Football season

jruckman38

Elite Member
Do you think they should be playing. COVID 19 is getting the best of them. They should have never started any sports.

Last edited:
I do sincerely wish those who have gotten Covid a complete recovery, but at least those who did not wish to risk their health could opt out for the season, and some did -

https://www.nfl.com/news/list-of-nfl-players-to-opt-out-of-2020-season

(quote from the above link)
"Under the amended collective bargaining agreement between the NFL and NFL Players Association, agreed to on July 24, players have the choice to opt out of the 2020 NFL season due to the COVID-19 pandemic."
(end of quote)

Whose they? Can you prove their Covid infection rate is any higher than the general public? KT has been enjoying the season, even with the empty stadiums.

I can’t prove it. ESPN said they do. Don’t get me wrong I like watching it too but come on but the mask on.

I only watch College Football. I dont know how well the teams that i like are coping with the virus. WVU had a good day yesterday. South Carolina upset Auburn and Clemson thrashed GT. Unfortunately the college where my money went got thrashed. Alabama killed then in the second quarter.

Whose they? Can you prove their Covid infection rate is any higher than the general public? KT has been enjoying the season, even with the empty stadiums.

75 players at Texas Tech have tested positive since June.
The coach at LSU seems to be bragging that most of his players have had it, he hopes they have herd immunity now.
Coaches are starting to get it, the games are being postponed, the schedule is becoming a mess.
The NBA put their players in a bubble, no way could college teams do that so now we have what is going on now.
A big mess and it's getting worse.

It's all about the money, without football many colleges will be in real financial trouble.

75 players at Texas Tech have tested positive since June.
The coach at LSU seems to be bragging that most of his players have had it, he hopes they have herd immunity now.
Coaches are starting to get it, the games are being postponed, the schedule is becoming a mess.
The NBA put their players in a bubble, no way could college teams do that so now we have what is going on now.
A big mess and it's getting worse.

It's all about the money, without football many colleges will be in real financial trouble.

Interesting. And KT does not dispute your observations, but looking at the overall big picture of college students and players across the nation, I am not certain your statements hold water. Of course, there will be local outbreaks, but it will likely not end the entire NCAA football season. Observe that some games are being postponed and played later. Yes, I saw yesterday that Alabama's coach had it, but after 3 negative tests in 3 days, He was allowed to coach again.
From what KT can tell, a lot of these players are getting tested on a daily basis, so if they turn up with it they are cut from the pack quickly.

I only watch college football so I'm glad they are playing. I really think the NCAA handled it well. I understand Kids could opt out and not lose a year of eligibility. I think 99% of them wanted to play and willing to take the risk anyway. No football and a lot of them would be out partying with a higher chance of exposure. At least the programs test regular.

Ken

Do you think they should be playing. COVID 19 is getting the best of them. They should have never started any sports.

No college football players have died from C19 and it's very unlikely one will. Of all the people who catch C19, athletes are the ones who will have the highest survival rate. Funny though, Saban is the single most powerful coach in college football. He test positive and two days later what do you know ? It was false positive. Which means you or anyone else doesn't have a clue how many positive test are actually false positive. Gotta stick with the narrative of it's oh so dangerous and we should shut everything down. Except Nick Saban said nah. I make 10 mil a year and I'm not sitting out. Lot of funny numbers being spewed for a cause.

No college football players have died from C19 and it's very unlikely one will.

Blood clots are showing up as a symptom of C19, hard to test for but this player got one in his heart and died.
The problem is an autopsy is the only sure way to tell if a blood clot killed anyone.
His school is trying to spin it after at first saying C19 caused his death and then recanted, nobody can say for sure but he got C19, then got a clot and it killed him.
His family believes the risk was not worth it...now.

https://heavy.com/sports/pittsburgh...ls-jamain-stephens-jrs-cause-of-death-report/

Coincidence, sure you can think that but other athletes have fought a hard battle with this thing since early summer and not all have come through fine.
They lost weight, some still have difficulty breathing, there are myocardial defects showing up that nobody suspected they had before they got sick and nobody knows right now exactly what the long term effects will be for anybody.
Regular people or elite athletes alike.

