Opinions wanted

longbow62

Forum Supporter
Not long ago I sent an item to be repaired out of state. The guy got it and repaired it. I paid him and he shipped it back USPS insured. Now it appears it was lost by USPS. It just disappeared from tracking after it left the first large distribution center it hit. It's been about 20 days since shipped. Now the person is like it's out of his hands and totally my responsibility to deal with the USPS. He sent me copies of all mail receipts and work done invoice.

When I sent it to him it was on me if it got lost. I contracted with UPS to deliver it to him, but once he signed for it in my opinion is he's responsible for the item until it's delivered back to me and I sign for it. He contracted with USPS to deliver it back to me.

Regardless if it never shows up and I have to file a claim I think he basically shirked his responsibility on the matter of getting the item back to me or making me whole on the loss. He has no control over USPS, but he ships stuff to customers and back and forth on repairs all the time. Shipping items is part of his business. So who's responsibility is it?

That's a tough one. It's one reason I always try to put insurance on the item if it's more than a $100..But I've had items come up missing in action through the postal service for a month with no movement,then reappear out of nowhere delivered to the front porch..I would hold out a few more weeks, it does happen and I've had that experience more than once of it showing no movement for a month then appearing on the doorstep..And that was with USPS..

I would say if he proves he sent it to the right place and USPS lost it, it's on USPS. That's pretty unfair to hold him accountable for their actions.

Not a tough one. It’s USPS fault. They “lost” a $3,000+ package of mine recently and never delivered 6 gift cards in a row. I will never trust them to ship anything of value from here on.

If it was insured, isn't someone getting the insurance money? If he was paid and insurance money is paid out, I would think the money goes to you.

I'm not following why you think he's done anything wrong. There's proof he shipped it, the package is insured, and you have the information to file the insurance claim. What else is he supposed to do?

Its USPS fault.. I assume you want to know who is responsible for calling, filling out forms, etc at USPS?
They will likely need forms, proof etc from the sender and receiver.
The receiver will have to do the running around if the sender wants to snooze through the entire thing.

Its USPS fault.. I assume you want to know who is responsible for calling, filling out forms, etc at USPS?
They will likely need forms, proof etc from the sender and receiver.
The receiver will have to do the running around if the sender wants to snooze through the entire thing.

I'd prefer to handle it myself, regardless. What are the chances of ever seeing the insurance money if the seller/shipper takes care of it!?

Last edited:
If this is an insurance situation the shipper should be dealing with USPS to file a claim. If it was uninsured then it becomes much tougher, although it should still be on the shipper if he didn't insure the shipment and USPS lost it.

Not long ago I sent an item to be repaired out of state. The guy got it and repaired it. I paid him and he shipped it back USPS insured. Now it appears it was lost by USPS. It just disappeared from tracking after it left the first large distribution center it hit. It's been about 20 days since shipped. Now the person is like it's out of his hands and totally my responsibility to deal with the USPS. He sent me copies of all mail receipts and work done invoice.

When I sent it to him it was on me if it got lost. I contracted with UPS to deliver it to him, but once he signed for it in my opinion is he's responsible for the item until it's delivered back to me and I sign for it. He contracted with USPS to deliver it back to me.

Regardless if it never shows up and I have to file a claim I think he basically shirked his responsibility on the matter of getting the item back to me or making me whole on the loss. He has no control over USPS, but he ships stuff to customers and back and forth on repairs all the time. Shipping items is part of his business. So who's responsibility is it?

Well,
The gent should pay you for what the item is worth. And he can deal with usps in getting his money via the insurance from usps. If he underinsured the item. It’s on him. Too bad.

Imagine if the item would have been stolen out of his car before shipping.
He would have been responsible for making it right with you.

Now if the item was to surface after the transaction he does with you. You can accept the item and give his money back.
But this should be happening in a reasonable short period of time. Not 3 months, a year, etc.

