• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Beach Footwear

TripWire

Any recommendations or recommendations on what not to get?

I’m going to have an opportunity to hunt warm sandy beaches for about 2 years. I will also have the opportunity to hunt areas where I’ll probably get cut up on the rocks, as I’m in a few feet of water, getting knocked over by the larger random waves.

I’m looking at something called Racqua Water Shoes on Amazon.

Maybe even something like a neoprene sock that goes to my calf & a boot I can wear over it?

To be honest those look like a cheap water shoe. If you're going to be in a sharp right area look for a "wading bootie" for fishing. They will have a thicker rubber bottom and go up the sides of the foot slightly to prevent a higher cut. Calcutta used to make nice ones for about $80. I wore mine fishing the barnacle areas of Florida for about 5 years before I wore them out. If I can find a link I'll edit this.

I'm always trying beach footwear. Here's just a few of mine. I have 4 different variations of Crocs, they are not good in bigger rocks. Black "speedo slip-ons" are good all around. The light grey Ozark Trails are only a month old are working great , these are the types I prefer , $14 Walmart. The side zip dive boots are heavy duty , cost $55 at a dive shop and are 10 years old. BUT , in hot weather/water my feet sweat like crazy. Great for cold winters/heavy rocks. 20220806_114137.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

I am very partial to Croc's.

I bought beach socks for walking in the wet or dry sand. They are commonly used by beach volleyball players.
I also bought dive booties but made the mistake of getting a pair that are slip on. I reordered a pair with a side zipper.
Be sure they fit snug so as to minimize sand getting in and wearing on your feet.

Mares 6.5 mil hard bottoms. Regular dive boots wear to fast from using the scoop …. AND they smell REALLY bad over time.

For years I have worn my Converse All Star high tops detecting the rocky marl and bay beaches of Long Island. I have never suffered a cut from a surprise barnacle encrusted boulder or chunks of metal, broken bottles or whatever. Of course I don't use the new sneakers-I use the beat up ones. They last about 5 years or so for metal detecting purposes with heavy usage. When they croak I get a new pair for normal wear and and use the OK pair I was just wearing. I see so many beach goers stumbling and dancing over washed up potato/football sized rocks or pieces of sidewalk that were used far away in a shore protection project. They are very good for digging in almost all rocky conditions.

The one handicap is that they just take a good while to dry out-like overnight. But you could put them on at the beach while still damp. I use a 6" walled Sterilite container in the back of my vehicle to toss all wet gooey stuff in to prevent the SUV from smelling like seaweed. I just don't know if this is a viable option in the sizzling waters of the south.

O'Neill Superfreak 2mm Tropical Booties. Got 3 sets, they last about 3 seasons alone (in freshwater), but potentially triple that with 3 sets to rotate through. Easy to mend with eu6000 if need be. They keep sand out better than any of the multitude of other options I've tried over the years. Have also tried many of the cheaper alternative water shoes on amazon, most started to fall apart after a couple hunts and have insole inserts that fall apart quick, I think bulliant was the best of those, but still had sketchysole inserts.

There’s lots of Racqua footware on Amazon. Don’t know what style you’re considering. Do you have a link?

These have lasted me four years and still going strong:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000V9JSL2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I wanted something that would grip the rocks and keep my feet warm.
* They have ZERO arch support so I use inserts.
* They’re hot on the dry sand, but you’re going to get that with almost any shoe/bootie.
* The zippers sometimes get stuck with sand, so you have to flush them with the garden hose to get them off.
* Finally, they leave a high tan line (everyone thinks it’s a golfers tan).

All of that said, I would buy another pair.

You need a hard sole in my opinion. You never know when a sharp object is waiting for you considered we hunt beach errosion.

There’s lots of Racqua footware on Amazon. Don’t know what style you’re considering. Do you have a link?

These have lasted me four years and still going strong:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000V9JSL2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I wanted something that would grip the rocks and keep my feet warm.
* They have ZERO arch support so I use inserts.
* They’re hot on the dry sand, but you’re going to get that with almost any shoe/bootie.
* The zippers sometimes get stuck with sand, so you have to flush them with the garden hose to get them off.
* Finally, they leave a high tan line (everyone thinks it’s a golfers tan).

All of that said, I would buy another pair.

I was thinking these.

https://www.amazon.com/Racqua-Baref...f+shoe&qid=1659961718&sprefix=,aps,217&sr=8-9

I'd go with flats fishing booties since they're made to resist rock and urchin spine punctures. They drain water well and do a good job of keeping the sand out so it doesn't rub all the skin off your feet. Very much like dive booties but maybe a better sole not sure since if never had the dive version.

2nd choice would be Keens.

You need a hard sole in my opinion. You never know when a sharp object is waiting for you considered we hunt beach errosion.

LongJohn brings a good point about a hard sole, as most dive boots are flexible with not much support.

About a year ago I was hit with "Planter Fasciitis" Of course the worst thing for it is walking on a beach. The only thing that helped me through it was a night splint and hard shoe inserts.
Before it happens to you [it will if you detect a lot] get some inserts for your booties to give your feet some support.
HH

Back
Top Bottom