AT Pro Settings...What Do You Use?

I go pro zero, id to 38 and sense to two bars from top on sports fields and parks but full sense in woods and fields, iron audio on (the speed it gives you the sound, you can tell if its iron in something or next to it).

In dry sand id ground balance then take 5 off manually to give it that extra bounce, and a little noise coming through.

It has been interesting to see this old post brought back to life these part couple weeks. Thanks for the advice and the interest! Since the original post I have logged likely near 100 hours of use and found that indeed Pro had been the way to go. I have learned to not discriminate anything and run a notch or two from full sensitivity most of the time. Ground balancing is a must though I admit I occasionally will detune a couple of numbers down. I am still using the original coil but am considering purchasing a smaller one due to the heavy iron targets in my normal hotspots.

I think I managed several hundred dollars of clad this past year with little silver. A bit of jewelry and some interesting other historic items. Currently much snow and frozen conditions but hoping by end of February the season might begin here in Eastern Oregon. Hoping the nice people at Garrett will give my machine a thorough once over as I began to suspect some falsing late last summer. Going on two weeks now with no word from them. Hoped for better but expected several weeks.

I'm quite envious of those who can continue to get outdoors during the winter months. Happy hunting to all and thanks for the continued tales and advice!

With the high sound of silver though you know your not missing it..is just not there...the at pro is a real silver hog...it will not pass over anything as small as a silver ear stud without letting you know

AT Pro Return to Garrett Info

As I mentioned, I did return my machine to Garrett for a check. I called Garrett and visited with Myra (I believe), and obtained an RMA (I believe that's the acronym), and then shipped my detector to Garland, Texas. It arrived last Thursday and as of today, I have not received any word from Garrett. I sent the return form from their website inside the box and a short note detailing what I had experienced.

As far as I recall, the information I noted from my conversation with Garrett indicated that they would contact me via either email or phone with information. Perhaps they haven't begun to put it through its paces yet or are busy. I guess we'll see what happens.

For reference, I purchased my machine from Andrew at NED in February of 2011 just after, I believe, the big falsing issue that hit the AT Pro early in production. I was under the impression that my machine was one of the "newer" machines that were part of the fix. I have no reason to think that Garrett won't take care of me as it seems many forum members have had excellent results with Garrett's customer service.

Thanks for the interest and continued happy hunting to all!

Update: Garrett service

An update to the service I requested from Garrett...

I received my AT back from factory service on February 5th after about 3+ weeks. I believe Garrett updated the software but all other components are the same. No one from Garrett contacted me about the unit although I provided both phone and email. I did finally call after not hearing from them and was told my machine was in transit back to me. I had a packing slip on the box but no service record or repair order of the work performed, if any. I will take it out and test it as soon as the weather improves.

On a side note, the box I sent the detector in was the original and I double boxed the detector. The box my machine was returned in was a different AT box and the detector was not double boxed. I find it odd that these were different from what I sent in. Anyone else have a similiar experience with service/shipping direct from Garrett?

Pro zero, wide open sensitivity and discrimination at 29. Ground balance in Alabama is 81 most places.. start this way from the beginning or something very close to it. It takes a little while to learn the language this detector is speaking but before too long you'll be speaking AT Pro.

I go pro zero, id to 38 and sense to two bars from top on sports fields and parks but full sense in woods and fields, iron audio on (the speed it gives you the sound, you can tell if its iron in something or next to it).

In dry sand id ground balance then take 5 off manually to give it that extra bounce, and a little noise coming through.

taking down the ground balance just a little like 81 to 76 helps me find more gold...in my opinion.

Going into the 6th year with my AT Pro. Love this detector. My settings are very similar to many above... Pro Zero, Full Sensitivity, nothing discriminated or notched out, Iron audio off. Ground balance at about 80-82 for my soil. So simple, just turn it on and start detecting.

Going into the 6th year with my AT Pro. Love this detector. My settings are very similar to many above... Pro Zero, Full Sensitivity, nothing discriminated or notched out, Iron audio off. Ground balance at about 80-82 for my soil. So simple, just turn it on and start detecting.

Possibly silly question while waiting for mine to arrive.

So you're basically running in all metal mode, but with iron audio off, you just don't hear the iron?

And if "yes", this is to gain a slight depth advantage?

So you're basically running in all metal mode, but with iron audio off, you just don't hear the iron?

@ Gauntlet - Not sure about the depth thing, I never thought of that. Kinda hard to explain, but running the AT Pro the way I do with iron audio off, you still definitely hear the iron, it is more of a grunt or almost a low burp like sound. Easy to hear, fairly easy to tell you are over a bottle cap cause you will get the grunt along with the high tone. Also tells you that you may be over a good target with iron close by, in that case if deeper signal I will dig it. If I remember correctly, with iron audio "on" you do hear the iron as a low tone, not a grunt. Having iron audio on makes the sheer quantity of tones too busy for me. So yes, you still hear the iron with iron audio off.

@ Gauntlet - Not sure about the depth thing, I never thought of that. Kinda hard to explain, but running the AT Pro the way I do with iron audio off, you still definitely hear the iron, it is more of a grunt or almost a low burp like sound. Easy to hear, fairly easy to tell you are over a bottle cap cause you will get the grunt along with the high tone. Also tells you that you may be over a good target with iron close by, in that case if deeper signal I will dig it. If I remember correctly, with iron audio "on" you do hear the iron as a low tone, not a grunt. Having iron audio on makes the sheer quantity of tones too busy for me. So yes, you still hear the iron with iron audio off.

Thanks!

Quoting myself :p

I see the ATP has no actual all metal mode.

Why, if running no disc, this wouldn't be "all metal"?

(Admitted to not be too far into the instruction book at this point)

With iron audio off you don't hear as much of the iron.

With iron audio off you don't hear as much of the iron.

I'm certainly growing anxious to take it for a spin. Played with it for just a few minutes after assembling yesterday.

Default was in STD mode, and I heard that Ace "bing-bong". :lol:

Starting with an Ace 250 I grew to hate that sound. lol, Skiwiz always kidded me about it.

In all fairness, I did make some good finds with it.

Rain for the next 3 days, so I'll have lots of time to spend with the manual.

Back
Top Bottom