Newest and latest tech out there? <1k$

Dghardyjr

Newest and latest tech out there under 1000$?

I am looking for a surf and turf all around detector that will find artifacts,coins and jewelry. I.e works at highly mineralized beaches and grounds

Not going to be going past waste deep with this detector.

I emphasize newest.

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

I would say the equinox is the newest that meets your criteria for now. Just my opinion though, let’s see what others say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a message for Dghardyjr.

For a quarter of a century I have participated in a number of different website Forums for the purpose of enjoyable discussions about product and search techniques, and to try and provide ansers and experience-based help for people who post questions. There are times, however, when others and I don't get that opportunity, for several reasons, such as your two posts here on FMDF.

At 10:09 on the 7th you posted the following:

Dghardyjr: said:

I am looking for a surf and turf all around detector that will find artifacts,coins and jewelry. I.e works at highly mineralized beaches and grounds

I emphasize newest.
When someone asks a couple of questions about detector selection as you did, on a public Forum, they ought to do so allowing enough time for people to read-and-respond. I didn't check in on the 7th because I was out hunting a ghost town.

When I logged in a few minutes ago to get my day started I read your post which was a bit vague. Remember, you are asking questions from a lot of people who reside all over the place, and I know that I do not know anything about you, where you live, how long you have been detecting, and what experience or knowledge you have about detectors or the needs to hunt different types of sites.

You ask about "the newest and latest tech" and then close by saying : "I emphasize newest." I wondered 'WHY' the newest and latest tech, and also just what YOU mean by "newest" or "latest" technology? You didn't describe what features you were actually looking for. No specific mention of what you wanted to do, the types of sites to search, etc., other than a beach.

Were you talking about a salt water beach or a freshwater beach? You did state: "highly mineralized beaches" which to me rules out a place like Florida, and I wondered what beaches you're referring to that are highly mineralized and, if a salt water site, would also have the low-conductive wet salts to deal with.

You also referred to highly mineralized "grounds" but left me wondering where you might search and the type of terrain you're going to be dealing with.

Overall a vague post, and such a post should have readers wondering about your experiences, what particular brands or models you might be, or might not be, interested in, or what you are using now that doesn't seem to fit your wants and needs.

Then, at 4:54 PM, a mere 7 Hours later, you post this:

Went with the vanquish 540.
Well, all I can say is this:

I have no issue with the Vanquish 540 as I bought two 540 Pro Packs. That way I can keep each of them at-the-ready to grab and hunt with the two different coils mounted. Trust me, I understand them. I know their strengths and I know their weaknesses, and how they are a workable 'fit' in my Detector Outfit.

You only said 540 so that would imply you only have the 9X12 DD coil. That will limit the types of sites you can hunt and better handle any problems with dense brush or heavy trash.

The search coils are waterproof, but not the detector. If you are hunting in "waste deep" water as you described, the Vanquish series isn't such a smart buy because the intrusion of water will destroy the detector.

You indicated you planned to hunt in some highly mineralized locations, and for true all-purpose versatility, it would be good to have a detector that provided Ground Balance adjustment for searches in the Discriminate modes, and the Vanquish doesn't provide that adjustment feature.

Oh, it's a decent detector or I wouldn't have purchased two of them, but .... I know it's limitations and I have a good group of detectors to help handle challenging conditions where it might fall short.

I wish you the best of success. I hope you take more time to actually use the Vanquish 540 and learn it, get to know the strong and weak points about it, and have some success afield wherever you live and the sites you select to hunt.

But I do offer a suggestion to you: In the future, when you are looking for help or suggestions on any Forum, please do so where you allow ample time for a worthwhile discussion. Provide information to help readers help you, or others who might have similar questions. And devote more time to learning your detector than you did to going on a Forum to ask and answer your own question.

Just my thoughts on the matter,

Monte

Topic came out of more came out of frustration of the matter, but glad I sparked an interest in your views and opinions in your novel long response. Which I didn't even read after the first paragraph monte. Very demeaning and belittling. Hope you have a good day and you will find peace.

