Deus 2 might just be the new bomb

It sure doesn't get along with the nox hunting near it.
Calibash last video proved that.

Well I will go out on a limb and say the new Deus will not be the answer to your EMI problem. With a wireless coil transmitting it might even be worse. Of course I don't really know since I have never held one. Unless the Deus II has some type of new noise cancel feature that trumps the noise cancel feature of the Minerlab units that have it then I just don't see a major improvement. I have heard hints that Minelab is taking a serious approach to EMI. We will see.

Randy, there is a lot of truth in your post.
I hope you are one of those people who posts about your experiences with the
Deus 2. I have had my Nox 800 for about two months and was not bonding with it until I realized it had quite a few quirks that could reduce its performance. One quirk is iron that is discriminated out (not heard and no vdi) still affects recovery speed and may not allow you to hear a good target near the iron. If your recovery speed is set low the 800 user could miss some good targets in trashy areas and not even know it. Also I am not sure but I feel like there is some automatic processing going on in the 800 that cannot be controlled by the operator similar to the Vanquish series.

I would hunt in Park2 unless the spot your hunting is pretty low trash. For a clean yard with really deep targets Park1. Park2 is my best all around producer. It can go almost as deep on silver as Park1.

Run Iron Bias F2-0 with the horseshoe engaged at all times. Recovery speed trash dependent either 4 at lowest and I never go faster than 6. I'll just go to a smaller coil if I need more separation. If modern trash so bad you don't think you will here any deep targets turn sensitivity down to 15. Park2 is hot as it is no use lighting up so much surface trash if you can't see deep targets anyway. If modern trash not that bad run 20 sensitivity or higher. Circle every target. In Park2 if it's falsing iron you will know as soon as you turn 90 degrees on target. With the horseshoe engaged as soon as you turn on the target you will get the iron tone. I can't tell you the last time I was fooled by iron. Last but not least get a good ground balance at each site you hunt. If you change programs re-noise cancel and reground balance. It can make a big difference depending on how mineralized your soil is.

I would hunt in Park2 unless the spot your hunting is pretty low trash. For a clean yard with really deep targets Park1. Park2 is my best all around producer. It can go almost as deep on silver as Park1.

Run Iron Bias F2-0 with the horseshoe engaged at all times. Recovery speed trash dependent either 4 at lowest and I never go faster than 6. I'll just go to a smaller coil if I need more separation. If modern trash so bad you don't think you will here any deep targets turn sensitivity down to 15. Park2 is hot as it is no use lighting up so much surface trash if you can't see deep targets anyway. If modern trash not that bad run 20 sensitivity or higher. Circle every target. In Park2 if it's falsing iron you will know as soon as you turn 90 degrees on target. With the horseshoe engaged as soon as you turn on the target you will get the iron tone. I can't tell you the last time I was fooled by iron. Last but not least get a good ground balance at each site you hunt. If you change programs re-noise cancel and reground balance. It can make a big difference depending on how mineralized your soil is.
Thanks. Usually use Park 1. Will try Park 2.

As a new guy completely new to this hobby, I thought I would add my “new guy” thoughts to the discussion. I have been lurking for just over a year, reading and trying to learn. About 1.5 months ago, I got myself a few Tesoro’s. Now, I realized that Tesoro was no longer in business, but after reading many many posts about them, I realized that the Tesoro type MD appealed to me. I’m lucky that my house on 3 acres was built in 1907 so Ive spent the entirety of my hunts in my back yard trying to learn the Tesoro’s and having fun.
I spend a lot of time reading excellent, very informative posts or watching videos from many of you….Tnsharpshooter, Monte, Woodbutcher, Calabash, Longbow62 and many others. I say all this because, some times you all may not agree with the views of another person or may prefer one brand over the other, but in the end all of you present useful and valuable information to us “new guys” that really have no idea what your talking about most of the time. We learn, and over time we eventually figure this stuff out but everyone’s individual opinion is what quickens that pace up and lessens the learning curve.
Having said all that, I am now interested in adding a more advanced MD to my group. This discussion of the Deus 2 is of interest to me because that is one of the MD’s that I’m considering, along with the Nox and the Legend. The information all of you are currently providing as well as going to provide once these get shipped and in the hands of end users will help determine which of these three units I purchase.
Realistically, due to work I can see myself getting around 200-300 hours per year, that’s nothing compared to many of you. I mostly look for coins and Im not going to be driving to a salt water beach to hunt, unless I just happen to find myself around one. But in SE Ohio, I do have a lot of old farmland as well as old homesteads and parks etc. I also have a lake right below my house with a small beach I can see myself trying but I certainly have no intention of diving or even going deeper than maybe my shins.
This next purchase will probably be it for me unless something in the future really just leaps out at me and I cant resist myself. For me the fun is spending time outside with my buddy or girlfriend (when I can talk her into it) looking for coins and finding interesting bits of history on my property.
Anyway, I don't want to make this a long post but I wanted to thank all of you that have made these forums what they are and to remind you that no matter the differences of opinion, you all represent the teachers of these forums. Us new guys pay attention to what all of you say and not only learn from it but also use that information as a tool to determine what we buy and how much money we spend in the hobby.
So, keep up the work guys and once all three of these units are in the hands of the end users….how about one/some of you just bring all three to SE Ohio and use them in my back yard so I can figure out which one I want/need.

