1800 half Reale

Tom_in_CA

Elite Member
1800 half reale. Wish I could say it's mine, but the honor belongs to my friend Dave from Southern CA. He has developed a love of touching the utmost earliest history you can touch here in CA. Forget the gold rush, and go straight to the Spanish/Mexican period. Who wants to be bothered with pesky "mere seateds", eh ? 😉

But seriously now : He'd been asking me about some of my old stomping grounds in my part of the state. Picking my brain, till finally we devised a trek. I warned him that this particular spot has been picked to death. Over the years I personally have pulled nearly 3 dozen reales from this site alone . And friends have pulled multiple others. I personally have 75 to 100 Phoenix buttons from this site, and friends have others. In recent years, we struggle to add any more period targets .

On this "last hurrah" effort, we each struggled to get 10 or 12 pieces of green copper each. Over many hours of effort. He got 3 buttons (a gilt and 2 plain) and I got only a single button (a plain). He got this 1800 half reale.

Congratz Dave !

The first pix is his 3 buttons and his reale. The 2nd pix of green copper is our combined pile (with my lone button on the bottom right).

Attachments

• Dave, June 2022.jpg
    Dave, June 2022.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 212
  • Dave & Tom green stuff, June 2022.jpg
    Dave & Tom green stuff, June 2022.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 203
Nice half reale! Super jealous of your back pocket Spanish influence sites...

Hi Tom

I like your friends Half Reale very much. Do you guys ever find any Jesuit relics/artifacts in your part of CA?

Regards,

Peter

...I like your friends Half Reale very much. Do you guys ever find any Jesuit relics/artifacts in your part of CA?

Well I don't know that I/we would call them "Jesuit relics/artifacts" though. We just call them Indian trade items (trinkets, medallion, buttons, copper rings, etc...) Things that in certain upper midwest states areas they call "fur trade" items.

Back
Top Bottom