My thoughts on the Nokta|Makro Simplex+ after 50 hours.

Excellent write up, I agree with just about all of it. One thing i might add is it struggles with crown caps and some larger iron. I've had small pieces of rusted soda cans register as a solid 90's signal multiple times. Some bottlecaps can ring up similar as well. There is methods to help identify them, but I find myself grabbing a different detector most times due to this fact. My hunting time is usually limited, and I like to use that time digging the most quality signals in the amount of time allotted. It is impressively deep, and when you get a deep high tone, it seems most times it's a keeper target, and not deep ferrous objects. I also can't wait for a coil selection. Thanks for posting!

Excellent write up, I agree with just about all of it. One thing i might add is it struggles with crown caps and some larger iron. I've had small pieces of rusted soda cans register as a solid 90's signal multiple times. Some bottlecaps can ring up similar as well. There is methods to help identify them, but I find myself grabbing a different detector most times due to this fact. My hunting time is usually limited, and I like to use that time digging the most quality signals in the amount of time allotted. It is impressively deep, and when you get a deep high tone, it seems most times it's a keeper target, and not deep ferrous objects. I also can't wait for a coil selection. Thanks for posting!

Thank you cellr. :cheers:

Nokta|Makro just released software update v2.76 which addresses a lot of the complaints I posted about in my initial review. The one I'm most happy about is the fix for the menu timeout issue. Also looking forward to trying the new "Park 1" mode which is supposed to be deeper. ID depth was also increased. These guys actually listen to their customers. Great job by Nokta!

I edited the original post to make notes of the new updates.

https://www.noktadetectors.com/metal-detector/simplex-metal-detector/

Download link:
https://www.noktadetectors.com/wp-content/file-download/simplex/enc-simplex-system-2v76.zip

From Nokta website:
Updates Made :
1. Sensitivity Level 7 has been added to provide extra depth.
Please keep in mind that the device may run noisier at this level depending on conditions and that this is totally normal.

2. An extra mode has been added - Park 1.
The Park mode on the previous versions has been named as Park 2 on this update and a new Park 1 mode has been added.
Park 1 is relatively deeper but a bit slower than Park 2 mode.
In this mode, the device produces a low tone for ferrous targets with 0-15 IDs, a medium tone for gold and non-ferrous metals with IDs 16-69 and a high tone for non-ferrous metals with IDs 70-99 such as silver, brass and copper.

3. Changes have been made for the All Metal Mode changes:
* It has been removed from the first spot in the options and moved to the end.
* Threshold setting has been added to this mode.
In the All Metal mode, the threshold setting for each sensitivity level is optimized to provide the best performance on different terrains.
You can adjust the threshold setting between -50 +50 based on ground conditions.

4. Mineralization bar has been added to the screen.

5. Timeout lengths have been increased.

6. BACK function (up arrow) has been added to exit from settings to go back to the main screen without waiting for the timeout.

7. ID depth has been increased.

8. 4 levels have been added to Automatic Brightness shown as A1-A2-A3-A4 on screen.

9.Audio for the pinpoint mode and wired headphones has been optimized.

10. Manual Ground Balance function has been expanded:
If the device receives a lot of noise and/or emits false signals and you cannot eliminate it by reducing the sensitivity, first set your sensitivity back to its original level. Then increase the ground balance value between 90.1 - 91.0 one by one until the noise is eliminated. As the ground balance value is increased, the device's sensitivity to high conductive (silver, copper etc.) coins will decrease.

Are you gonna update Rattlehead? Im curious about the new park mode, wondering if the audio is stronger on deeper targets
Yep already updated mine. I haven't had a chance to test the new Park mode yet but I can confirm the menu timeout issue is fixed! Looking forward to trying out the new mode this weekend.

A little update to this review.. Now that warmer weather has moved in, I've noticed that when the detector sits in the sun for a while the lower shaft tends to become a bit wobbly or flexible. My hunting buddy Jeff noticed that the more rigid lower shaft from the XP Deus fits inside the upper shaft from the Simplex but I haven't had a chance to verify if the coil ears line up. Might be an upgrade option worth looking into depending on price. I think Jeff found a Deus lower shaft for about $35?

Last edited:
Thank you for taking the time to write this all up (even the updates). I keep coming back to this machine. It would be a huge upgrade for me over the Bounty Hunter I am currently using. I don’t have a ton of time to devote to detecting at this point and this machine seems like it would be a great next step for me from my Bounty Hunter. I do have a question. Can you charge both the detector and the headphones in the field from a USB power bank if needed?

Thank you for taking the time to write this all up (even the updates). I keep coming back to this machine. It would be a huge upgrade for me over the Bounty Hunter I am currently using. I don’t have a ton of time to devote to detecting at this point and this machine seems like it would be a great next step for me from my Bounty Hunter. I do have a question. Can you charge both the detector and the headphones in the field from a USB power bank if needed?

Thanks Diabolik! I don't have the wireless headphones so I can't say for sure, but I would think you can charge both from a power bank.

Has anyone determined if you can use non-Nokta/Makro wireless headphones? I can only find the non-wireless Simplex in stock anywhere but I really want the wireless headphones. Or does anyone know of an adapter that would allow use of the Garrett Z-Lynk wireless module and headphones?

Has anyone determined if you can use non-Nokta/Makro wireless headphones? I can only find the non-wireless Simplex in stock anywhere but I really want the wireless headphones. Or does anyone know of an adapter that would allow use of the Garrett Z-Lynk wireless module and headphones?

Big Boys Hobbies shows them in stock and Quality Metal Detectors recently posted that they have them in stock too. ;)

Contacted Big Boys Hobbies already and they do not actually have the wireless in stock. Didn't check with QMD but I did find a dealer that does have them in stock that's in the next state over so hoping to have it by next weekend. And I did find out that Z-Lynk DOES work with the Simplex using the micro to 1/4" adapter so that's good to know at least.

Contacted Big Boys Hobbies already and they do not actually have the wireless in stock. Didn't check with QMD but I did find a dealer that does have them in stock that's in the next state over so hoping to have it by next weekend. And I did find out that Z-Lynk DOES work with the Simplex using the micro to 1/4" adapter so that's good to know at least.

Thinking I might pull the trigger on one this week too. Definitely would like the wireless kit as well.

I know this is an older thread but thank you for the detailed information. It is posts like this that have led me to make an informed decision to purchase this device.

Back
Top Bottom