy noting and following up on this post. I saw it after you ordered so I didn't offer a post or suggestion, but I will now.

Of the three Vanquish models we see three available search coils (when dealers get them) and my preference was to check out the Vanquish 540 Pro Pack. I knew it lacked a few adjustment features that could make it more versatile, but for the dollar, it looked like it had enough potential.

It arrived and I really like the 540 Pro Pack. In 10 minutes or so I confirmed it had a design glitch, but I also found that I can work around it quite handily. It also comes with the 5X8 DD and 9X12 DD which were a perfect 'team' f detectors for me. I mainly hunt trashier places, especially older-use Relic Hunting sites and the 5X8 DD is my primary-use search coils.

It also comes with the NiMH batteries and charger, plus the excellent ML-80 headphones. These are about the best wireless headphones I have ever used and they pair up well, are comfortable and the audio quality is great.

Due to age, health issues and limited mobility I have had to trim my Detector Outfit to lighter-weight and more comfortable detectors, and the Vanquish 540 Pro , and with both coils, is an excellent fit in my group of detectors.

I sent my V-540 to Minelab USA to check for any correction for the glitch, and as soon as I sent it off, 1 week after I got it, I ordered a 2nd V-540 Pro Pack detector. My first one keeps the 5X8 DD mounted full-time for the bulk of my detecting needs, and the second 540 Pro keeps the 9X12 DD mounted full-time for open-area searches, such as a wide-open grassy park, a beach, a plowed field or rangeland search, etc.

It offers much more in the way of value, with the Iron Bias adjustment, backlight, NiMH batteries, and unbeatable headphones plus two search coils to make it a remarkable value over the 440, at least in my opinion. That 'opinion' is based on a very avid 55 years of detecting so I think it holds some merit.

Mind you, I am not one who only hunts on a random basis and gets by with only one detector or two. I hunt as often as possible, and a variety of places and site challenges. There is no such thing as a 'perfect' detector. I have a Tesoro Bandido II microMAX and Silver Sabre microMAX and they have their assigned duties.

I also have a Nokta FORS CoRe and FORS Relic which have proven to be about the best I can find for hunting the toughest ferrous-trash ghost towns and other older-use places I prefer to visit. I also have a Nokta / Makro Simplex because it offers a lot for the dollar. Impressive.

But I have been thinning out other detectors and have now decided to trim my newest two detectors and extra coils because the two Vanquish 540 Pro's made such an impressive team. I only added one more detector to my Outfit, mainly based on the results I enjoy from the V-540's, and that is an Equinox 800 which will likely keep the 6" DD coil mounted full-time because that's what I will need to use most often.

But even the EQ-800 won't be getting all the use as the V-540 is handling most day-to-day applications well. I keep the 540 w/5X8 DD in my vehicle 24/7 with one or two other detectors just to be ready should I encounter a renovation site, building tear-down or come upon some other 'right-now' opportunity.

You haven't responded back so I am curious how you like the 540 Pro and if you've had a chance to get out hunting much with it.

Monte

For a “cheap” pinpointer the best bang for your buck is the nokta pointer I love mine

Back
Top Bottom