-David

Topic came out of more came out of frustration of the matter, but glad I sparked an interest in your views and opinions in your novel long response. Which I didn't even read after the first paragraph monte. Very demeaning and belittling. Hope you have a good day and you will find peace.

-David

David, I can guarantee you I will have a good day and I find peace with much of what I do. I didn't say anything nasty or crude, if you notice, I simply pointed out that you made a post, told very little about yourself and what you were going to use the detector for, asked for some help from others for suggesting, which often lead to educational discussions, and then close the door on the subject just 7 hours later.

I didn't belittle your detector choice because I bought two of the 50 Premium Packs myself this past few weeks and know it is an OK detector. I did point out that it isn't waterproof, and hunting in waist-deep water might just waste your detector.

I also pointed out that you mentioned hunting in mineralized environments and, as a rule, for better general-purpose capability it would be good to use a detector with Ground Balance capability, but you chose a detector that lacks Ground Balance, be it automated or manual.

And I did wish you the best-of-success using your Vanquish 540. I just encouraged you to take the time to learn it well and use it to do so, and perhaps in the future, allow more time for readers to soak in what questions you have and be able to answer. That was a very quick purchase decision and, again, I do wish you the best of success with your unit. I'll be taking my 540 and a couple of other detectors I have out for some hunting today and I know I will enjoy mine.

Monte

Topic came out of more came out of frustration of the matter, but glad I sparked an interest in your views and opinions in your novel long response.

I just want to add Monte's response may have been long but it isn't novel... Monte often posts long responses like that. My advice, read them. He knows what he is doing and has much experience. I've been in this hobby for a year now and reading long winded folks like Monte has been valuable in learning about this hobby.

From everything I've read the Vanquish 540 is a good machine. It isn't waterproof so I wouldn't recommend going waist deep as one dunk and it is done. Otherwise the reviews on it seem to be very positive.

Good luck with your new machine.

JimR TN, 'Thank You' for the kind, supportive words.

When I took a look at your personal info several months ago, I got kick out of your stamen: "I was born at a young age... "

We have that in common, but as I tll folks, I'm an Old Phart, because "I was born in the First-Half of the Last Century!"

Most people have to stop and think about that a bit, but it's a good way to hint the reason for my wrinkles and sluggish mobility.

I think this feeble old guy is gon to make a sandwich for lunch and head out for some detecting. Just a few places for some Coin Hunting that might still have a silver coin hanging around. Rig's already loaded with a Vanquish 540 with both the Premium Pack coils, plus an XP ORX w/5X9½ HF coil, a Bandido II microMAX w/6" Concentric and I'm adding my Nokta FORS CoRe w/ 4.7X5.2 'OOR' DD just in case I chance upon an Iron infested site.

I hope you're able to get out, but if you work ... I remember those days ... it might get in your way. Retirement has some good points to it.:)

Monte

Hi Monte,

I’m a late baby boomer in my last few years of working. Now with the time change I should be able to get in more after work hunts. Can’t wait to retire and be able to detect more often.

Enjoy your hunt!

I emphasize newest.

The newest is not always the best.

Whew, 7-hours, that beats my 2 day blunder all to he.., I'm guilty of the same thing, started a thread asking about v-flex vs FBS and 2 days later bought a Minelab Safari. Sorry Monte and others, I guess I knew what I wanted and was going to buy, and the thread was more of an impulse looking for the nudge nudge, but before I could get responses(my fault completely) the seller and I was negotiating and he made me an offer I couldn't pass up.
So, maybe in defense of the OP, his mind was already made up as well, being a retired boomer myself I'm blaming my actions on a Brain Fart and I'm sticking to it.:sorry:

OP, I hope you enjoy your Vanquish, I miss the good-ole days where you sit around with a bunch of like minded folks with a hot cup of bean juice and just talk, so much can get lost in text. And on a forum, we're scattered to all parts of the world.