How many risks to kids, their future careers or their lives are acceptable.
1-10-20-100...I wouldn't want to be the one to make that determination.

We will know soon enough, after this thing gets through and I am sure there will be an accounting of how many decided to play, took the chance and lost.
Maybe their lives, maybe not, but for many their lives will be affected and will probably never be the same.

All for a game.

Blood clots are showing up as a symptom of C19, hard to test for but this player got one in his heart and died.
The problem is an autopsy is the only sure way to tell if a blood clot killed anyone.
His school is trying to spin it after at first saying C19 caused his death and then recanted, nobody can say for sure but he got C19, then got a clot and it killed him.
His family believes the risk was not worth it...now.

https://heavy.com/sports/pittsburgh...ls-jamain-stephens-jrs-cause-of-death-report/

Coincidence, sure you can think that but other athletes have fought a hard battle with this thing since early summer and not all have come through fine.
They lost weight, some still have difficulty breathing, there are myocardial defects showing up that nobody suspected they had before they got sick and nobody knows right now exactly what the long term effects will be for anybody.
Regular people or elite athletes alike.

How many risks to kids, their future careers or their lives are acceptable.
1-10-20-100...I wouldn't want to be the one to make that determination.

We will know soon enough, after this thing gets through and I am sure there will be an accounting of the many decided to play, took the chance and lost.
Maybe their lives, maybe not but for many their lives will never be the same.

All for a game.

He didn't die from C19. He had previous medical issues. I've known about this player for a while now.

there are myocardial defects showing up that nobody suspected they had before they got sick and nobody knows right now exactly what the long term effects will be for anybody.

Do some research on the myocardial defects. You'll be shocked at the number of people/players that already have this and it's not related to C19. FTR, I have researched this at the request of another person on a football forum. C19 is not the cause of the people who already have this and C19 won't be the major contributing factor in the future for people who get this.

He didn't die from C19. He had previous medical issues. I've known about this player for a while now.

there are myocardial defects showing up that nobody suspected they had before they got sick and nobody knows right now exactly what the long term effects will be for anybody.

Do some research on the myocardial defects. You'll be shocked at the number of people/players that already have this and it's not related to C19. FTR, I have researched this at the request of another person on a football forum. C19 is not the cause of the people who already have this and C19 won't be the major contributing factor in the future for people who get this.

Uh huh.
Spin, spin, spin...this is just the beginning.
Doctors don't know of the long term effects and I am going to guess you don't have a clue, either.
https://www.si.com/college/2020/08/05/college-football-coronavirus-covid-cases-opt-outs

All of our trips around the sun are numbered

It's a risk vs reward situation

Is there a risk - absoutely. Could an athlete that has opted out of playing to stay safe be killed in a car accident the next day? absolutely

Remember for these amateur and professional athletes - their "career" is relatively short-lived. High school athletes only get 4 years to play with their classmates. Likewise for college. To sit out an entire season in the hopes that your odds of catching the virus are lessened (but still there from other activities) may be a risk that they are willing to take

Personally, I can say that our local high school has had in-person attendance since mid August. They did have one week of hybrid schooling (only went 2 days and then 3 days virtual) in late August. The high school football season just completed for our team - during the season I believe a couple of the players did test positive - they were quarantined along with people in close contact in the classroom. To say that it would be better that these students never got to participate together on the field... well, I think that choice was better left to the students and their family. The coaches and school administration did everything in their power to make it a safe environment, and it seems to have worked.

Someday when I'm in my 90s, I certainly hope I don't have to look back on several years that I was forced to do "lockdown" in my house. Years of missed birthday parties, hugging loved ones, traveling and seeing wondrous sights. Only so many trips around the sun - make the most of what you've got

Happy hunting and god bless!

Clemson quarterback just tested positive. This virus is not going anywhere anytime soon it will get worse before it gets better and it’s starting too.

Back
Top Bottom