Remembering Yesteryear

goldpaninut

Well, today was my detecting day & I arrived at Lithia park about 0800. I don't get many full days of detecting, and when I do its special. It was in the 30S when I arrived, but that's my kind of weather. The first 3 hours I spent detecting areas I had detected in the past with almost no results. I remembered when I was a kid living in Ashland in the 60s, every summer there used to be parades that went through the park, and people by the hundreds would sit on the curbs and watch them go by. Not wanting to waste the day, my thoughts drifted back to when I used to detect Lithia Park in 1982 & 83 when I was down here from Alaska attending college. I had GREAT luck detecting the curbs in the early 80s, and I found plenty. However, there was one area along the curbs my detector would not work in. There seemed to be more rebar in the concrete or something, and it seemed like underground electric cables were running beside it, and my detector just had fits.
Jump forward to 2020, now I have a top of the line Minelab Equinox 800 detector, and I was determined to detect that specific curb area. Walking there I set up the detector and of course, there was way too much interference from electric cables and rebar. It didn't take long to adjust out the rebar but the electrical cables were still raising havoc & I couldn't tell a dime from a steel bathtub. So I turned the sensitivity way down, set a few other things differently, and tried it again. The electrical interference was still there but definitely not as bad. A few more minor adjustments and the curb was somewhat detectable.
I started detecting very slow I soon had a very iffy 30 - 32 signal. Carefully digging about 5" I saw a shiny quarter lying there. It turned out to be a 1925 Philadelphia Standing Liberty quarter! This is only the 2nd one I've ever found! Continuing down the curb maybe 15 feet, I got a 27 - 28 signal. Digging down about 4" I saw another shiny coin laying there, this time a 1947-S Roosevelt dime. Try as I may, that was the last signal on that un-detectable stretch of curb I could get. I also picked up 1937-D and 1958-D wheat cents and less than a dollars worth of clad coins. Next time I'm over there I think I'll re-detect this stretch of curb and try for better settings so I can turn the sensitivity back up and get more depth. Not a bad day though! I'm up to 13 silvers and 24 wheats for the year now.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 803
  • 2 .jpg
    2 .jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 764
  • 3. .jpg
    3. .jpg
    105 KB · Views: 756
  • 4 .jpg
    4 .jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 758
  • 5 .jpg
    5 .jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 745
  • 6 .jpg
    6 .jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 747
Dude epic find, now I know why Lithia is so clean! In your opinion is it still worth detecting there for older coins? It so, could u point me in the right direction. If not it’s fine you just seldom come across Ashland detecorists these days let alone ones if such knowledge of the area. Thanks, and once again that was a sweet quarter!

SAWEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTT !!!!!!
Big congrats on your 2nd stander.
Way to keep fighting the negative elements and come through with the shiny stuff.
That baby is beautiful. I've probably dug ten or so , most dateless, a couple nice ones in the teens, but never any 20s with nice dates like that.
Nice score.

Back
Top Bottom