My highly intelligent wife will answer a question of mine and the way she answers is in a matter-of-fact way with zero sugar coating. At first I thought this was unkind but as I got to know her and her family, that’s just the way they were. They weren’t unkind just answered questions in a way that was most direct.
It took some thickening of my skin and sharpened my understanding of how others communicate. I learned they weren’t being judgmental, they just didn’t mince words.
This is how I see Monte. Smart, intelligent and kind enough to take the time to respond and communicate clearly what’s on his mind. This is what I’ve learned from my intelligent wife for whom I’m blessed.
Best of luck!

Dghardyjr started posting on this forum on February 29th. His first post was about some of the trouble he was having with his new F22 on the beach in Charleston SC. Being a newbie, he asked for advice at that time about currently produced metal detectors that were affordable and capable of doing well in dry and wet sand and on turf. So, he did not make a decision in 7 hours. It was more like 7 days. He had just bought his F22 and needed to return it in order to get a refund. So........relax people. He's a newbie, he doesn't need your criticism. He was asking for your help. Early on I decided to PM him so I could get more information and he responded thankfully and I was able to help him out. He sounds like he is very excited about his new hobby and appreciates any help and support that we want to give him. Let's be "Friendly" here ........or not.

Jeff

Gee sorry if I have to disagree. The OP asked for advice. Got 2 responses (both for an Equinox), and 6 hours later SIX HOURS - hardly enough time for response from the group, says he "went with" a Vanquish. Monte, whom we all know and respect as an expert in the field, pointed out that he gave no time for a response. He was 100% correct.

DGhardyjr had no right to chastise him the way he did.

DGhardyjr is a new to detecting and new to this forum.

All of us who are familiar with him, love and respect Monte, his knowledge, experience and above all, his willingness to offer help when ever he can.

When things get personal and feelings get ruffled it is probably better to use a private message instead of airing our grievances here in public.

Everybody makes mistakes especially people who are new to the forum and don't know who the long standing members are.

I think Monte handled all of this very well by the way. I just don't see the point in any of the rest of us piling on DGhardyjr..........

Jeff

Last edited:
To David, aka aka Dghardyjr, just a reminder about some of my earlier encouragements and wishe:

David, ....

And I did wish you the best-of-success using your Vanquish 540. I just encouraged you to take the time to learn it well and use it to do so, and perhaps in the future, allow more time for readers to soak in what questions you have and be able to answer. That was a very quick purchase decision and, again, I do wish you the best of success with your unit. I'll be taking my 540 and a couple of other detectors I have out for some hunting today and I know I will enjoy mine.

Monte

It's only been a few says since our forum exchanges here and, and 5 days since you said you bought the V-540. I trust all is well and you've had some opportunity to make use of your Vanquish. They are relatively simple but do have a design quirk that annoys me for the mineralized sites I hunt, but I can live with it with a simple Discrimination adjustment.

I didn't realize how new you are to this great outdoor sport, but over time I am sure you'll come to find it especially relaxing and rewarding. If you have any questions related to the vanquish 540 specifically, ask away on the Forums. A lot of good folks hang around here and are willing to help.

Since you're newer to the hobby, you might have some questions to offer up and perhaps some replies will be helpful.

Again, 'Best of Success!'

Monte

Actually I just got the 540 yesterday and will be testing it out here in a little bit, it took what seemed like forever to arrive. Waiting for my hunting partner to get off and will be testing it shortly on the beach. Well I did use it last night, but didn't dig anything up. It was bed time when it arrived, but yet I had to give it a few sweeps

I am excited for the vanquish and it seems to be the one to fill my needs as I foresee myself hunting many different types of soils. Not sure why I originally bought the f22 as the manual even said it is only good at dry sand on the beach. I guess the "best entry level MD guide" I read which swore by the F22 didn't expect myself to use on a wet beach. Which is one of the reasons I brought up newest, as I know the F22 has been out for several years now, and it failed my expectations, I must be able to wet sand detect. So many detector choices and misleading guides. Very unpleasant.

Thank you everyone and monte

Back
Top Bottom