You may decide to take the money he should give you and buy a replacement hence you wouldn’t have a need for your item that was lost.

Well,
The gent should pay you for what the item is worth. And he can deal with usps in getting his money via the insurance from usps. If he underinsured the item. It’s on him. Too bad.

Imagine if the item would have been stolen out of his car before shipping.
He would have been responsible for making it right with you.

Now if the item was to surface after the transaction he does with you. You can accept the item and give his money back.
But this should be happening in a reasonable short period of time. Not 3 months, a year, etc.

You may decide to take the money he should give you and buy a replacement hence you wouldn’t have a need for your item that was lost.

Agreed. When he signed for the item it was in his care until I get it back. When he signed he took on the responsibility to insure the safety of my property, and insure a safe return upon the receipt of my payment for his services. Sure it's the fault of the carrier who lost it, but since he contracted with them to return it he should be doing the leg work so to speak to either find it or compensate me for it.

Yes it's completely possible it could still show up, but it's becoming less likely by the day.

IMHO, whomever paid for the insurance should file the claim and do the legwork.

If he offered you return shipping insurance, and you declined, then it is on you. If you shipped it insured, and he did offer insurance that you took or he chose not to insure it, it is on him.

If no insurance was involved, it looks like a loss, as this thing is gone, from what I hear of USPS horror stories. The only choice seems to litigation, as contract law and opinions thereof vary by place to place, as can be seen in this thread. It seems unlikely litigation is worth the time and expense, unless the object was really valuable.

The best it seems you can do, if you truly feel injured, is post negative reviews on social media, and remove them if he makes you whole. But don't _threaten_ to do is, as such can be construed as extortion.

From a practical perspective, it seems your only chance is to work with whatever paperwork he have you, and hope for the best. This story also reminds us that iron clad terms of insurance and responsibility should be worked out beforehand, especially given what a train wreck the USPS seems to be.

JMHO of course.

In good faith, the repairman insured and sent you your item via the USPO. So IMHO it is not his fault that the item was lost. Also in good faith he sent you the paperwork, tracking number, etc. You as the owner have suffered a loss, why should he, having acted in good faith, be responsible for the USPO's actions? Now that you have the paperwork, time to get down to the USPO local office and file the lost item paperwork to get the USPO looking for it! Some have said, it might still show up....that is a possibility, but pretty dim at this time. Mail theft happens all the time, recently on the national news, so do your own diligence. You suffered the loss, so you should get the insurance money! But do not lay the lack of effort to file about it on him.

I think the shipper has to file the claim with USPS. An interesting fact: I have shipped thousands of items through the years via USPS, with probably 95 percent of them uninsured. Of those thousands of items shipped, I have only had two items not reach their destination, and both of them were insured. That makes me think the dishonest USPS employees are much more interested in packages that may contain something valuable enough to be insured.

Here is what I have done. Go visit your local PO, calmly explain the situation. They can put a trace on it for you. What’s the item worth and was it shipped priority? Priority has an automatic $100 insurance rider on the package.

If this had been an eBay transaction, the seller is on the hook until delivery.

I have only had two items not reach their destination, and both of them were insured. That makes me think the dishonest USPS employees are much more interested in packages that may contain something valuable enough to be insured.

I know the label used to state INSURED on it. I suppose a simple scan is all it takes.

I believe USPS Priority gives you an automatic $50 insurance and then you have to pay extra for anything above that. I’ve found the USPS is good about claims but they are just very slow. With my e-commerce site, if something gets lost it is all me. Most times I just replace the order for my customer and move on. It happens very rarely and all of our more expensive stuff typically goes UPS anyways. Stuff happens but I don’t feel like my customer should wait. To be fair if this happens twice in a year then that is a lot. We do ship a to. Of stuff via USPS and 99.9% gets there just fine.

The shipper must wait 15 days before filing a claim, but no more than 60 days...Homeowners insurance perhaps...?

Back
Top Bottom