What is the best Tons of Treasure site you have ever detected?

kamogawa

Without revealing your prized locations, have you ever run across an area that had likely never been touched by a detector and resulted in finds beyond all imagination and expectation? I happened across a modern school and church yard that turned out was the front field for a summer church festival that had been held since the 20's. There were hundreds of coins including endless silver, quite a bit of jewelry, and almost no trash. With the soft and fluffy soil, the coins might have well just jumped into your hand. It was off the beaten path and in an area with very few people around. You could detect for hours without seeing anyone. There were multi thousands of dollars to be found when it was all said and done. That was over 40 years ago. There were several other places in the city that were likely untouched and held huge amounts of coins and other things, but, sadly, they were paved over as this site was later on.

Last edited:
On May 12th in this same forum, I posted a similar question, but I'll repeat mine.......My best site gave up 3,039 clad coins worth $463.00, plus 10 90% silver coins, including a beautiful 1843 Seated Liberty Quarter, plus 11 sterling silver rings. This particular site has been ruined for hunting because the town put a huge elementary school on the land.

Attachments

• DSCN2359.jpg
    DSCN2359.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 375
  • DSCN2360.jpg
    DSCN2360.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 388
On May 12th in this same forum, I posted a similar question, but I'll repeat mine.......My best site gave up 3,039 clad coins worth $463.00, plus 10 90% silver coins, including a beautiful 1843 Seated Liberty Quarter, plus 11 sterling silver rings. This particular site has been ruined for hunting because the town put a huge elementary school on the land.

Wow! That was a dream, site indeed! Great coin picture!

My neighbors yard use to be a church. They were called Holly Rollers, and would actually roll on the ground. Well, yea, that leave a lot to fall out!

Old Holy Roller sites have probably kept many a detectorist unexpectedly happy in decades past.

how big of an area in feet was it?

What was there prior to them putting a school up?

how big of an area in feet was it?

What was there prior to them putting a school up?
Can't answer your first question because I never bring a yardstick with me on my hunts. :lol:
Prior to the school it was a huge sports complex......two soccer fields, a baseball field and a basketball court. I was told by a local that every year since the early 70's they held aroad race there with hundreds of people roaming the fields and also they had flea markets there that drew a few thousand people every year. Something had to be there prior to those events to account for the silver coins, but I have no info in that regard.

Can't answer your first question because I never bring a yardstick with me on my hunts. :lol:
Prior to the school it was a huge sports complex......two soccer fields, a baseball field and a basketball court. I was told by a local that every year since the early 70's they held aroad race there with hundreds of people roaming the fields and also they had flea markets there that drew a few thousand people every year. Something had to be there prior to those events to account for the silver coins, but I have no info in that regard.

Interesting

That Seated Liberty is amazing! Congratulations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I have, a few winters ago, I stumbled across a virgin swimming hole location. Ended up with about 20 pieces of gold and near 150 pieces of silver/sterling. It was an amazing site. I'll be hitting this spot much harder with my hookah this year, I firmly believe there is more to be found. This is one of many photos from that site...

Attachments

• 20200318_144303.jpg
    20200318_144303.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 342
Yes I have, a few winters ago, I stumbled across a virgin swimming hole location. Ended up with about 20 pieces of gold and near 150 pieces of silver/sterling. It was an amazing site. I'll be hitting this spot much harder with my hookah this year, I firmly believe there is more to be found. This is one of many photos from that site...

Love it! What an awesome place to come across. No doubt there will be a lot more awaiting you when you return.

Had a small rural ballfield a few years back, right next to an old train depot. First hit was a merc few feet behind second base. Ended up with about 20 silvers including 1876 seated quarter, Barbers, Standing lib, Walker and about ten Indians and 20+ wheats, large cent and couple old tokens. Buddy found a silver Canadian half. Most of these coins were at about 4” deep.

A private property... 143 wheats, 20 silvers,12 IH pennies, 10 buff nickels, etc.. no targets in front yard everything in back it was not a big property...

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=264955&highlight=134+wheats

At the beach found a swim platform over a period of a few weeks pulled 34 gold rings and a load of silver and artifacts... hunted the site a couple times a week... I don't like hunting a spot 2 days in a row...

Attachments

• user32_pic24109_1315183237.jpg
    user32_pic24109_1315183237.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 331
A private property... 143 wheats, 20 silvers,12 IH pennies, 10 buff nickels, etc.. no targets in front yard everything in back it was not a big property...

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=264955&highlight=134+wheats

At the beach found a swim platform over a period of a few weeks pulled 34 gold rings and a load of silver and artifacts... hunted the site a couple times a week... I don't like hunting a spot 2 days in a row...

Amazing! That's what I'm talkin' 'about!
Thanks for sharing the great picture!

Had a small rural ballfield a few years back, right next to an old train depot. First hit was a merc few feet behind second base. Ended up with about 20 silvers including 1876 seated quarter, Barbers, Standing lib, Walker and about ten Indians and 20+ wheats, large cent and couple old tokens. Buddy found a silver Canadian half. Most of these coins were at about 4” deep.

Now that's a good all-American detecting story! It certainly sounds like you were the first to search the ground there. A happy memory to look back on!

I'm amazed people lost this much $ in their yard. I mean, back then even a penny had value. Maybe they were so poor they had holes in their pants.

I know the history of the property... most what I found was from families after the persons goodies I had hoped to find... he was well known for his creations...

more recent owners of the property used the cellar hole area for their swimming pool...

Amazing! That's what I'm talkin' 'about!
Thanks for sharing the great picture!

The swim platform gave up a lot more but I lost those pictures on my other computer that crashed before putting them in my albums here...

I know the history of the property... most what I found was from families after the persons goodies I had hoped to find... he was well known for his creations...

more recent owners of the property used the cellar hole area for their swimming pool...

That sounds like an ol' boy Kentucky swimming pool.

Back
Top Bottom