Last edited:
Heard some promising performance today from a deus 2 operator. Hunting on land. Previously pounded site with Deus 1 Hf coils.

You might see a video showing some of the hunt soon.

I may have a line on Deus 2 unit. We’ll see. Will definitely share info if I get.

I do not understand this whole phenomena with adults who are so anxious and excited to have a new model detector and the belief that the next new detector is going to revolutionize metal detecting. It reminds me of racing advertisements:
Buy our super duper oil and cut 0.2 seconds off your lap time.
Buy our super duper carburetor and cut 0.3 seconds off your lap time.
Buy our super duper clutch and cut 0.5 seconds off your lap time.
Buy our super duper tires and cut 0.4 seconds off your lap time.
By the time you buy all the super duper stuff you could win the race and not even unload your car off the trailer.
Detectors are the same way.
Soon you will just ride down the highway with your coil hanging out of the car window to find good targets.

Simply not enough unbiased and non gifted-by-free-D2 machines yet for me to be excited. These machines won't even hit our shores for a while. Some may get lucky and get delivery but mainly, the average Joe won't.

Side by side, signal to signals. Jm2c

I do not understand this whole phenomena with adults who are so anxious and excited to have a new model detector

Cause we're all still kids at heart. It's like we're all hoping for that rush when we first pushed the button..on the NOS shifter.

Only a few will get this one..:neo:

Cause we're all still kids at heart. It's like we're all hoping for that rush when we first pushed the button..on the NOS shifter.

Only a few will get this one..:neo:
Especially when Santa says we are going to get a detector for Xmas. Only to figure out Santa is a liar.😂

Heard some promising performance today from a deus 2 operator. Hunting on land. Previously pounded site with Deus 1 Hf coils.

You might see a video showing some of the hunt soon.

I may have a line on Deus 2 unit. We’ll see. Will definitely share info if I get.

Totally my personal opinion, but If he was really testing he would have had his Equinox out there too swinging over all those found targets before digging them. Showing I.D.'s etc.. He always say's he's unbiased. If Deus II was that great all he had to do was swing the Equinox over them and show it wouldn't hit them. If it was pounded with Deus I it would have blown minds if the Equinox would not hit them either. He didn't do it though.

Totally my personal opinion, but If he was really testing he would have had his Equinox out there too swinging over all those found targets before digging them. Showing I.D.'s etc.. He always say's he's unbiased. If Deus II was that great all he had to do was swing the Equinox over them and show it wouldn't hit them. If it was pounded with Deus I it would have blown minds if the Equinox would not hit them either. He didn't do it though.

A lot of us are thinking the same thing.
Also, all detectors swung over the same wild target should wear similar coils and be optimized to detect the target. It is human nature to want to adjust settings on a new machine more than a old machine with the resulting outcome that the old machine will not be optimized to its full potential.

Guess I don’t follow you here.
Site was previously busted quite a few times by couple gents.
They take Deus 2 in and make some finds.
And I said in above post what I did. Promising is the word used. I wouldn’t have used that word if no finds or very few nonferrous finds would have been located and dug.
Calabash and his bud were detecting (hunting).
Just because they didn’t Do comparisons to Nox doesn’t make him biased.

Tell you what.
You will see a lot of head to heads between Nox and Deus 2. Soon by me.
Coil sizes may be different.
Oh well.
I’ll show anyways.

Guess I don’t follow you here.
Site was previously busted quite a few times by couple gents.
They take Deus 2 in and make some finds.
And I said in above post what I did. Promising is the word used. I wouldn’t have used that word if no finds or very few nonferrous finds would have been located and dug.
Calabash and his bud were detecting (hunting).
Just because they didn’t Do comparisons to Nox doesn’t make him biased.

Tell you what.
You will see a lot of head to heads between Nox and Deus 2. Soon by me.
Coil sizes may be different.
Oh well.
I’ll show anyways.

All I'm saying is it would have been very easy to do head to head on those in the wild targets, but he didn't. He talked up the Deus II said it was a pounded site, yet didn't do not one head to head against the Equinox. If the Equinox would have failed to hit even half those in the wild targets he would have had a very compelling argument that the Deus II is the superior detector.

I hope you do some wild target head to head test. I would appreciate it, and know others would too.

All I'm saying is it would have been very easy to do head to head on those in the wild targets, but he didn't. He talked up the Deus II said it was a pounded site, yet didn't do not one head to head against the Equinox. If the Equinox would have failed to hit even half those in the wild targets he would have had a very compelling argument that the Deus II is the superior detector.

I hope you do some wild target head to head test. I would appreciate it, and know others would too.

I’ll be doing head to heads.
Don’t know what size coil I am getting yet.
Wanted a 9”.
Will settle for 11”.
Can always buy the other later.

I always try to be objective. Why? The test benefit me too.

Brilliant video on pasture here, some nice deep targets!
https://youtu.be/MtTYJOodz9Q

That video was fun to watch. He's hitting that one coin around 17" in relic mode. That's crazy! Watched one of Gary's videos and he recommended using relic mode if your hunting in stubble or high grass. You can have the coil 10-12" above the ground and still get good depth.

Back
Top Bottom