Flat button found at civil war camp site

Barneymartin3

Found this flat button today at a known confederate Civil War site along with some bullets. Unfortunately it has no markings but it cleaned up nicely using soap and water. I was amazed how silvery it was and it rang up in the nickel zone. It is approx. the diameter of a quarter, silver color, and is NOT attracted to a magnet. Any idea what it is made of? I'm assuming it was a coat button. I have attached a picture of it before and after cleaning.

Attachments

• Flat button.jpg
    Flat button.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 406
It is made of material called Tombac. Usually from a coat. They date pre 1800.

Found this flat button today at a known confederate Civil War site along with some bullets. Unfortunately it has no markings but it cleaned up nicely using soap and water. I was amazed how silvery it was and it rang up in the nickel zone. It is approx. the diameter of a quarter, silver color, and is NOT attracted to a magnet. Any idea what it is made of? I'm assuming it was a coat button. I have attached a picture of it before and after cleaning.

Love it! Beautiful button!

I was going to suggest Tombac...Apart from breakages, basic Tombac buttons seem to survive very well, often will very little corrosion...

Back
Top Bottom