First time feeling bad while detecting

Well....it probably doesn't help if you look like Pee Wee Herman.

Sadly, there is a lot of truth in the remark....I know if am a out with my 8 year old grandson anywhere I am hyper vigilant of people who around us, especially if we are in the park and he is away playing ect...

And rightly or wrongly, I do judge a book by it's cover when I see people, and I realise I am probably judged the same way by other people...What I do avoid doing is over reacting though as I am convinced the vast majority of people who a child may come across mean no harm....

At least the dad didnt care what you were doing if he ignored you like that. I dont go to playgrounds or picnic areas in the park while people are there. I always wait till their all gone or come another day.

At least the dad didnt care what you were doing if he ignored you like that. I dont go to playgrounds or picnic areas in the park while people are there. I always wait till their all gone or come another day.

This is the best policy. Perverts have all kinds techniques to lure children and a metal detector is just one of many.

On a related note, I had a four or five year old girl give me a hug at old man softball Wednesday night. I didn't know who she was but gave her a hug back. Her mom asked her who she thought I was, in a nice way. The mom said I looked like her dad. I told it was all good, I need the grandpa practice - ha ha.

I've never had anything like that happen while I've been detecting. Obviously, a parent wants to keep their kids safe but if the guy was so concerned about their safety, why didn't he come over to you WITH the kids instead of letting them wander off by themselves?

Well....it probably doesn't help if you look like Pee Wee Herman. Have a few pieces of candy on hand for everybody. It will be ok. Don't stress it.
Looking like or acting like Pee Wee Herman might get people's suspicions up, but I'd bet any money that the vast majority of child molesters look no different than the guy next door or someone's Uncle Charley.

A Long One

There were a few kids who were watching me as I dug some coins in a neighborhood front yard. One little girl, maybe 6 yo, said, there's my dad, I have to go home. I said to her, ask him if I can detect his yard. She came back maybe ten minutes later and told me he said yes. It was summer, and hot. I went over to the little girls yard and started detecting, and the dad came out and gave me a cold beer, and we talked a while. Still detecting his yard an hour later he brought me another beer, :). I ended up digging a mercury dime in his yard. When I finished he gave me an address of another house for me to detect, a couple blocks away. I went directly over and started detecting that address and who walks down the street, it's the same guy, and says come on over and have a hamburger, were BBQ'ing. A couple doors down they were BBQ'ing and he fixed me a burger and gave me another beer. That is three cold beers, a hamburger, and a Mercury Dime. Today he is my best friend and his three girls call me "uncle Harry".
Another time when I was detecting, a young girl started asking me questions, and not wanting to be rude, I was answering her every question. Well her mother came over and took her away. Half hour later while detecting on the next block a car pulls up and the mother gets out of the car and starts asking me a lot of questions. Like what is my name, where do I live, etc. I understand her concerns but, it sure leaves an empty feeling in your gut when someone is suspicious and thinks maybe you are not, who you are.

Not Me

Totlots , when kids and families are there it's theirs, when their gone, it's mine. I detect for pleasure and solitude not to interact with strangers and their personalities .

I have met a lot of really nice people while metal detecting. I met my best friend while I was metal detecting. Oh sure, I have run into a few bad apples, but for the most part, people are really nice.
HHH everyone

I have met a lot of really nice people while metal detecting. I met my best friend while I was metal detecting. Oh sure, I have run into a few bad apples, but for the most part, people are really nice.
HHH everyone

You have been very fortunate. You must be really likeable and look nothing like Pee Wee Herman .

deleted this message.

I actually got a chance to see your message before it was deleted and there was nothing hurtful, derogatory, political or controversial about it.
It just showed how asinine some of the people we have to deal with are and how they can anger us.
You probably did the best thing by deleting it though as some of the "moralists and "Holier than thous ", "been there and done that's" and people just looking to argue about something may have turned the post into a fiasco.:yes:

It is so sad that humanity has become paranoid because of all the psychopaths running rogue across the world. My heart goes out to you. <3

paranoia runs deep! into your life it will creep.starts when you are always afraid, step outta line, man come, and take you away!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

The dad was just doing his job, but in a very rude way. Rude isn’t quite strong enough of a word.

I get it, he wants to protect his kids, but to basically accuse you of wanting to “take kids” is uncalled for. He should have nicely pulled the kids away and then warned them of “stranger danger” afterwards.

Back
Top Bottom