old baseball field no longer in use

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
In atlanta north of I-20 there are not many old parks. Most were built from the late 1970's onward as Atlanta grew towards the mountains.

I just have to deal with what I have to work with in terms in hunt sites. We do have quite a few civil war relic sites that have produce well in the 1970's and 1980's and probably as we say not really hunted out.

But this old now unused baseball field according to Historic Aerials was created between 1981 and 1988.

So I was not expecting to find silver coins. This morning when I left at 8:00 am the temperature was 64 degrees. This after weeks of 98 - 102 degrees of heat.

So when I got there after a 40 min drive the temperature was in the low 70's and half the field was in the shade. So I hunted in the shade.

Found very little trash. I was using my CTX with a 17" coil so I appreciated not having much trash. I did about 6 rows from behind home plate to outer left field. The dew on the ground gave me good tracks to keep a steady walks of adjacent rows.

Found one rabies tag, one dog ID tag, one piece of foil, 1972 memorial and a 1965 Washington quarter. Darn, just one year off. So I will hit it some more on the cooler mornings. I figure with a 1965 qtr, they may be an outside chance to get a silver.

Now when I say there was not much trash, I was cherry picking for coins and the CTX will pretty much ID trash (or rings) as non-coins. I did get a lot of penny hits in the area behind home plate where the concession stand was located years ago. I will hit that with my 6" coil on my CTX.

Was very pleasant morning to metal detect for a change.

Attachments

• oldbaseballfield2small.jpg
    oldbaseballfield2small.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 220
  • old baseballfield1small.jpg
    old baseballfield1small.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 212
Back
Top Bottom