Which out of three detectors?

Metalcodetect

To give a short background of where I like to hunt is 70% beach and 30% on land for coin and relic hunting. I wish I can get a Minelab 800 but maybe in the future. I have done lots of research for the frequencies of these machines and what does the best on wet sand and salty water. So far Vanquish Multi IQ is pretty good on staying quite on the beach with pretty good depth, BUT it’s not waterproof which is okay…. I am just stuck on which is better for overall beach and land.

My budget is $200-400
I have narrowed down between these three option. Any other option would be nice too.

After taxes price
Vanquish 540 - $410
Quest Q30 - $410 waterproof
Makro Simple+ - $310 Waterproof

For a couple dollars more .. You will kick yourself in the butt later for not spending the extra ...

Vanquish 540 - $410 ... Get the Pro Package 2 coils wireless headphones
Quest Q30 - $410 waterproof .. Have not heard much about it
Makro Simple+ - $310 Waterproof .. Get the 2 coil bundle with Wireless headphone
Minelab Equinox 600 ..Sponsors have a good deal on them

If your mainly on the beach forget the simplex and quest i would narrow it down to vanquish or apex i prefer the apex on the beach maybe the vanquish on dirt

To give a short background of where I like to hunt is 70% beach and 30% on land for coin and relic hunting. I wish I can get a Minelab 800 but maybe in the future. I have done lots of research for the frequencies of these machines and what does the best on wet sand and salty water. So far Vanquish Multi IQ is pretty good on staying quite on the beach with pretty good depth, BUT it’s not waterproof which is okay…. I am just stuck on which is better for overall beach and land
My budget is $200-400
I have narrowed down between these three option. Any other option would be nice too.
After taxes price
Vanquish 540 - $410

For a Salt Beach, none of your choices are suitable, MHO. I would get a used Equinox 600 with warranty left.

For a Salt Beach, none of your choices are suitable, MHO. I would get a used Equinox 600 with warranty left.

Thank you everyone for replying!

Yes the 600 is on my top list that I want, I guess everyone is right I will just save up for a better one such as the 600 which I believe is waterproof🤙🤙

Thank you everyone for replying!

Yes the 600 is on my top list that I want, I guess everyone is right I will just save up for a better one such as the 600 which I believe is waterproof🤙🤙

Phone all the vendors on the forum's sponsor list to check availability and prices. One of them will probably make you a great deal on a detector that will fit your needs. I would stretch the budget and go for a 600 or the 540 with the wireless headphones. Mrs. atomicbrh's 340 has been outstanding both on the beach and in the dirt. It swings way above the $200 price point.

Garrett APEX, Vanquish 440 or 540, Equinox 600. No need to buy the Equinox 800.

These will work well on fresh water sand and dry salt beach sand and wet salt beach sand.

The Equinox 600 being waterproof has proven to be a stretch. Minelab definitely misled many buyers by not publicly listing an industry recognized IP rating for the Equinox while clearly stating in their manual that it will work for wading and shallow diving in both fresh and salt water.........Buyer Beware. There have been plenty of reports of flooded Equinox detectors along with 11" coil ears breaking in mild to moderate surf or when loaded with sand. I use the 11" coil for very gentle water wading with no problems so far. If I choose to detect in shallow saltwater surf or faster moving freshwater, I use the smaller 6" coil.

The Nox comes with an excellent 3 year warranty so any flooding or breakage damage will be replaced but that may or may not prevent it from happening again since both the control pod and the coil ears can fail and there have not been any Minelab improvements to those components to prevent further damage in the future.

Garrett APEX, Vanquish 440 or 540, Equinox 600. No need to buy the Equinox 800.

These will work well on fresh water sand and dry salt beach sand and wet salt beach sand.

