Minelab Vanquish 440 vs 540?

been away from the forum for a year or more

Been busy with my new (to me) pontoon boat. Coming back to this forum and TN I have noticed people are still excited about buying their Nox 600 or 800.

Are we reaching a point where the Nox dominates the numbers game in metal detecting use?

I had the V540 and the Simplex+. I preferred the numbers on the Simplex+, going up to 99 versus 40 on the V540.

Yes, the tones from the Simplex+ are annoying.

I think the machine can double as a goose call.

But for me numbers were more important than the tones and i kept the Simplex+.

Also because of the waterproofness.

I have used it about 30+ hours and it worked great until the battery died, I recharged and am using it again. I now have about 10 hours on the new charge and it is still saying it is fully charged( all bars). When it died, it was still registering all bars (fully charged).

Has anyone purchased the RNB Rechargeable Battery for their Vanquish? I have and it last a lot longer than other batteries. I have noticed though, that the battery indicator on my Vanquish never goes down, it always indicate full charge with the RNB battery installed. It indicated normal with regular or energizer rechargeable batteries. It is just the RNB Rechargeable battery pack that doesn't indicate correctly.

Alkaline and rechargeable NiMH batteries have a gradual decline in voltage as they are drained during operation. The Vanquish battery level indicator tracks this drain by measuring the battery's voltage or current level.

The RnB battery pack uses Lithium-Ion cells which have a voltage/current control circuit that maintains optimum level during operation until minimum drain level voltage is reached, then it shuts the battery pack off. This protects the cells from draining too low to prevent damage to the battery pack and the detector.

The advantage is the Li-Ion pack provides much longer runtime with maximum stable voltage and current.

The drawback is that it also "fools" the Vanquish Battery Level indicator to seeing the batteries as fully charged until the instant the battery pack reaches below minimum operational voltage level and shuts off.

Same with me on my 800 and the simplex. could not get used to the tones and the VDI numbers. Too different from the 800. Vanquish is the way to go. 440 or 540. Not dissing the simplex, I am just too used to the 800 and don't want to learn new tones and vdi numbers.

This is the reason I just picked up a 540 pro pack. I usually swing the 800 (sometimes the CTX) and my buddy tag along machine was the simplex. Problem was I never use the simplex so when buddy asked me a question I was clueless. The 540 is very similar to the 800 so now I'll be able to help with settings and id when a buddy tags along

I know this is an old post, but I just purchased the 540 Pro-pack myself. I went back and forth between the Simplex+ and Vanquish 540 and settled with the 540 PP because I wanted to move into multi-frequency. I have always been a fan of smaller coils for most of my hunting scenarios, such as trashy parks. With the 8” coil being included in the Pro-pack it seemed a no brainer. Now I want to get my hands on a 10” coil so I can have all 3. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom