Nice merc, 2nd oldest IHP, and some history

TommyJay

Forum Supporter
This last week has brought in some nice finds, and some relics from the past. A week ago Wednesday, I was hunting my fave park and dug up an 1883 IHP. The town was founded in 1882 so it was interesting to find a coin that was one year younger...although dropped much later. Its also my second oldest IHP.

20210908_112922 (2).jpg

Today I was back at the park, and dug up a nice 1943S merc, along with the Levis button.

20210916_152939 (2).jpg

During the week I was working a mining claim that Im a partner at in southern WY. Ive been here many times before, and Im interested in the history of this area as the Oregon trail runs near this claim. Part of this claim sits in a nice wide flat, with a couple of draws on the other side of the creek....

20210913_110649 (2).jpg

Ive always been curious if some wagons from the trail came over this way and camped for the night, then headed up the draw to rejoin the trail 3/4s of a mile to the west. I decided to metal detect in the creek where I thought the ford was in front of the draw, and dug down deep to find the broken iron strap that I believe was from a wagon. On the other side of the creek I found the musket ball by the draw about 7" deep.

20210916_163619 (2).jpg

Although I cant put a date on the broken iron strap, a friend told me that the musket ball belonged to a pistol that required the ball be tamped in with a device on the barrel...hence the markings on the ball. He also said that the ball would fit in with the dates of the trail. I was too busy digging and classifying material to run through our sluice, so I didnt get to detect as much as I wanted to. Next time I return, Ill hunt for more relics, and let the gold pans get some rest.

Thanks for looking, and HH!

That's pretty neat. I wish there were a good way to find out if wagons or settlers went through some place. I have access to a place with a similar kind of history that I'm trying to find more about.

Luv the deep olive green patina on the IH. Great pix !

Thanks Tom

Congrats on the Merc, Ihp and other cool finds. Good luck, Mark

Thanks Mark

Great history there, although I dont think the merc was dropped by the wagon train, :laughing:

Thanks, lots of history here!

Looks like some good finds and beautiful country to be enjoying. Good luck at the mine.

Thank you

Nice penny and Merc!

Thanks

Congrats. That looks like a great area to hunt super neat location.

Thanks, and yes it is. Doing some research on a camp location that Ill try and hit next time.

That's pretty neat. I wish there were a good way to find out if wagons or settlers went through some place. I have access to a place with a similar kind of history that I'm trying to find more about.

There were many trails across the US. Some well known, others not so much. Theres a long stretch here in WY where the mormon trail, California trail, Oregon trail, and the pony express route follow along the same path.

There were many trails across the US. Some well known, others not so much. Theres a long stretch here in WY where the mormon trail, California trail, Oregon trail, and the pony express route follow along the same path.

Yeah but I'm thinking of something that would be much less well known.

Back
Top Bottom