Last Time You Actually Used Wired HPS?

Martin_V3i

Elite Member
I got to thinking and I haven't used a set of wired headphones in years, besides when I tested the WM-08 module. That lasted just an afternoon, and I quickly went back to the wireless HPS. I am a land hunter. Wired headphones are a true PITA.

I used my headphones on my atp just to not have that thing screaming in the woods, but I left one ear open at all times. With my nox, I love the volume control and never used any headphones with it.

I adapted to wearing headphones, just like I did wearing seatbelts in cars, but the tethering of the HP wires are miserable. It is odd in how it feels to not have HPs on at all in the field on hunts. I keep feeling that I forgot something on every dig. Car seatbelts are the same. Funny how we all get institutionalized.

I use a set of Rattler's on my E-Trac all the time. I have a set of Gray Ghost as backup, but they have such good noise reduction I can't hear my Garrett Carott unless I move one cup to the side.

I started using water proof wired headphones about 3 months ago. Having the equinox wireless is nice but what if I get caught up in rain and don't want to stop hunting? Sure I could use the built in speaker but it can be hard to hear in high beach winds.

I love the no latency being wired and the thought of no chance of interference when using bluetooth is nice. This I will be testing when I go back to this certain beach that gives me a lot of noise.

Last edited:
Since using earbuds, I'll never use headphones again. Good riddance.

I personally believe there is a place for a good set of wired headphones when you are hunting for deeper targets. I'm talking headphones that are of a quality you can tell the difference between say the Equinox wireless HP's and the good set of wired HP's. Maybe I'm kidding myself, but I think with my wired HP's I'm able to hear deep whispers better.

I use gray ghosts. I'm pretty damned used to the wired headphones at this point, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings if I got a new detector with wireless. I'm just not going to spend any EXTRA money now for new wireless headphones

I never use any type of headphones in the summer no matter which detector I'm using but I stopped using wired headphones for good back in 2019 when I got my AT MAX.

I couldn't get rid of them soon enough. Was trying Bluetooth before they had low latency. I bought a $40 low latency bt transmitter and buds a few years ago and have no reason to look back.

I was the most miserable after getting my first Equinox, the 600, and actually used those ratty wired HPs. It seemed to snag on absolutely everything! Once I went wireless, I never looked back, BUT I have a collection of fine wired HPs here. Grey Ghosts, SunRays, and more. They are stored but hasn't been plugged in, at all, in years. To be honest and fair though, I don't have a days of hunt time with the factory wireless phones which came with my Equinox 800. Those wireless phones are slow, not crisp, and danged!!! Minelab is sure proud of them in the pricing.

There is so many good choices of wireless out there, definitely low loss and crisp. If I felt a need for a wired pair of phone, all I'd need to do it blow the dust off of my collection. Those wired headphones, which ML sent with the Equinox 600, is the worst!

Never liked being tethered to my detector by a headphone wire. Was so much better to go wireless with my nox 800. Had occasional connection problems with them that annoyed me so much I tried using the WM08. This solved the connection issues, but then the long wire to the WM08 got to be annoying. Now I have a shorter, coiled wire from headphones to the WM08.(bought at Goodwill I think) I keep the module in a pocket or clipped onto a pocket, and all is well. Great "wireless" connection. I don't feel tethered this way. Also, I can and do use a variety of headphones now with the wireless module.

Back
Top Bottom