Yet ANOTHER pin pointer

goldendreams

Elite Member
I've been through quite a few pin pointers , and I am EXTREMELY careful and very easy on them..
Why does it seem that pin pointers just don't last more than a couple yrs?
Is there any brands that hold up better than garrett? I'm just not impressed with the longevity! I would think in this day and age that a pin pointer is relatively "low tech" and would think they could make one to last ...
It always seems to start with "air beeping" and my main pp is starting to do that..

Anyone have good luck with other brands? I'm sick of paying over 100 bucks for something I doubt cost garrett more than 25 bucks to make when they just end up crapping out ...
How are the f points etc.?

I have a Fisher F-Pulse and have been using it for some months now and I like it. No issues.

I also have the Garrett Carrot and used that for about a year and it held up just fine.

Been abusing my carrot for about 3 years, and it's still going strong! I even have a brand new carrot on standby. I have yet to find a PP I like better than my carrot (wow that sounds REALLY bad :laughing:) never used an F-pulse, but have used the minelab pinpointers, and I didnt like them at all. Luckily Garrett has some of the best customer service, and the repair costs are pretty competitive, even for out of warranty equipment.

I no longer use my carrot.

I have 2 Fisher F-Pulse pointers. They are very programmable, more rugged than the carrot, and they are PI rather than VLF and they don't interfere with my detector.

I have owned 2 black Garrets pointers, and the Carrot Pro Pointer. Every one of my Garretts lost 1/2" to 3/4" over a year or two of heavy use each. I sold those after getting the F-Pulse. The F-Pulse gets nearly 3.5 inches on dimes and a bit over 5 inches on nickels. It hasn't dropped even a quarter inch. The Carrot held range better and longer than the black ones. I really had no complaints but the Pulse just beat it. I'm happy other don't see a depth loss with their Carrots. A nice pointer all around.

Last edited:
I no longer use my carrot.

I have 2 Fisher F-Pulse pointers. They are very programmable, more rugged than the carrot, and they are PI rather than VLF and they don't interfere with my detector.

My F-Pulse often interferes with my Equinox 600, but I don't care for 2 reasons.

One, the F-Pulse is only on when I'm searching a hole or plug, which means the Equinox 600 is just sitting on the ground.

Two, using the Equinox 600's noise cancel solves the issue if I can't stand the squabble coming from my Equinox 600 while using my F-Pulse.

My F-Pulse often interferes with my Equinox 600, but I don't care for 2 reasons.

One, the F-Pulse is only on when I'm searching a hole or plug, which means the Equinox 600 is just sitting on the ground.

Two, using the Equinox 600's noise cancel solves the issue if I can't stand the squabble coming from my Equinox 600 while using my F-Pulse.

The F-Pulse has something like 9 levels of frequency shift to fix that also.

The F-Pulse has something like 9 levels of frequency shift to fix that also.

You are correct. But I don't remember how to change the frequency and I don't feel like carrying around the instruction manual when I go hunting. :laughing:

Been abusing my carrot for about 3 years, and it's still going strong! I even have a brand new carrot on standby. I have yet to find a PP I like better than my carrot (wow that sounds REALLY bad :laughing:) never used an F-pulse, but have used the minelab pinpointers, and I didnt like them at all. Luckily Garrett has some of the best customer service, and the repair costs are pretty competitive, even for out of warranty equipment.

Dont get me wrong i have no complaints on the garretts as far as using them, i wish they would add the option of shutting off the vibrate , as im sure that little vibe motor kills the battery more than it being on with just sound.. if i want to lower the volume I just put a piece of tape over the speaker and it quiets is down..

Im thinking about the FPoint , if i get one and it only lasts 2 yrs and a couple months before it craps out , i figure thats what would happen with a new garrett anyway (in my experience anyway) .yes ive heard of people getting years out of a garrett ...but it seems i hear of more people who have to keep buying one every 2 and a half yrs if they do alot of diggin..
Thanks for the replies..

I also like the feature of turning off the light in the F-Pulse.

Yes , I think I've decided to try the tekpoint .. what do I have to lose if I get at least 2 yrs of use out it.. it wouldn't be any worse than my luck with garretts..
I just feel that I'm not gonna keep rewarding garrett with buying a product from them that hasn't been that long term reliable ..
Will I be back with them ..only time will tell

I still have the original Garret that i purchased in 2010 and it still works great i have beat the !!!! out of it in the ground I hunt

I have never figured out how people break their pin pointers I use mine in extremely rocky ground have never wore a hole in it or anything

My first f pulse was awesome but died after a year. Fisher replaced it and the 2nd one isn't quite as good but I still like enough to recommend it to both my brothers and everyone else. As Martin said, I too accidentally turn the light on and off. I only use it to see if the pp is on or off.

I love the Nokta pulsedive it’s the most durable pinpointer I’ve ever used and it doubles as a dive detector

My first f pulse was awesome but died after a year. Fisher replaced it and the 2nd one isn't quite as good but I still like enough to recommend it to both my brothers and everyone else. As Martin said, I too accidentally turn the light on and off. I only use it to see if the pp is on or off.

My first F-Pulse, right after it first hit the market, was the best pin pointer I ever owned! If anyone still has one of the really hot F-Pulse pointers, 4-5" depth, let me know. I'd be interested to know. TIA

I've had my F-Pulse for 2 years now and it has held up and performs great. Love it.

I can never remember how to frequency shift on the F-Pulse so I just turn on my F-Pulse before doing the noise cancel on the Equinox. No more interference.

I bought the XP MI-6 to compliment the Deus and use it wirelessly. It's been awesome and durable for the last few years and only needs charging once every two to three months even with very heavy use. I also bought a Pule Dive so my friend could enjoy a little digging under the benches and hedges when I go out, but haven't used it much, even though it appears to be a very rugged and handy pointer. It's a bit big and heavy, but seems pretty good to me, and the coil attachment for use as a dive detector is an added extra for water hunting to check iffy signals on the beach. The XP MI-4 is the little brother of the MI-6 - it costs less because it doesn't have the wireless connectivity or the 50 sensitivity levels accessible when controlled by the remote control, but is otherwise the same. I put a plastic pipe cap on the tip of the MI-6 and covered the rest of the probe with electrical tape to protect the plastic shell and it's been fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom