XP-ORX Detectors...???

QUOTE Pete E.

The XP-ORX seems to give one a chance for some gold-finds, as well. Not sure I see that with the 540's from their web site and videos.

I have been watching a series of videos on the XP-ORX in their Skills-School series and I like the ORX more and more...even if it takes a steeper learning curve and I might have "to work" the detector more.[/QUOTE]

I like the ORX a lot for gold prospecting if that is the "gold" you were referring too. The Vanquish 540 is actually fairly sensitive to small gold nuggets also, but its lack of manual ground balance for high mineralization and tendency to mask adjacent targets due to its only average target separation would make it hard to prospect in most places. I can say from experience however, that the Vanquish will hit very hard on gold jewelry, nickels, lead, brass, and the rest of the clad/silver range of targets if they are not literally on top of each other in a spill.

So, if you plan to do some gold prospecting, relic hunting or hit tot lots and parks without a lot of modern trash, the ORX would be a great option.

However, in thick aluminum trash.......it is not much fun since there is no notching on the ORX and the 3 tone audio has a wide mid tone range from roughly 20 to 75 on the target ID scale with plenty of overlapping targets like nickels, some pull tabs and some gold rings which share the same IDs. The way XP did the audio for the two "Coin" modes, they used the audio response feature found on the Deus 1 but with a fixed setting of 4 and it makes most coin sized/pull tab sized targets sound really loud with very little audio modulation, variation or nuance like one finds on the original Deus 1. There are some of the Deus PWM audio harmonics around the edges of the tones but they are not different enough to be very helpful like they are on Deus 1. So to some peoples ears, the three tone audio sounds fairly brash, harsh and not very pleasant. Others really like it.

You still have to remember gold targets show up and give the same audio and VDI as foil, pull tabs, can slaw, etc. You will have to dig lots of lower conductive targets to get gold. Also gold might come up in the nickel zone 62-63 on ORX. I dig lots of nickels. But zero gold in the 1.5 years I have been using the ORX. Just a little more info for you . The more info you compile the better off you will be. Glad to answer any questions for you ….. Tony

I went with the ORX because I felt it suited my needs better. I live in the Western States, so gold nugget hunting is part of the game. When traveling I can take one VLF. The ORX goes high enough in frequencies to find the small, and low enough for coins. It is far less complicated than the Deus.
I do have multi frequency machines, (White's V3i and Minelab Explorer SE). In practical use I have not seen a big advantage in them. No matter how expensive the machine, It can not tell the difference between gold, lead, and aluminum. They are also often wrong about what is steel.

Pete - if you feel the ORX is the detector for you go for it. Lots of good advice here but if you think its the best option for your detecting needs you won't be disappointed. XP makes fine detectors and there are a lot of great choices out there, the ORX is definitely one of them. Good luck!

On the MI-6, mode 7 is the detector paired mode, with 1-6 all being stand alone modes: low, medium, high sensitivity, and whether you want the sound on or off. When in mode 7 and paired with a DEUS (II) or ORX, sound is through the detector and there are 50 sensitivity levels, per the user manual.

I've only had mine for a couple of weeks, I don't currently have an XP detector (on order), and its winter. That said, I've played around with it a bit and it seems to work well. I also have a Fisher F-Pulse to compare it to and the F-Pules seems more sensitive, but I've only used the default program, #2 medium sensitivity, for testing. The problem I've encountered with the F-Pulse is it can be very glitchy to the point of being unusable. Then next outing it's working. So just wanted to try something different that wasn't a carrot, and since I plan in trying out the DEUS II, why not?

JP

Thank you, Johnnie. Good info. on the MI-6. I think it is worth the extra $ 40 or so over the MI-4...as I think the MI-6 has that "I lost my PP feature".

I look at it as future-proofing. If you are in need of a pinpointed and may end up with an XP detector, it seems like the direction to go.

Here's what the MI-6 manual says:

"MI-6 specifications and advantages when paired with the XP detectors: Audio signal transmitted to the detector (XP patent) / Anti-interference system (XP patent): The detector is automatically switched OFF when the MI-6 is in use and then wakes up when the Mi-6 is turned OFF - When the Pinpointer is switched ON a dedicated remote control menu is activated allowing further adjustments : / 50 levels of sensitivity / Sound mode selection - Pitch or Pulse / Audio Tone adjustment. Other Deus features include a Target zoom screen / MI- 6 on screen Battery level display / Long battery life of up to 90 hours / Remote recovery mode (even when the lost MI-6 is switched OFF)

Hey Pete, there is no adjustment front to back on the armrest . I to needed something lighter. ( neck fusion surgery) . I have the 9” round HF coil. Very precise and great depth easily to 8-10 inches if needed. The coil does not wobble at all. Excellent build quality. Easy to use . 3 tone with expanded VDI 0-99 …….. what detector are you using now??? Tony

I could be mistaken.
I think ORX rod same as Deus.
Which means there is some small armcuff adjustment available. Look for screw in bottom of cuff. Remove and reposition cuff. Think there are 3 holes one can select for cuff position. Seems ORX Manual doesn’t point this out. I looked. Unless I missed.

The above info i posted is incorrect.
ORX detector comes with rod that is designed on upper part near cuff area different than XP Deus (which does allow for slight arm cuff adjustment) where as ORX upper rod and cuff are one unit fixed. So no arm cuff adjustability allowed with arm cuff with ORX rod.

Last edited:
I found this lengthy discussion about the XP ORX versus XP Deus 1 )and other brands/models) on this other MD forum.

https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/12725-xp-deus-versus-xp-orx/page/4/#comments

It is a couple of years old, but went on for 4 pages of comments...which helped me understand more + and -.

I am still leaning towards the XP ORX but will sit a month or so to see if pricing changes when the XP Deus 2 and the Nokta Legend start appears in folks hands and on the local shelves.

Our weather is not so great for MD so I have the luxury of time.

Thanks to all who took the time to reply and share your thoughts to guide me this far.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom