• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Bucket Listers

longbow62

Forum Supporter
I have not found a bucket list coin since 2018. The only common bucket list coin I have not found is a Franklin Half. I have not found a Barber half, but I don't consider it an easy find for my area. I do okay on Barber dimes and quarters, but no Barber half yet.

I mentioned on the finds page I don't really see a lot of Seated coins posted on the finds pages. I see even fewer Bust coins. I always wonder why not. I figured Seated in many of the Northern and Eastern states would be at least as common as Barbers are here.

Any coin they stopped making pre-Barber are really tough to find where I live. The oldest Seated I've found was a 1851 dime found on a site that also produced a 1867 2 Cent coin for me. Tops on my old coins list to find are a Large Cent, Flying Eagle, Seated Half Dime, Seated Quarter, Trime, Shield nickel, and III cent nickel. I've found several sharp early Barbers meaning there was no reason the person who lost them couldn't have had a Late minted Seated half dime or quarter in their pocket also.

Bottom line pre-Barber coins for me are really tough to find.

I'm sure something bucket-list-worthy will come your way soon, Longbow62. You've put out the request to the Universe and the perfect find is in the making for you now. I've found that the best surprises seem to happen when you least expect it.

Same for me up here in Iowa Longbow. In my three years of detecting for the old stuff my oldest seated is an 1871 dime and my oldest IHP is an 1864. I haven't found any of the other stuff on your bucket list so they're all still on my bucket list as well. The top two for me would probably be the trime and the flying eagle. I think the design on both is awesome.

P.S. We're in such a hot, dry spell up here that I haven't even bothered to hunt for anything old/deep since early June. I've just been concentrating on tot lots, sand volleyball pits, newer parks for clad/jewelry, and a few freshwater beach hunts. No end in sight to the drought, but will probably try to start digging for the older stuff again at the end of Summer.

Last edited:
I have not found a bucket list coin since 2018. The only common bucket list coin I have not found is a Franklin Half. I have not found a Barber half, but I don't consider it an easy find for my area. I do okay on Barber dimes and quarters, but no Barber half yet.

I mentioned on the finds page I don't really see a lot of Seated coins posted on the finds pages. I see even fewer Bust coins. I always wonder why not. I figured Seated in many of the Northern and Eastern states would be at least as common as Barbers are here.

Any coin they stopped making pre-Barber are really tough to find where I live. The oldest Seated I've found was a 1851 dime found on a site that also produced a 1867 2 Cent coin for me. Tops on my old coins list to find are a Large Cent, Flying Eagle, Seated Half Dime, Seated Quarter, Trime, Shield nickel, and III cent nickel. I've found several sharp early Barbers meaning there was no reason the person who lost them couldn't have had a Late minted Seated half dime or quarter in their pocket also.

It really is area dependent. For seated You are talking about a period in history where the US fell into civil war and had to rebuild after it. So there had to be a reason for a lot of seated to exist in an area let alone be lost in heavy numbers. My area had an oil boom and is the only reason why seated are an easy coin to find. Bust coins on the other hand are hard to find here in my area because the population was so small and poor during their main circulation period. So much comes into play when trying to find specific eras of stuff.

I'm sure something bucket-list-worthy will come your way soon, Longbow62. You've put out the request to the Universe and the perfect find is in the making for you now. I've found that the best surprises seem to happen when you least expect it.

Thanks I hope so.

Same for me up here in Iowa Longbow. In my three years of detecting for the old stuff my oldest seated is an 1871 dime and my oldest IHP is an 1864. I haven't found any of the other stuff on your bucket list so they're all still on my bucket list as well. The top two for me would probably be the trime and the flying eagle. I think the design on both is awesome.

P.S. We're in such a hot, dry spell up here that I haven't even bothered to hunt for anything old/deep since early June. I've just been concentrating on tot lots, sand volleyball pits, newer parks for clad/jewelry, and a few freshwater beach hunts. No end in sight to the drought, but will probably try to start digging for the older stuff again at the end of Summer.

Flying Eagle is one I really want too! We were in pretty bad drought here. Burn bans pretty much statewide, but we've made it all up in the last couple of weeks. Now the humidity is just about unbearable. It was 93 degrees one day last week and the heat index was 109.

It really is area dependent. For seated You are talking about a period in history where the US fell into civil war and had to rebuild after it. So there had to be a reason for a lot of seated to exist in an area let alone be lost in heavy numbers. My area had an oil boom and is the only reason why seated are an easy coin to find. Bust coins on the other hand are hard to find here in my area because the population was so small and poor during their main circulation period. So much comes into play when trying to find specific eras of stuff.

True pretty sparse and poor back in the 1800's where I live.

:laughing: All dem coins is on mine :laughing:

Stick with it they will come. 5 years ago if someone told me that I would be finding mid-late 1800's somewhat regularly I would have told them they were nuts.

