Aggressive hand digger

Clint in KY

Putting my gear back together after a long lay-off. When I first started metal detecting I bent or broke a number of hand trowels. So I was looking for something a bit more aggressive this time around. I came across a digger named a Radius Garden Root Slayer. The company makes a line of shovels that I see quite a few in Youtube videos, but never the hand diggers. Does any one have any experience with this one?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Radius-Garden-17011-Root-Slayer-Trowel-with-Holster-Red/1002659930.

Googling around I found one for less than $20 and still has a lifetime warantee

Clint, I've tried many of the box store hand trowels/diggers, though not the particular one you've mentioned.

The BEST one I've found, and still use, is this one:

https://wilcoxallpro.com/products/garrett-metal-detectors-digging-trowel

Just under $11 (plus shipping), it stays in my pouch while the Lesche ($40+) is strictly "back-up".

Heck, I'd buy another Wilcox, but the only way I'd ever need it was if I lost mine :lol: , because I'll never damage it.

The first one is not nearly as aggressive as I need for the areas I dig. Lots of roots with which to deal. And the second while it looks more like what I need - BUT - at $44 I'll take a hard pass.

Clint,
I have the 8.14 version of the Root Slayer hand digger and it has been a beast. The only issue I have found is that I had to cut a hole in the bottom of the sheath to allow dirt to fall out. Other than that, not one complaint. I think I got mine at the local Tractor Supply.

at $44 I'll take a hard pass. Yea but you will not have to buy another one soon
Will pay for itself after you break those $20 ones

Skip the cheap stuff...https://gravediggertools.com/...$37 and will last you forever....

You know, I’ve heard others also sing the praises of these diggers. I have two White’s Diamond diggers, that sadly are no longer made so I hate letting people use the second one when I loan out gear, so just ordered one to both test out and use as my loaner.

I can't even remember where I got it?

Starting out, I'd used the Fiskars (meh, cheap, don't last but will get you by in a pinch), I've got a Lesche that bends when I pry, the Wilcox doesn't even think about it. If you cant pry something out of the hole with it, it certainly isn't going to bend/flex.

I might even by myself a different model for my birthday or Christmas :lol:

The original post asked if anyone had experience with the Root Slayer trowel, not "What is your favorite digger?"

I received my Root Slayer, and while I cannot try it out due to a shoulder injury, it is an impressive thing. It does need to be sharpened at the tip, but is a very aggressive tool. It has a lifetime warrantee so to those who poopooed anything that came from a box-store as not worth having may be mistaken. I will post an update when my once re-built shoulder is re-built again, when I can get out in the woods and actually dig a hole with it.

Thanks to all,

I asked for one of whites diggers when I sent detector in for repairs, mx pro water leak. That is one tough shovel, have a small magnet on it.

The RootSlayer looks solid enough, and the manufacturer warranty looks legit. I'm annoyed that nowhere did I see "full tang" so I have to wonder how much metal makes it into the handle. This statement "Non-latex, thermoplastic grip with polypropylene core for comfort and ease of use" is even scarier. Plastic core? Can you tell how far the tang goes? Pinpointer or magnet should help.

The RootSlayer looks solid enough, and the manufacturer warranty looks legit. I'm annoyed that nowhere did I see "full tang" so I have to wonder how much metal makes it into the handle. This statement "Non-latex, thermoplastic grip with polypropylene core for comfort and ease of use" is even scarier. Plastic core? Can you tell how far the tang goes? Pinpointer or magnet should help.

Thanks for the PP idea. I took my PP to it, and it appears that the tank goes about 3/4 down the handle. While I would prefer it to go all the way, I think it goes enough.

Attachments

• Tang small.jpg
    Tang small.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 341
Last edited:
Cool, thanks. Should be plenty, and good to know how far back not to put pressure if you have to get ornery with a big rock or squashed can.

Back
Top Bottom