• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

At Pro At Max coil interchangeablity

StratTone

Elite Member
Does anyone have experience with changing coils from a Pro to a Max? I know the Garrett coils are interchangeable but my question is about after market coils. Specifically the Nel Storm. I picked up a Max from a guy brand new the other day for $450 and while I have been frustrated I have figured out that some of it has to do with the Nel coil from my Pro.

When you put the Nel on the Max the tones get boosted so loud that the low tones go from sounding like grunts to farts or the likes of a vuvuzela. If you back the volume down on the control box they tame back down which is fine but even then something is off about it. I tried it on my test garden and noticed that it doesn't have as quick as a response to signal response between metals. So if you are swinging to fast it will completely miss the high tone. I'm not talking real fast either. One thing I have noticed with the Max (mine anyway) is that I have to swing much much slower to get the deep signals compared to the pro. When I switch back to the stock coil on the Max I still have to swing slower than the Pro to catch the high tones but I get it without having to creep like a snail.

Has anyone had any experiences like this? Also any tips from people coming from the Pro to the Max would be great too. :D

All I know is that NEL sells the coils based on the model...even between the AT series. So, I can only assume they are not interchangeable.

All I know is that NEL sells the coils based on the model...even between the AT series. So, I can only assume they are not interchangeable.

This is my thought process as well but then you throw in that you can change the Garrett coils between the models. Leaves you scratching your head. lol

Kinda bummed because I can't justify buying another Storm coil just for the Max. I will say however that the stock coil Max goes deeper in the test garden than the Pro with the Storm.

I would consider comparing your detector with someone else's MAX. Maybe your detector needs to be returned by Garrett?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coils

I purchased a Storm Coil for my ATMAX. When it arrived, I opened the box, and it said right on the coil "for ATMAX only".
You cannot interechange coils between the ATPro and MTMax.
HHeveryone

PS go KELLYCO METAL DETECTORS and look for the coils. It will tell you, "for AT Max. I would not interchange.

This is my thought process as well but then you throw in that you can change the Garrett coils between the models. Leaves you scratching your head. lol

Kinda bummed because I can't justify buying another Storm coil just for the Max. I will say however that the stock coil Max goes deeper in the test garden than the Pro with the Storm.

How much deeper? Thinking of the Max as primary and the existing Pro as a backup, thanks!

I'd have to look at my numbers I have written down but I can say that my Max with the stock coil hits deeper than the pro with storm coil. If I had to guess it was a couple inches.

Back
Top Bottom