Howdy Y'all - new member

thefabulousnip

Hello to all. I'm from the Alabama gulf coast and have been metal detecting for a little over 6 months. I've spent most of my time coin shooting in local parks and hope to start trying to find some of the history of the Mobile area.

I notice that you also swing an Apex. Do you have any tips for dealing with iron heavy sites?

I was going to ask you the same thing! I will start a thread in the "How to Use Your Metal Detector" forum shortly. The three things that I've tried that seem to help is a) I got the smaller "Ripper" coil ( 5" x 8" ), b) I turned the sensitivity down to 5 bars ( out of 8 ), and c) I slow my swing speed. I'm generally able to discriminate between an iron and a non-iron item next to each other fairly well, but larger items (e.g., an aluminum mason jar lid or a horseshoe) still ring up in the 80s which makes me dig them. Another bane of my existence is sometimes an old can may have disintegrated to the point where there's just a ring left where the top of the can was crimped the sides. The Apex goes nuts over that as if I'd just found Bluebeard's treasure. It seems that the Apex is fooled into giving high tones by things that are circular, even if they're low-conductivity items. Anyway, I'm getting ahead of myself, but am eager to learn what I could be doing better to increase my "good" target / "bad" target dig ratio (here "good" target means an old coin!).

West Mobile

Hello to all. I'm from the Alabama gulf coast and have been metal detecting for a little over 6 months. I've spent most of my time coin shooting in local parks and hope to start trying to find some of the history of the Mobile area.

Hi- Welcome to the Forum! I moved to West Mobile about 10 months ago. I have done mostly dry land detecting but hope to get to the beach when the peak season is over. Or after a tropical storm has gone through. I heard there are multiple digs going on ahead of the new bridge project where they have found 1800s relics, Indian artifacts and fossils.

Back
Top Bottom