Getting A Silver Ring Polished

Martin_V3i

Elite Member
I've found several silver rings and kept them in "out of the ground" condition, and saved them. I once gave one to a friend's wife and he did a polish job on it, it was outstanding. My question is, are jewelers trusted to finesse silver rings without stones, for a price? I want to gift a sister of mine with a James Avery ring, in very good condition, but after seeing my buddies job on the silver heart ring, I'm thinking about taking my silver rings to get them made sparkling. Thanks in advance.

Here is the ring I want to give my sister.

Attachments

• 7D36C00B-009F-41E2-BBED-CE357FBBCE6B.jpeg
    7D36C00B-009F-41E2-BBED-CE357FBBCE6B.jpeg
    66.8 KB · Views: 710
This being an intended gift, I'd rather get a more skilled person to make it shine, in all of the crevices. That ring lists as a $90 to $650. Me going to polishing school just seems unwise.

Tooth paste will clean that ring up very nicely. Just wet the paste a little and scrub it with your fingers. After that, you can polish it with silver polish if you want to.

Try some toothpaste on it. You definitely won't hurt anything. I think you'll be happy with how it turns out. I sometimes take silver rings to a local jeweler that's located in a grocery store of all places. He bends them back into shape and shines them up for me at no charge.

Try some toothpaste on it. You definitely won't hurt anything. I think you'll be happy with how it turns out. I sometimes take silver rings to a local jeweler that's located in a grocery store of all places. He bends them back into shape and shines them up for me at no charge.

Did the jeweler put a better shine on them, than you could have done yourself?

just put a cloth buffing wheel on your bench grinder and buy a little bar of rouge at the same place. does nicely. i use lemon ammonia too. if its just stained i use EZest dip or Wrights silver clean. Silver is hard. i also use a mandril ring sizer and wooden mallet and pound them out. nice and Round, and get correct size too. i have place crumpled aluminu foil in a dish, place ring on it, cover with baking soda, and pour boiling water on it. that works. toothpaste does work great also. its silver, it will clean usually. the polish wheel just gives it a smoother shine.

Do you own a dremel? bench grinder? drill?(something that spins) If so get some buffing wheels(felt usually) and some polishing compound and Do it yourself, its one of the more simple things that you are for sure capable of. Then you don't need to search for a jeweler that will do it for free, or end up paying one as much as the ring is worth to have it polished.

How do you clean silver rings that are tarnished completely black? I’m soaking it hot salt water with aluminum foil and it’s barely showing any improvement.
2E14853C-94E9-40EC-86C0-94A85A2A42EE.jpeg
B87707FB-CDC3-4625-A239-CF072BC1A691.jpeg

How do you clean silver rings that are tarnished completely black? I’m soaking it hot salt water with aluminum foil and it’s barely showing any improvement. View attachment 576964View attachment 576966
Take a small bowl and completely line it with aluminum foil. Put down a layer of baking soda, then the ring and cover with more baking soda. Wet it until it's a paste and let it soak. After a couple hours rub the ring using the baking soda paste and ill will come clean.

Steve

Take a small bowl and completely line it with aluminum foil. Put down a layer of baking soda, then the ring and cover with more baking soda. Wet it until it's a paste and let it soak. After a couple hours rub the ring using the baking soda paste and ill will come clean.

Steve
I have done all this with the foil and peroxide several times. Very lame results. I want a high gleam finish result.

I tried this and the water didn’t turn black, even the first time. I’m letting it soak in the second try right now.

1F614C4E-5279-4796-A998-8B8E7C41DD1A.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom