Hello from SW Mississippi

MAD Mitch

Hey everyone, new to the hobby here. Some weeks back I got a YouTube recommendation of a vid from a channel called the Quarter Hoarder and it got me interested into detecting. My doctor says I need to do more exercise anyway so that is a plus.

Tomorrow my order of a Makro Simplex will arrive and I can't wait. I got all the other accessories I need already so I should be good to go. Where I live I don't expect to find any colonial stuff like the guys on that channel does but I will be happy with whatever I find.

Next to my house was an old house my parental grandparents lived. My grandpa in his later years developed dementia (he passed away before I was born) and I remember stories of him burying silver dollars around in the yard. I don't think it's true but I am going to find out either way.

I wanted to find a forum because I don't know of any other detectorists in my area so I can find info on this new hobby. Thanks!

I wanted to find a forum because I don't know of any other detectorists in my area so I can find info on this new hobby. Thanks!
You have come to the right place! There are tons of great tips and tricks here.
:fmdfwelcome:... from the Land of 10,000 Lakes - Minnesota! :cool3: Happy hunting! :mder:

Welcome to the forum and the hobby from Pittsburgh, Pa. I don't use a Simplex but hear they are a very good machine. It should serve you well. I also enjoy Quarter Hoarders vids. Good luck and good hunting. Mark

Thanks, guys

kaufenanger--I hope it's true but from what I understand they were poor farmers. I'm also not expecting to find old silverware for the same reason.
However my maternal great grandfather gave my mother 4 silver dollars to give to each of us kids when we grew up. Mine happens to be a 1921 Peace Dollar :D (though it would be more awesome to dig one up).

partsman-- Hey neighbor! I was a partsman for almost 30 years in GM dealerships, now an assistant sysadmin for an HD truck dealership.

markinswpa--the Simplex was more in my budget range and from what I've seen in reviews it had the most bang for the buck than others. Those guys on the QH channel always cracks me up lol.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome :thumbsup:

Welcome from central Mississippi.
This forum is a good one.
If you find a area that is too big to hunt for one person or want hunting buddies for the day, message me. Mrs. atomicbrh and I are always looking for short day trip hunts out of our normal areas.

Welcome from central Mississippi.
This forum is a good one.
If you find a area that is too big to hunt for one person or want hunting buddies for the day, message me. Mrs. atomicbrh and I are always looking for short day trip hunts out of our normal areas.

Hey. I'm just starting out in fact my first hunt will be Saturday (thankfully cooler weather has moved in). The only permission I have is my own yard, lol. It'll be like a practice yard so I can learn the Simplex (and if the stories of the buried silver dollars are true, so much the better).

So when I get some more dirt under my fingernails I'll let you know.

Back
Top Bottom