Posted at my job...

Silver Strike

Forum Supporter
And yet the bosses make more. :laughing:

Attachments

• 20210629_083339_copy_430x613.jpg
    20210629_083339_copy_430x613.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 415
I'm not sure schools even have spelling tests anymore. Correction: Schools in the US.

I still see people write "loose" when they mean "lose", and use the wrong "their", "there", or "they're".

I guess I'm just old.

-- Tom

P.S. I love the random capitalization.

Last edited:
I'm not sure schools even have spelling tests anymore. Correction: Schools in the US.

I still see people write "loose" when they mean "lose", and use the wrong "their", "there", or "they're".

I guess I'm just old.

-- Tom

P.S. I love the random capitalization.

Very good point about the schools, you got me thinking....... as far as individuals, even online, I would never want to make them feel bad if they write an incorrect form of a word or misspell something, as it could very well be the fault of their teacher who might have had way too many students in their class to make sure each one was learning English correctly.

Now as far as a business posting a sign, you would hope at least one of the bosses in management would notice when a sign posted in their business had incorrect English :roll:

Hey, I have had times when typing a post in a hurry that I would unintentionally use incorrect English or misspell a word, usually I try to remember to glance thru my post to spot any corrections I need to make, but it would not surprise me if I have posts with such errors that I missed, none of us are perfect, we all have our faults including me :lol: (and if anyone thinks they are faultless, just ask your spouse and they can refresh your memory :lol: .....just kidding, maybe don't ask, I don't want to start any family discord :lol:) (I'm glad my wife and I love each other in spite of our faults :lol: )

Very good point about the schools, you got me thinking....... as far as individuals, even online, I would never want to make them feel bad if they write an incorrect form of a word or misspell something, as it could very well be the fault of their teacher who might have had way too many students in their class to make sure each one was learning English correctly.

Now as far as a business posting a sign, you would hope at least one of the bosses in management would notice when a sign posted in their business had incorrect English :roll:

Hey, I have had times when typing a post in a hurry that I would unintentionally use incorrect English or misspell a word, usually I try to remember to glance thru my post to spot any corrections I need to make, but it would not surprise me if I have posts with such errors that I missed, none of us are perfect, we all have our faults including me :lol: (and if anyone thinks they are faultless, just ask your spouse and they can refresh your memory :lol: .....just kidding, maybe don't ask, I don't want to start any family discord :lol:) (I'm glad my wife and I love each other in spite of our faults :lol: )

My most common mistakes are switching "ie" and "ei" in a few words, or the wrong version of "capitol" vs. "capital". But, I used to do fairly good in spelling tests in schools. I'm not sure they even have those anymore.

One of the worst spellings I saw was when I was in 6th grade (over 50 years ago), when we had to grade each other's papers after a spelling quiz. The word on the paper I was grading was supposed to be "marquis", but it was spelled as pronounced ("markey"). Someone didn't study or just didn't care.

-- Tom

My most common mistakes are switching "ie" and "ei" in a few words, or the wrong version of "capitol" vs. "capital". But, I used to do fairly good in spelling tests in schools. I'm not sure they even have those anymore.

One of the worst spellings I saw was when I was in 6th grade (over 50 years ago), when we had to grade each other's papers after a spelling quiz. The word on the paper I was grading was supposed to be "marquis", but it was spelled as pronounced ("markey"). Someone didn't study or just didn't care.

-- Tom

There are a few words I keep having problems with, but mostly when I need to spell a word that I don't use that often, I will try to figure it out myself at first, but if it keeps getting marked as incorrect by the computer I sometimes will ask our Amazon Alexa to spell the word for me :lol:

Some words I will try to spell the way I think they are spelled but once written out I realize it's not quite right :lol:

I might not remember how to spell some words correctly but after writing them I will at least realize the spelling is wrong :lol:

There are a few words I keep having problems with, but mostly when I need to spell a word that I don't use that often, I will try to figure it out myself at first, but if it keeps getting marked as incorrect by the computer I sometimes will ask our Amazon Alexa to spell the word for me :lol:

Some words I will try to spell the way I think they are spelled but once written out I realize it's not quite right :lol:

I might not remember how to spell some words correctly but after writing them I will at least realize the spelling is wrong :lol:

This is me exactly. Except I google it, no Alexa or Siri is evesdropping on my every spoken word!

