• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Best Equinox coil for curb strips?

Silverhorse65

Elite Member
I've only ever used the stock 11" coil on my Equinox 600. I've detected some curb strips in the past, but considering curb stripping more seriously here in the near future. I've found many of the curb strips to be rather trashy. Just wondering if others on here have curb strip experience with the Nox using either the coil tek 5"x10" or the Equinox 6" sniper coil and have any thoughts as to which of the three would be best in trashy curb strips.

I'm okay with finding clad, but ideally would be detecting older strips looking for relics and silver at 4" to 8" depths.

Last edited:
I've only ever used the stock 11" coil on my Equinox 600. I've detected some curb strips in the past, but considering curb stripping more seriously here in the near future. I've found many of the curb strips to be rather trashy. Just wondering if others on here have curb strip experience with the Nox using either the coil tek 5"x10" or the Equinox 6" sniper coil and have any thoughts as to which of the three would be best in trashy curb strips.

I'm okay with finding clad, but ideally would be detecting older strips looking for relics and silver at 4" to 8" depths.

The 6" coil would be perfect IMO.

X2

Of course the depth is not going to be that of the stock coil but you are going to be able to separate targets and pinpoint much easier with the 6" coil.
I hunt 90% with the 6" and really like it. Sometimes I will go back over the same strip with the stock coil for added depth and with heavy notching to avoid the trash.

I just started using the 6 inch coil on the Nox and frankly..it's the only coil I want to use now! It just seems so much more accurate and I recently found an old train brake shoe at 16 inches deep with it so depth is not a concern to me.

Thanks for the suggestion, it's about $50 or so cheaper than the Coiltek 5x10 as well.

X2

Of course the depth is not going to be that of the stock coil but you are going to be able to separate targets and pinpoint much easier with the 6" coil.
I hunt 90% with the 6" and really like it. Sometimes I will go back over the same strip with the stock coil for added depth and with heavy notching to avoid the trash.

Thanks for the info Nick. Sounds like you get a lot of good use out of the 6" coil.

X3. That coil always travels with me for those ideal locations.

This makes it 3-0 for the 6" coil JAK, hard to argue with that.

I just started using the 6 inch coil on the Nox and frankly..it's the only coil I want to use now! It just seems so much more accurate and I recently found an old train brake shoe at 16 inches deep with it so depth is not a concern to me.

Thanks Jose, 4 in a row enjoying the 6" coil.

6 inch... for a few reasons...but biggest..EMI

Don't let anyone tell ya you CANT dig 8inch and even 10 inch coins with the 6 inch coil ..I've done it ... of course alot of factors within that statement , but I hunt with another guy here often and he has the coiltek 5x9 and neither one of us are impressed by it in a cellar hole/old farm type setting...
Last time he used it he mentioned he wish he didn't buy the coiltek..
Go with the 6 inch...especially for EMI reasons

I haven’t used the 6”, but the 11” is a deep coil with very good separation, although I ran the Coiltek 10x5” over a yard that I had pounded with the 11” coil, and My CTX3030. I’ve cross hatched the yard 3 or 4 different times. Anyway the 10x5” zeroed in on a 1920 Wheat next to a Big Ben button, next to a 1914D key date Wheat Penny!!! They had to be either touching or right next to each other. The 10x5” got just enough separation to give Me an Indian range signal plus a little higher getting Me to dig it. Very Glad I Did!!!! This is the one I use on curb strips when swinging My Equinox 800.
Happy Hunting!!!!!

The thing to do with any coil you choose on strips or anywhere, is to just not hammer the settings for 8 inch plus targets on the git-go. Curb strips are junk yards. Peel the onion as I call it. Get the top layer done first.

6 inch... for a few reasons...but biggest..EMI

Good information. Never really thought of the EMI implications, but it certainly makes sense. There's almost always lines overhead when it comes to curb strips.

Don't let anyone tell ya you CANT dig 8inch and even 10 inch coins with the 6 inch coil ..I've done it ... of course alot of factors within that statement , but I hunt with another guy here often and he has the coiltek 5x9 and neither one of us are impressed by it in a cellar hole/old farm type setting...
Last time he used it he mentioned he wish he didn't buy the coiltek..
Go with the 6 inch...especially for EMI reasons

Good to know, depth was my biggest concern. I didn't want to spend the money to find out it just wouldn't penetrate past 4", realizing that lots of factors play into depth.

I haven’t used the 6”, but the 11” is a deep coil with very good separation, although I ran the Coiltek 10x5” over a yard that I had pounded with the 11” coil, and My CTX3030. I’ve cross hatched the yard 3 or 4 different times. Anyway the 10x5” zeroed in on a 1920 Wheat next to a Big Ben button, next to a 1914D key date Wheat Penny!!! They had to be either touching or right next to each other. The 10x5” got just enough separation to give Me an Indian range signal plus a little higher getting Me to dig it. Very Glad I Did!!!! This is the one I use on curb strips when swinging My Equinox 800.
Happy Hunting!!!!!

Thanks for the info Digger. I've used the stock coil enough to know that it gives some great separation for it's size. Just keep wondering if there's stuff I'm missing in trashy areas. I'm surprised by all the "votes" for the 6" coil. I figured I'd be told to stick with stock, or go Coiltek. I remember when the Coiltek first came out, there seemed to be lots of posters singing it's praises.

The thing to do with any coil you choose on strips or anywhere, is to just not hammer the settings for 8 inch plus targets on the git-go. Curb strips are junk yards. Peel the onion as I call it. Get the top layer done first.

So what I hear you saying is, it's going to take me time and patience:( Why can't it be easy like it was in the 70's and 80's:?: Oh well, according to Tom, I should move to the East Coast and hunt for largies if I want it easy:laughing:

I agree with the 6x6" vs coiltek 10x5.

the6x6" coil is 28% less coil area than the 10x5"
and if you just consider the DD area of the coil it is 40% less than the 10x5" coil.

When hunting a trashy area to unmask good targets I would always choose the 6x6" coil over the Coiltek 10x5. If fact that is exactly what I did two weeks ago when considering both coils for a purchase. I purchased the 6x6" coil for my CTX3030.

I've found that both the 6x6 coil and coiltek 5x10 or (4x9 - whatever the actual size is) do a good job, with the coiltek doing better closer to the curb and sidewalk edge, especially for deeper coins on edge. Both do really well with separation, but I find the coiltek gives me a little more information when it's angled when the grass is higher or clumped in spots. Varies depending on the amount of rebar or mesh are in the concrete, though - with the 6x6 performing better when there's more of it. Once that first layer of trash is out, a larger coil can be more revealing.

I agree with the 6x6" vs coiltek 10x5.

the6x6" coil is 28% less coil area than the 10x5"
and if you just consider the DD area of the coil it is 40% less than the 10x5" coil.

When hunting a trashy area to unmask good targets I would always choose the 6x6" coil over the Coiltek 10x5. If fact that is exactly what I did two weeks ago when considering both coils for a purchase. I purchased the 6x6" coil for my CTX3030.

Good information on coil area/coverage.

I've found that both the 6x6 coil and coiltek 5x10 or (4x9 - whatever the actual size is) do a good job, with the coiltek doing better closer to the curb and sidewalk edge, especially for deeper coins on edge. Both do really well with separation, but I find the coiltek gives me a little more information when it's angled when the grass is higher or clumped in spots. Varies depending on the amount of rebar or mesh are in the concrete, though - with the 6x6 performing better when there's more of it. Once that first layer of trash is out, a larger coil can be more revealing.

Thanks for the detailed information sdub, so there's certainly times and places where the 5x10 may be preferable.

Back
Top Bottom