I would say you are doing pretty well with the old coins longbow. Sometimes it seems the # 1 bucketlister turns into the white whale. You have already found my # 1 Bl'r. A two cent piece. And for me the Barber half is #2. My previous # 1 was a seated silver which I found in a local yard, a beautiful 1888 seated quarter. I was shocked to find it there, also that yard gave up an 1846 LC and two Ihps a 1864 & 65. Thats my oldest silver and a pretty wiped 1829 LC is my oldest coin. So you just never know, keep digging they will come. As far as Capped Bust silver you're right, just don't see many of them found. A guy I hunted with a couple years ago did get a quarter trifecta from a site where the main coins we were finding were Barbers, V nickels and Ihps. He hit a 42 GW first then a Barber and a little while later he yelled I think I have a seated, no sir it was a 1821 Capped Bust quarter. In pretty good condition. The only one I've seen dug. Between the two of us we pulled over 50 silver from that site. He also dug a Barber half, a Walker and a Franklin but on different hunts. We never did dig a seated. Oh well enough, good luck and keep diggin. Mark

Seateds are hard. I've found more Spanish silvers than seateds. Not sure why.

I'm surprised barber halfs are a tough find for some. I've found 6 of them, and don't think I do anything special (other than use an E-Trac or course :)). It could be something cultural. Morgans are almost impossible in the east, as they simply did not circulate much. More likely in the west, and most I see posted are from the west. Could be something similarity cultural for barber halfs in certain areas.

I do know in the bust era, the bust half was the main circulating coin, along with some coppers. So, I've found 2 bust halfs, but other bust silver is tough around here (again, surprising that Spanish silver of the same era is much easier).

I've never seen a bust half dime posted, other than the one I have found (my avatar coin), or a chain cent other than the one I've posted, so I don't know what is with that. I think it is alot of luck.

I do know that I call the 1840s to 1890s the dead zone. Everything I find, pretty much, is before or after. Coppers are easier around here, and I rarely dig IH's, but that does not explain the data. I just don't know, why that range, especially for silver, seems hard.

Here in Minnesota, being a state founded in 1858, we don't see much past barbers and Indian heads, a seated anything is a rarity.

I often find 1700-1800's copper and Spanish silver but 1800's US silver is really tough to get other than Barbers. I have yet to find a seated anything. But then I live in an area that was all farms and people did not have much money.

Steve

Seateds are hard. I've found more Spanish silvers than seateds. Not sure why.

I'm surprised barber halfs are a tough find for some. I've found 6 of them, and don't think I do anything special (other than use an E-Trac or course :)). It could be something cultural. Morgans are almost impossible in the east, as they simply did not circulate much. More likely in the west, and most I see posted are from the west. Could be something similarity cultural for barber halfs in certain areas.

I do know in the bust era, the bust half was the main circulating coin, along with some coppers. So, I've found 2 bust halfs, but other bust silver is tough around here (again, surprising that Spanish silver of the same era is much easier).

I've never seen a bust half dime posted, other than the one I have found (my avatar coin), or a chain cent other than the one I've posted, so I don't know what is with that. I think it is alot of luck.

I do know that I call the 1840s to 1890s the dead zone. Everything I find, pretty much, is before or after. Coppers are easier around here, and I rarely dig IH's, but that does not explain the data. I just don't know, why that range, especially for silver, seems hard.

Some perspective from my area. I have found no barber halfs, but instead I have found 2 seated halfs. No walking/standing liberty coins. only one spanish silver and the only bust coin I have found is a half dime. I have also on the other hand found over 50 seated. Some of this is due to the areas I choose to hunt. I aim for old as I can get and often pass up on spots that would produce more modern silvers.

... Tops on my old coins list to find are a Large Cent, ....

Longbow62, I have spotted your problem right away . It's easy : Jonesboro, Arkansas is about 60 or 70 miles west of the Mississippi River. Right ? So if you merely go to the east side of the Mississippi, (aka the east coast), then you will find LC's are in every sandbox there.

Go ahead, make the few hour drive, and you will see ! :laughing:

Longbow62, I have spotted your problem right away . It's easy : Jonesboro, Arkansas is about 60 or 70 miles west of the Mississippi River. Right ? So if you merely go to the east side of the Mississippi, (aka the east coast), then you will find LC's are in every sandbox there.

Go ahead, make the few hour drive, and you will see ! :laughing:

Gee whiz why didn't I think of that? I bet I'll have a bushel basket full of LC's in an hour or two after crossing the Mississippi.

Seriously though there's older stuff over at Memphis. I have seen pics of good stuff from just across the river. Including LC's and Seated. Even a Bust dime. I have thought about it, but really don't know anyone over that way.

Just need to find a good spot, try permissions or cellar holes if you’ve got them! That’s where I make out all my older coins. No 2 cent piece though so good job on that! I did pull a 3 cent nickel and trime but they were at an old park that had millions of people go through their every year.

Every coin that you listed I have been able to find including a Capped Bust dime 1820 and two Capped Bust half dimes 1832.
Of the coins that you list as hopeful finds the Trime and three cent nickel probably will be the hardest to find because how they read for ID numbers on the Equinox 800. When I checked the ID on the trime the three I tried read ID of 16 and the three cent nickel was reading 7 or 8 on ID numbers. Both of them two coins read to much like trash on the Equinox.

Back
Top Bottom