My favorite spelling error at work was a by a sort of know-it-all co-worker with at least a degree in History, if not English, too. He put a note in the breakroom about cleaning out the "refridgerator." This was back before smartphones -- I looked at that word -- doesn't look right -- I know we call it a "fridge" for short -- but convinced myself it was incorrect, and that "d" shouldn't be in there. He was pretty annoyed when I told him -- my entertainment for the day. :)

This is me exactly. Except I google it, no Alexa or Siri is evesdropping on my every spoken word!

My favorite spelling error at work was a by a sort of know-it-all co-worker with at least a degree in History, if not English, too. He put a note in the breakroom about cleaning out the "refridgerator." This was back before smartphones -- I looked at that word -- doesn't look right -- I know we call it a "fridge" for short -- but convinced myself it was incorrect, and that "d" shouldn't be in there. He was pretty annoyed when I told him -- my entertainment for the day. :)

:laughing:

It would have been funny if back then you had a dictionary at work and could hand it to that co-worker and say "let's see what Webster says" :lol:

I thought about Alexa listening in, but then thought that if they really wanted to hear us they likely could listen in thru our smartphones anyhow so I don't worry about it, it's not like I say anything criminal anyhow :lol:

Now I've heard some search engines might track your searches to send targeted advertisements to your screen to sell you stuff, I happened to come across a search engine to use instead of Google so as to help avoid such Spam ads - https://www.startpage.com/

(and I will sometimes just use the search engine to check my spelling because if you spell it wrong it will say something like "did you mean....." with the correct spelling :lol:)

...Now I've heard some search engines might track your searches to send targeted advertisements to your screen to sell you stuff, I happened to come across a search engine to use instead of Google so as to help avoid such Spam ads - https://www.startpage.com/
DuckDuckGo is a great search engine that also doesn't track you. It is very user-friendly and customizable, too. :cool3: https://duckduckgo.com/

:laughing:

I thought about Alexa listening in, but then thought that if they really wanted to hear us they likely could listen in thru our smartphones anyhow so I don't worry about it, it's not like I say anything criminal anyhow :lol:

Now I've heard some search engines might track your searches to send targeted advertisements to your screen to sell you stuff, I happened to come across a search engine to use instead of Google so as to help avoid such Spam ads - https://www.startpage.com/

I should be more paranoid about my smartphone, but am comfortable with not having the "hey google" feature turned on.

I get targeted ads too, I imagine everyone does. Sometimes I find it invasive, sometimes helpful -- oh yeah, I still need to buy tires! Anything I don't want tracked I google from a "private" window. Not sure it's really private, but seems to be working. So far I haven't seen any ads for (insert joke here) ha ha family friendly.

I also read somewhere that the data scraping / targeted ads helped save someones life -- the things / symptoms they were googling added up to lots of ads for doctors or cardiologists or something like that. Intrusive but it connected the dots!

I should be more paranoid about my smartphone, but am comfortable with not having the "hey google" feature turned on.

I get targeted ads too, I imagine everyone does. Sometimes I find it invasive, sometimes helpful -- oh yeah, I still need to buy tires! Anything I don't want tracked I google from a "private" window. Not sure it's really private, but seems to be working. So far I haven't seen any ads for (insert joke here) ha ha family friendly.

I also read somewhere that the data scraping / targeted ads helped save someones life -- the things / symptoms they were googling added up to lots of ads for doctors or cardiologists or something like that. Intrusive but it connected the dots!

Yep, I've gotten targeted ads for hobby stuff I was researching :lol:

I have heard if they choose they can listen in thru your smartphone even if your phone is not turned on, that you actually need to remove the battery to be sure. (not sure how accurate that is but it would not surprise me :lol:)

Back
Top Bottom