The Equinox 600 being waterproof has proven to be a stretch. Minelab definitely misled many buyers by not publicly listing an industry recognized IP rating for the Equinox while clearly stating in their manual that it will work for wading and shallow diving in both fresh and salt water.........Buyer Beware. There have been plenty of reports of flooded Equinox detectors along with 11" coil ears breaking in mild to moderate surf or when loaded with sand. I use the 11" coil for very gentle water wading with no problems so far. If I choose to detect in shallow saltwater surf or faster moving freshwater, I use the smaller 6" coil.

The Nox comes with an excellent 3 year warranty so any flooding or breakage damage will be replaced but that may or may not prevent it from happening again since both the control pod and the coil ears can fail and there have not been any Minelab improvements to those components to prevent further damage in the future.

Thank you for such a detailed reply,

VERY good to know about the 600 getting flooded, I will definitely watch out for that if I get this one. I know some people who put cocking material on the lining of their detectors to make it more waterproof but not sure if that ruins the warranty. If I cannot wait my choice will be vanquish 540. I will save for next year to buy the 600 for summer to go into the waters

Thank you for such a detailed reply,

VERY good to know about the 600 getting flooded, I will definitely watch out for that if I get this one. I know some people who put cocking material on the lining of their detectors to make it more waterproof but not sure if that ruins the warranty. If I cannot wait my choice will be vanquish 540. I will save for next year to buy the 600 for summer to go into the waters

I think you made the right decision.

If you're ok with used machines, I expect a flood (snort) of Equinox 600s and 800s to hit the used detector market over the next year or so. This is because of the release of the Deus II (which will probably be comparable, if not better performing than the Equinox) and the N/M Legend (which may or may not be comparable to the Equinox in terms of SMF performance).

To give a short background of where I like to hunt is 70% beach and 30% on land for coin and relic hunting. I wish I can get a Minelab 800 but maybe in the future. I have done lots of research for the frequencies of these machines and what does the best on wet sand and salty water. So far Vanquish Multi IQ is pretty good on staying quite on the beach with pretty good depth, BUT it’s not waterproof which is okay…. I am just stuck on which is better for overall beach and land.

My budget is $200-400

After taxes price
Vanquish 540 - $410
A 540 was just listed in the "For Sale" at a good price.
It does not include wireless headphones but it has rechargeable batteries and charger.

While I agree that the Equinox 600 is better, the Vanquish works great at Saltwater beaches due to it's SMF technology. I own an Equinox 800 and a Vanquish 540 and they both are great at saltwater beaches.

I think you made the right decision.

If you're ok with used machines, I expect a flood (snort) of Equinox 600s and 800s to hit the used detector market over the next year or so. This is because of the release of the Deus II (which will probably be comparable, if not better performing than the Equinox) and the N/M Legend (which may or may not be comparable to the Equinox in terms of SMF performance).

I will look into the Deus II, I am just so attached to minelab since they have this Multi IQ that everyone speaks of which grabs my attention. But Deus I heard MANY good things about this brand being the legend of relic and coin hunting especially in high iron field. I will add Deus and the 800 on my future list

Out of the three detectors you mention I would purchase the Minelab Vanquish 540 pro pack. You won't be disappointed. It's a deep seeking detector with great tones and readings at all depths

I will look into the Deus II, I am just so attached to minelab since they have this Multi IQ that everyone speaks of which grabs my attention. But Deus I heard MANY good things about this brand being the legend of relic and coin hunting especially in high iron field. I will add Deus and the 800 on my future list

Better add plenty of money in the pocket book also!:D----Those two detectors are pretty expensive (especially the Deus 2)

In your budget I would suggest they get it Apex. I bought one for $400 and the other two for $425. They all came with Garrett's MS-3 Wireless Headphones.
Of the Minelab Vanquish 540 Pro Packs and they were OK except for some glitches. You can work around it, but we shouldn't have to.

The Apex has been working very well for me.

Monte

Can't go wrong with the Vanquish 540. I just got one for Christmas and love it.
I am eagerly waiting on the N/M Legend to hit. Can't wait to hear the reviews on its performance.

Back
Top Bottom